Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    On the flip side, I think telling other people they can't choose to opt out of life because it'll make you sad is extremely selfish.
    Depends on the situation. If it's "I have a terminal illness that causes me intense pain every waking moment.", I think most people would be fine with a loved one "opting-out".

If it's "I don't care about my kids, quitting heroin is just too hard", then yes, it's quite a selfish and cowardly thing to do.

It should be the persons choice and no one elses. It also helps with overpopulation, so yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Depends on the situation. If it's "I have a terminal illness that causes me intense pain every waking moment.", I think most people would be fine with a loved one "opting-out".

If it's "I don't care about my kids, quitting heroin is just too hard", then yes, it's quite a selfish and cowardly thing to do.
    There's quite a lot of in between. There's, "I've been addicted to heroin and other narcotics for 31 years, I suffer from schizophrenia and depression, I'm cold, miserable, and just don't want to do it anymore". In any case, I don't think I have a right to tell other people how to live or die. I don't think suicide is inherently selfish, although it certainly can be, as you point out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    dont talk about things you dont understand.
    Thank you. I lost two close friends to suicide and a lot of people here don't understand.
    When I'm online, I'm stoned out of my brick, and I don't want you to think otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    The depression ended like 18 months ago, I got rid of what was causing it. So I don't think I should have any future problems with it.
    Happy to hear that! It's a blessing in disguise when the cause of your depression is something you are aware of, like a physical ailment, as getting rid of that often lifts the depression. If you've not had problems with depression in 18 months then I'd say you're in the clear too, from what I know.

What I meant earlier by 'getting better' was when you are still aware you are depressed, but it isn't the 'stay in bed' type of depression. People often don't even see you as being depressed at that point, but it's a more dangerous type of depression to be in. You will know if you are depressed or not though.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

I think a better way to look at it is, 'try walking a mile in their shoes, then tell them you think it's selfish, cowardly, etc..'

I don't espouse suicide, but I do! respect someone's decision about their! life (whether I like their decision of not).

Deleted
    And? if someone wants to do it, just do it. But jezz just do it PROPERLY! It's such a joke when som1 had 5 or more ATTEMPTS on suicide, if You're doing something just do it the right way.

Also, cowardice? I mean, rly? Those who are up to commit suicide are FAR more brave and courageous than those who call them "cowards". Look they actually DID what you cannot even imagine, bah think about w/o sh1tting your own pants, cause fear of death is so strong in you that you want to blame/name everything which doesnt suite to YOUR point of view.... not to mention that being afraid of what is inevitable is plain stupid to say the least.

And last, but not the least.... is it egoistical? Pardon me but after suicide or death, those guys couldn't care less about EVERYTHING, because well, they are dead.finito.koniec.whatever.
    Also, living because others might be hurt? huh that's funny, but honestly fuck the others, such morals are good and dandy spoken by beholders who are not affected by anything not to mention strong and utter rule "first food..then we can speak about moral".

So if some1 wants to commit suicide, let them be, don't force them to live the way YOU feel is ok, in the end You are not right, they are not right...nobody is right.

I don't think I have a right to tell other people how to live or die.
    That's because you don't. To actually think that you can rule others and dictate how they act on their lifes in such an oppressive way [as so many people are doing in this thread] is tyranny.

Deleted
    I read somewhere that people considering but not preforming it are below average intelligence.

To go through it and kill oneself(not by impulse) requires higher intelligence.

I wish it was the other way around, now what we got on our hands are dead geniuses & idiots on facebook and instagram whatnot just blathering about stuff everyone else is.

Because of this so called "Ethic" and "hypocrites" we .. well the Doctors are torturing patients that have NO life quality anymore.

for example: the moment a patient has to lie in bed 24/7 and his only hope is to die peacefully. that patient should have the right to decide death if he wants without the hypocrites leaving their holes and say: no u r a doctor u must not kill him!
    such people should just die... i mean, if we love a person we should be able to let go and not forcing them to live and suffer for us.

This clarification ist needed but the most people, that have something to say, are all just hypocrites.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's quite a lot of in between. There's, "I've been addicted to heroin and other narcotics for 31 years, I suffer from schizophrenia and depression, I'm cold, miserable, and just don't want to do it anymore". In any case, I don't think I have a right to tell other people how to live or die. I don't think suicide is inherently selfish, although it certainly can be, as you point out.
    Well in the context of the OP (which I read before reading any responses), the article was about the relationship between the economic downturn and a rise in suicide rates. If somebody is going to kill themselves because they can't get the job they want or they're not financially satisfied, then I think it eliminates a lot of the space between what is a selfish act and what is sort of sympathetically acceptable in terms of suicide.

I don't pretend to tell other people how to live or die, but I am certainly entitled to an opinion on the subject when its presented as a socioeconomic issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    My uncle hung himself when I was 4 cause "they were out to get him", my other uncle started hearing voices after they threw him in prison for no reason when the dissidents started speaking up cause he attempted to flee the island once and now he reasonably believes "they are out to get him", my other uncle believes always being chased by someone, now i have to remind myself no one is "out to get me" when coincidences pile up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    I feel like it's the coward's way out.
    Nah, it's in our nature to destory ourselves, kill ourselves, and kill each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirstblood View Post
    Nah, it's in our nature to destory ourselves, kill ourselves, and kill each other.
    Were that true, a lot more people would kill themselves and each other.

I think it's an extremely selfish act. It's like saying "None of the rest of the people in my life who care about me are worth working out my issues." People who kill themselves don't care if you grieve, have to face life without a person special to you, or what the consequences of their no longer being here are to others (intentional or otherwise). They just want to take the easy way out and to hell with everybody else.

I think as the world becomes more introverted and keeps up its "all about ME" attitude, suicide will continue to rise.
    "I don't care how much they're suffering. They're hurting MY feelings by stopping it!"
    I'm sorry to say, but the selfish person is you.

Were that true, a lot more people would kill themselves and each other.
    I think he is being ironic because the guy was saying people who suicide are cowards and yet they are the ones who have courage jump on the biggest fear we all have.

Deleted
    I think it's cowardly to take the easy way out... It's also incredibly selfish to those you leave behind.

There are VERY few circumstances in which I would feel any sympathy for someone that has killed themselves. I don't like to make a habit of people throwing away their lives when there are billions that have been dealt a shit card or don't even make it to puberty.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    For cowards. There's more to that, than just easy way out, but why suicide. Losing will to live, fight to the death i say!

I want to be immortal, no matter the cost. NO MATTER THE COST!
    Don't think they are cowards for taking their lives, since ending your life is something hard to do.

Also I want to be Immortal aswell, let's become it together!

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I think it's cowardly to take the easy way out... It's also incredibly selfish to those you leave behind.
    but...how so?

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    they dont want to live for YOU so they are selfish... doesnt that make you selfish for wanting them to live for YOU?

they are a coward for not wanting to live... yet they are not afraid to die?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    "I don't care how much they're suffering. They're hurting MY feelings by stopping it!"
    I'm sorry to say, but the selfish person is you.