By anything I mean witcher/crysis3/ BF4 or better:

Here is my current build:

CPU: i5 2500k OC @4.5
    GPU: unlocked HiS 6950 2GB
    PSU: antec earthwatt 650W
    MOBO: asrock extreme 3 gen3
    RAM : 8GB (2x4) corsair vengeance lp
    1.5TB HDD and 120GB SSD mushkin enhanced

I personally think I should either go for a crossfire setup with a 7870/7850, or straight up buy a brand new car from the r9 series (not sure at all which one 280x looks like an ok upgrade atm), or MAYBE replace cpu (costly because I also need to replace the mobo).

The thing is I have a feeling replacing the cpu wont do much of a difference all the newer cpu clock pretty much at the same speed with higher temp...will it give a boost or should I continue with my beloved sandy
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2013-12-10 at 07:02 AM.

Deleted
    Higher resolutions requires more Vram, and as far as I am aware, using SLI or crossfire limits the amount of Vram that you actaully have. The best thing to do is find a high-end 4gb GPU. You should also look at getting a better watercooler and OC your Sandy a bit more, somewhere around .5 Ghz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OhT015ww#t=620 Benchmarks for top of the line games at both 1080p and at 1600p.
    Last edited by mmoc99dd852bb1; 2013-12-10 at 07:56 AM.

Sounds like you just want to spend money lol. 6950 is still a respectable card, and there is absolutely zero reason to upgrade CPU (imho sandy bridges are superior to haswell and ivy for the fact of how good temps are on high overclocks).

You didnt say what screen you had, there is a big difference between 1440 and 1080 in regards to how much frames you can pull off. If you have a 1440p screen or were thinking about getting one im pretty sure you need at minimum dual 770's or 280x's to get 60 fps on games like crysis 3 on ultra.

I'm not trying to sound cocky, but I own essentially the highest performing single card setup that one can purchase. I can't even reliably run 60+ FPS on demanding games maxed out such as Crysis 3, Metro LL and the such. Shit, even Witcher 1 is still near impossible to max over 30 FPS. Keep in mind that I run at 1080p. 1440p is simply out of the question.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, but you basically need to set your expectations to an appropriate proportion. However, if you insist on such settings, you will need to invest in a tri SLI 780 Ti setup which will run you a good $2,200 just on the video cards. You'll also need another $200 for a PSU that can handle it, and another $200 for a motherboard that can handle it. Not to mention cooling upgrades and likely a new case.

TLDR: It's possible, but you'll need at least $3,000 USD to achieve it.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'm not trying to sound cocky, but I own essentially the highest performing single card setup that one can purchase. I can't even reliably run 60+ FPS on demanding games maxed out such as Crysis 3, Metro LL and the such. Shit, even Witcher 1 is still near impossible to max over 30 FPS. Keep in mind that I run at 1080p. 1440p is simply out of the question.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, but you basically need to set your expectations to an appropriate proportion. However, if you insist on such settings, you will need to invest in a tri SLI 780 Ti setup which will run you a good $2,200 just on the video cards. You'll also need another $200 for a PSU that can handle it, and another $200 for a motherboard that can handle it. Not to mention cooling upgrades and likely a new case.

Not to mention the possible Screentearing and bugs due to tri-sli.

Quote Originally Posted by Malecesar View Post
    Not to mention the possible Screentearing and bugs due to tri-sli.
    Agreed. I think that if it's within someone's budget to drop a couple grand on high-end SLI or Crossfire, that it's usually best to buy one card and save the money. Then, purchase a single card from each generation change. This of course rules out the stupidly wealthy (and those with patience for SLI/CFX headaches) that can budget $2,200-3,000 every 8 months or so on GPU upgrades.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Sounds like you just want to spend money lol. 6950 is still a respectable card, and there is absolutely zero reason to upgrade CPU (imho sandy bridges are superior to haswell and ivy for the fact of how good temps are on high overclocks).

You didnt say what screen you had, there is a big difference between 1440 and 1080 in regards to how much frames you can pull off. If you have a 1440p screen or were thinking about getting one im pretty sure you need at minimum dual 770's or 280x's to get 60 fps on games like crysis 3 on ultra.
    About the CPU I was thinking along the same line .....I just wasnt sure, I know haswell and ivy runs hotter around same clock speed.....

atm I have a 1680x1050 monitor, I would love to go with a dual/triple screen setup....the 290/290x almost double the performance my 6950 is currently doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malecesar View Post
    Higher resolutions requires more Vram, and as far as I am aware, using SLI or crossfire limits the amount of Vram that you actaully have. The best thing to do is find a high-end 4gb GPU. You should also look at getting a better watercooler and OC your Sandy a bit more, somewhere around .5 Ghz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OhT015ww#t=620 Benchmarks for top of the line games at both 1080p and at 1600p.
    I already run a 4.5GHz....running at 5 won't do much more imo (most of the time the cpu isnt running at 100%) I already ran it at 4.8 GHz stable on my H80 closed loop cooler but I prefered the lower temp at 4.5 GHz.

