Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bison91 View Post
    ur parents probably raised u coz they wanted u to cuicide one day...but not other ppl
    save the bullshit for ur self...
    Easy there tiger.
    If that were indeed my parents intentions they failed. I dont want to kill myself, nor have I ever wanted to; Im simply expressing my opinion on the matter, since this is a discussion. Kudos on your own opinion.
    I like juice

Quote Originally Posted by Fireon View Post
    Its very simple. If you think about it, go and see a psychologist
    You'd be surprised just how many people think about suicide.

To call it selfish is stupid. Suicidal people tend to be extremely depressed and feel that those around them would be better off without them. To call it cowardly is also pretty stupid, killing yourself goes against human instinct.

It's ultimately not something you can understand without having felt like it yourself or without a large amount of empathy. I don't really think the large number of people on MMO champ are mature enough to have any constructive conversation about it.

@Vizardlorde, I very very much doubt the large majority of people suicide because they want attention.

it's incredibly selfish.

if you've lost a mother/father/brother/sister/child, then you have probably experienced the loss and grief of a bereavement. To impose that level of pain on others because you feel depressed or have a small % of that suffering already is as I say, an incredibly selfish act.

Cowardly...? not sure, both yes and no in certain circumstances. Definitely selfish however.

Deleted
    My opinion is it is every humans right to live there life and end it as they see fit.
    I do think that if someone commits suicide that there is always a reason, if that reason isn't they had some kind of mental disorder, then it would mean that the rest of mankind (at least those in close proximity to the person who committed suicide) were a factor in the suicide(even with a mental disorder this may be the case).

I have thought about suicides pros and cons.
    Pros: Can't do anything after the fact.
    cons: Can't do anything after the fact.

Considering it is the end of all things from ones perspective, it's a rather frightening prospect. However if one has nothing to love and live for; which in my opinion is far worse, then it may very well be a better choice given we are social animals who need a focus for our love and in turn need to receive such love.
    Living a hollow shell of a life with nothing to love and live for is almost like being dead anyway.

Though all of that is my own opinion, in the end I do believe that it is a choice that one is entitled to make, so long as they don't make too much of a mess for emergency services. However it does not make it any less sad for those who knew/cared for said person, if there was any.

in life whatever problems you have can be resolved. In death you simply create new ones

Deleted
    I find it laudable people think that those attempting suicide are in a rational frame of mind, for me it was so dark and i felt so cornered i had no other way but to attempt the act to escape it all.

My mind blacked all facts relating to it because i found it so stressful and trying, i was only recently informed about it all again while undergoing treatment.

But i'll let you all jerk over it being selfish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suicide is never the answer. If you are so unhappy with life, change it! Look back on any of the dreams you've had about what you wanted to do in life, and no matter how silly those dreams may have been, wouldn't be better to just say "screw it" and try one of those, even if it means completely changing your life, than to just give up end it?
    If a fat kid falls in the forrest and no one is around do the trees laugh?
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    One cannot generalize that suicide is cowardly. Every case is different. There are people who did or who will commit suicide over a stupid little thing, but there are also people where I can fully understand the suicide.
    Are the possibilities where I would contemplate it? Of course. Terminal illness, with a high chance of lots of pain (cancer as example) and a low chance of a cure. I would want to end my life before it gets too bad. Should I lose my wife and kids in an accident I would find it hard and difficult to carry on. I might manage it, or I might "opt out".
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

I think those who see it as an act of selfishness are themselves selfish because they value their own emotional response of loss over the emotions of the person that drive them to the act of suicide.

Suicide is... Tragic. It's the last resort in every respect (because you'll be dead, even though religious people might disagree with me there). Sure, if you're convinced there's some kind of paradise waiting for you on the other side, then it might be an act of cowardice and selfishness, but if not (and let's face it: Most people who commit suicide aren't very hopeful of anything), it's a tragic act, but a choice that should be respected.

Just don't do it in a way that traumatizes others. So no trains and dropping off high buildings and such. Which complicates matters, of course...

Anyway, I am all in favour of assisted suicide. Someone who really has nothing left to live for, someone who really cannot carry on... That someone should have medical assistence after a full psychological examination. It would make it easier on everyone involved except the one who wishes to end their life, but it's a tough call, and one shouldn't do it in the spur of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
    it's incredibly selfish.

if you've lost a mother/father/brother/sister/child, then you have probably experienced the loss and grief of a bereavement. To impose that level of pain on others because you feel depressed or have a small % of that suffering already is as I say, an incredibly selfish act.

