Poll: Do you think WoD will sell more or less than MoP?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Less. Not because WoD will be worse than MoP (it may be worse, or better, we simply don't know yet) but because subs just aren't as high anymore.

Has to be less due to fewer subscribers.

Probably more because it's better than MoP. (now it makes me want to buy it more than I've ever wanted to buy MoP)

Deleted
    Probably more, I was looking forward to and liked MoP (I mainly had the sense to look past "lolpandas" as I actually knew about pandaren lore and the fact they were going to be in TBC anyway, but I digress) but WoD has me much more excited and I haven't felt as such since wrath (which had me by the balls in terms of story, but the gameplay... not so much).

WoD will attract about 4-5 million in its first sale that's a given because of its free level 90 fiasco which will immediately give vets an excuse to avoid MoP all together.

But that's the problem...

WoD will only "last" about 3-4 months if its entire selling point is appeasing vets and old school players, believe me, they've moved on, they wont come back, they already have new communities they are invested into, so its not worth getting worked up over.

In the short run? WoD will see a significant rise in WoW players, but with all this talk of hardcore and cataclysm style then I can guarantee this game is going to shoot itself in the foot, WoD may be the death of WoW if it ends up taking that direction again.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least Mike and me are going to buy it... oh and Adam! So what does that make it? 4 copies?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The sad thing is, a fair few "vets" really haven't moved on. They seem incapable of it. They'd rather just stick around on forums like this one QQing about whatever takes their fancy.
    Not really surprising, most focus their ire on just a few features (lfr, lol) and they are heavily invested into the game, as should be obvious by the time they've spend with it. Its actually pretty simular to many relationships, they argue all day long, but they are so used to one another that they simply can't let go.

OT: As I said before it will come down to how they can market that thing. New models and a bit of shiney, if presented right, could get a few people to buy the thing. If they will stay or realize that this still is not the game it was when they left, only time can tell (the beta will probably give us give a hint at that). Same goes for the people currently playing. We will see how they like a change of pace and if the changes will work out in the end. The first solid impression here will, as mentioned before, be the beta.

Deleted
    Less, because people eventually move on. It took 2 bad expansions (mid-end WotLK and Cataclysm) and a very uninspiring next one (MoP) that failed to build up any excitement and poeple finally just didn't buy it and moved on. Seeing how MoP did nothing but bleed subscribers WoD is starting from a defeated position, no matter if it's good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    If the WoD numbers are higher than the MoP numbers, MoP hater will feel justified in believing that MoP was extremely poorly received. MoP lovers on the other hand will say that MoP revitalized WoW.

If the numbers are lower, MoP haters will say that MoP killed WoW and and WoD players are a mere deathrattle. MoP lovers will say that Blizzard should have stuck with the MoP game design or that the game is just getting older or shedding bad players.

See, there's something for both extremes! Personally, I hope it does really well because that would be the most entertaining result.
    hahaha I see what you're talking about. Either way, Blizzard is being shat on or praised.

i hope it doesn't. i'm hoping their decisions so far will have a very negative impact on their sells and sub numbers. i want to play WoD, but i won't as long as they're sticking to what they plan.

I'd say less. It just does not provide (so far) anything that would be more appealing comparing to MoP. But interest to MoP was significantly reduced by panda theme. This could give WoD some fora resulting in similar sell numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I know I personally do not plan on buying it I think my time in Azeroth is over. All my friends quit years ago and I haven't raided since second tier of CATA. I see nothing keeping me around really.

i want to play WoD, but i won't as long as they're sticking to what they plan.
    I will buy WoD no matter what they do. Not because I love them so much that I'm ready to give them my money for nothing, but just because of curiosity. I believe most people will do the same. If I won't be happy with my purchase or get bored I will just stop playing, until the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    I will buy WoD no matter what they do. Not because I love them so much that I'm ready to give them my money for nothing, but just because of curiosity. I believe most people will do the same. If I won't be happy with my purchase or get bored I will just stop playing, until the next expansion.
    Out of curiosity, would you, if you had the chance to take a look at in beta, try it? Would you not buy it if you didn't like it there?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Saying it will sell less is a pretty safe bet. The older a game gets, the less it sells. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the game though. A game this old selling as many copies as MoP did is a statement of quality however. I think it will sell fewer copies than MoP, but I still think qualitywise it's the best MMO out there even though I'm not playing it at the moment.

Definitely less. People are asking, "Where's the content?" in droves. Additionally, subs are down to pre-TBC levels and the past two expansions have failed to deliver on quality and quantity. From my personal opinion as well as asking fellow guildies, it seems like very few are willing to shell out the money on what seems to be a glorified patch.

There are just way too many factors against WoD and only one or two for it. We've got garrisons and updated models that probably all won't be available at launch for the positive side, that's about it. For the negative side, you have a failure of two prior expansions, very few dungeons, no new class, no new races, a time travel story crammed together by a retarded monkey, etc.

Less, this expansion has nothing new to offer with more and more simple mechanics. So far its much more like a patch with a big new continent.
    If they think they are flirting and trying to bring back¨old¨ players, they need to do better than that. Too bad for the free level 90.

And also almost forget how bad the lore seem to be on this,
    Another Horde Orc expansion with Garrosh in Back to the future,
    And we, going back to Hyrule saving the 7 descendants of the Sages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Well, it pretty much depends on how satisfactory MoP was imho. Quite a lot (subjective) seem to really dislike mop as a whole, and threaten to not continue..but then again - they are the same ppl that keep buying this exp after exp. And if so many ppl bought MoP after shitty Cataclysm ending, my guess will be it will be about the same - 2.7 mil. But keeping those subs - that's another question.

On other hand - WoD comes after launch of TESO (elder scrolls online), which will do a major cut in subs as it's not just "another MMO that's gona fail" (subjective again) and I really see part of market switching to TESO. I will, for example and will come to WoD just to chat with some guildies that will not play TESO as far i know.
    i dont think TESO will do nearly as well as people think it will. just because it has a strong brand name doesnt mean jack. that didnt help SWTOR. but like people are saying. this isnt a WoW vs TESO (or any other MMO really) thread.

OT: i think it will sell more. even if it doesnt keep all the subs it brings in, there are still going to be a ton of people (new and old) that at least take a peek at whats to offer. i think if they pull this off right, it will do great. it wont bring back every sub thats ever left but i think its a good start. from what i played at blizzcon, it felt really good. and that was only a tiny portion of pretty much pre beta content.

ive liked every expansion that has come out and im one of the people that truly does believe the game is better overall than it was back in vanilla and BC. i dont agree with EVERYTHING they have done to the game but i understand the reasoning.

Deleted
    Imo, it will sell more but guess what....The sub decline will drop again in a couple of months and by the end of expansion it will go below 7mill....

10+ Year Old Account
    While I'm extremely excited, almost as I was for WotLK, I do believe that it wont sell as much, but not in a drastic manner, it's still an expansion, and those sell a load of copies.