- - - Updated - - -

just saying witcher 1 is a terrible example because everyone know it is terribly optimized. I believe a good crossfire setup with 280x should be able to handle crysis 3 at ultra easily above 60+ fps all the time.....heck one 280x should handle it around 60fps with occasional drop

so the only upgrade I will consider for now is the GFX my sandy bridge seem to want to hold up forever.....YES lol, So my GF will have the 6950 I'll just upgrade to a 280x or 290... (maybe I will wait to see if I could find a 7970 GHz edition)I just don't know which one yet. Anyway I will have to wait because the three card are OOS EVERYWHERE DAMN! (more and more miners I think)
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2013-12-12 at 03:44 AM.

Most people i know who tried eyefinity hated it, just keep that in mind. Sure sounds cool on paper, but it just does not translate to a better experience for most.

If i were you id get a 1440p screen with 290 when they come out with aftermarket coolers. 290's will be hands down the best price/performance cards on the market once they get proper coolers on them, lets just hope they dont massively increase the prices on those......but it wouldnt surprise me tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    so the only upgrade I will consider for now is the GFX my sandy bridge seem to want to hold up forever.....YES lol, So my GF will have the 6950 I'll just upgrade to a 280x or 290... (maybe I will wait to see if I could find a 7970 GHz edition)I just don't know which one yet. Anyway I will have to wait because the three card are OOS EVERYWHERE DAMN! (more and more miners I think)
    I think you're severely overestimating the ability of the 280x. It's just a rebranded 7970Ghz. I had it, and I can guarantee you that you'll be disappointed if you're expecting this type of performance. As said earlier, if you want 60+ FPS @ 1440p or higher on new titles, especially the demanding ones, be prepared to drop around $3,000 for the cards and parts to support it.

build pics

I think you're severely overestimating the ability of the 280x. It's just a rebranded 7970Ghz. I had it, and I can guarantee you that you'll be disappointed if you're expecting this type of performance. As said earlier, if you want 60+ FPS @ 1440p or higher on new titles, especially the demanding ones, be prepared to drop around $3,000 for the cards and parts to support it.

I will stick to 1080p this will be easier to achieve with a normal budget ty for your advice

imo you should mortage your home and get titan SLI

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Large Pixel Collider

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I'm using an HD 7970 3GB that OC's (and they all basically do) from 900mhz core to 1125mhz core with 0 cooling problems, and other than that with a setup quite similar to yours, but an older I5 with 4ghz OC, and I'm seeing 60+ framerates on all that good stuff you mentioned.

Opposed to 7870/7850 I think you should go R9, they are supposed to be a seriously valuable bang for your buck (GTX 780/90 performance ballpark for like $399).

Don't replace your Sandy yet. The most a CPU upg would do for you would be a few more FPS with ultra shadows and particles in a very crowded WoW situation, like an Ordos kill.

Crysis 3 has been patched btw - turn down a couple unnoticeable things and you'll get your 60fps using a 7970 OC'd without breaking the bank. Keep in mind his chart is for stock speeds, and you're clearly a user comfy with OC'ng : )
    Last edited by Kindahuge; 2013-12-14 at 04:28 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    Large Pixel Collider
    Yay highly irrelevant 4:28 video that could have been 10 seconds and make the same point

McFrotton what did you decide on? Looks like pretty much all AMD cards are out of stock.

I'm running a 6990 and triple 1080p monitors and I definitely notice slowdowns in certain games, metro i'd be lucky to get 20fps in full settings reliably, If you run full resolution (one 1440p screen would be similar to two 1080's), it gets even worse. To get what you're asking, the people that already responded are quite accurate, expect to spend 3-4k$ and even then not always get those framerates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindahuge View Post
    I'm using an HD 7970 3GB that OC's (and they all basically do) from 900mhz core to 1125mhz core with 0 cooling problems, and other than that with a setup quite similar to yours, but an older I5 with 4ghz OC, and I'm seeing 60+ framerates on all that good stuff you mentioned.

Opposed to 7870/7850 I think you should go R9, they are supposed to be a seriously valuable bang for your buck (GTX 780/90 performance ballpark for like $399).

Don't replace your Sandy yet. The most a CPU upg would do for you would be a few more FPS with ultra shadows and particles in a very crowded WoW situation, like an Ordos kill.

Crysis 3 has been patched btw - turn down a couple unnoticeable things and you'll get your 60fps using a 7970 OC'd without breaking the bank. Keep in mind his chart is for stock speeds, and you're clearly a user comfy with OC'ng : )
    bah r9 290x is almost just 50-100$ more than r9 280....I'll go for 290 and I shoul dbe fine on 1080p monitor (It should be shipped tomorrow ) now I am running on a 1680x1050.....even my 6950 runs almost everything at constan 50-60fps....but I switch on my gf screen (she is on a 1080p)
    to see the difference and I dipped to 30-45 fps... ouch.