Definitely selfish however.
    And... forcing someone to live a life of misery because you can't handle them being gone forever is not more selfish? The loss of a loved one fades over time, living your life in misery simply because of other people is psychological torture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like most discussions, it depends on the case. It maybe or maybe not be completely justifiable....

Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post
    And... forcing someone to live a life of misery because you can't handle them being gone forever is not more selfish? The loss of a loved one fades over time, living your life in misery simply because of other people is psychological torture.
    you could choose to address some or all of the misery, work to reduce or remove it. that is the alternative I am suggesting. no one is suggesting you should continue in a state of misery.

Besides, a natural death, or even an accident, or murder etc you can often work through the loss. A suicide however transposes some of your issues onto those you leave behind. "why didn't he/she talk to me" "what more could I have done" etc

while I am at it one more point that might raise a few hackles.... those that attempt suicide and fail, generally are calling for attention. Those that really want to end it usually find a pretty sure fire way. I'm sure that comment will raise some objections, but it's not really that hard to make sure it works..
    Last edited by Tonk; 2013-12-10 at 01:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I certainly did consider it. I couldn't handle the emotional pain any longer. I was quite literally torturing myself. Suicide became the best option I had, as living was nothing but pain. It might seem "cowardly" for a normal person, but you have to see that a for a tortured mind, it isn't.

It also played a big role that I have pretty much always viewed death to be not that big of a deal. It's basically dreamless sleep. Think of the time before you were born. You were dead then, and it didn't inconvenience me that much.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    Easy there tiger.
    If that were indeed my parents intentions they failed. I dont want to kill myself, nor have I ever wanted to; Im simply expressing my opinion on the matter, since this is a discussion. Kudos on your own opinion.
    i am speaking of u...not about ur parents...u probably got me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
    you could choose to address some or all of the misery, work to reduce or remove it. that is the alternative I am suggesting. no one is suggesting you should continue in a state of misery.
    Pretty sure some people try, others find it difficult. Ever tried to pull yourself out of depression before? because it really isn't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireon View Post
    Its very simple. If you think about it, go and see a psychologist
    If only it were that easy!

In the past 2 weeks, 4 Canadian soldiers suspected of suffering from PTSD have committed suicide. As more info comes out about this tragedy, the safety net we've come to expect just is NOT there. Soldiers up here have a 'hotline' they can call if they're having a personal crisis. It's more than a 24 hour wait for a call back. A lot of good that does.

That being said, I just could not see myself 'pulling the plug' unless I was in the final stages of a terminal illness (and should that happen, I definitely WILL end my own life.)

Deleted
    If you must do it, do not let someone walk in to find you dead, for example just before you hang yourself or whatever phone the police and then do it right after.

Mean your family won't have to find you dead atleast.

10+ Year Old Account
    i am speaking of u...not about ur parents...u probably got me wrong
    You said
    ur parents probably raised u coz they wanted u to cuicide one day.
    So maybe you just, said it wrong?
    I like juice

I've always found people who call suicide cowardly or selfish to be missing the point entirely. As somebody who was once suicidal myself, the idea of taking my own life was utterly fucking terrifying. It takes a lot of courage to take your own life. As for it being selfish, there are only very specific cases where I would agree. A parent whose children had no other place to turn to (Maybe even parents in general), but if you're not responsible for another individual's welfare, anybody who tells you that you're selfish for wanting to end your life are just selfish themselves because they'd be sad if you did so.

Also telling somebody who you know is suicidal that its selfish and or cowardly really won't achieve anything. It would be like just telling an overweight child, "You know you're fat, right?" It achieves nothing and could possibly push them further toward making that choice, since you're just adding on guilt to their likely-already-massive amount.

I would support somebody if they wanted to end their life after careful consideration. Especially if they're suffering from some kind of permanent medical debilitation that will only get worse with time.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-12-10 at 01:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Willfox View Post
    Pretty sure some people try, others find it difficult. Ever tried to pull yourself out of depression before? because it really isn't easy.
    And now, with depression, add on agoraphobia, anxiety, insomnia.

It's extremely challenging to ask for help, much less face the stigma accostiated with it; it took me close to 3/4 years and 2 attempts with self harming to find help, and it's only recently i've been allocated support and therapy.