Thread: new engine

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

new engine

with the new file format dose this mean we are finally getting a new engine?

I'm sure they would have mentioned this if it were the case
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    No. It's just a way of packing the data.

Deleted
    No

close thread

Not sure why anyone would think we would ever get an engine rewritten from scratch. I'm sure 6.0 will have more updates like the lighting/shadowing or whatever else they changed for 5.0.

too bad would love to see a new engine

It isn't a new addon, but as far as changes go it is perhaps one of the few where we could see performance improvements.
    Or so that is what is being stated, so time will tell how that comes across in actual use.

Being on low-end hardware myself I welcome any updates which are not simply adding features, but trying to make improvements to performance of existing ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adic View Post
    with the new file format dose this mean we are finally getting a new engine?
    File Format and Graphics/Physics Engine are two completely, entirely separate things. It's like asking if your car gets a a new engine block because you got the tires rotated.

Also, a new engine isn't really needed, since the current one is pretty consistently update patch to patch.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by adic View Post
    too bad would love to see a new engine
    I feel like we really need a sticky that compiles a few hard facts what technical improvments to the code can and can not dot. A new engine in itself is no upgrade to the game at all. All the art assets, if they were even compatible with a new engine, would still be the same as they are now. Aside from a few things which might be calculable in retrospect with old assets most things won't imediatly improve. So while the prospect of a new engine is nice and all, the benefits would be most likely way in the future.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I feel like we really need a sticky that compiles a few hard facts what technical improvments to the code can and can not dot. A new engine in itself is no upgrade to the game at all. All the art assets, if they were even compatible with a new engine, would still be the same as they are now. Aside from a few things which might be calculable in retrospect with old assets most things won't imediatly improve. So while the prospect of a new engine is nice and all, the benefits would be most likely way in the future.
    You mean like the stickies we have now that most people largely ignore? Sounds great. You can't fix stupid.

That's like saying Windows is releasing a new operating system because they stopped using ZIP and started using RAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    You mean like the stickies we have now that most people largely ignore? Sounds great. You can't fix stupid.
    It's more for the "Here a link, go fetch!" type of response and is easier than collecting a bunch of IT links to various sites which would probably be written in a way that the average wow gamer couldn't possibly comprehend. But then again, stickies have proven to be useless, I myself actively block them out, as they are mostly a nuisance to my browsing experience, after all I very rarely make threads and they just reduce the visibility of potential interesting topics on the first page. Guess you are right about that.

To make a new engine would mean no raid tier at all for like 3 expansions, forget about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    To make a new engine would mean no raid tier at all for like 3 expansions, forget about it
    Jokes aside. It would mean no expansion for three years, actually.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Jokes aside. It would mean no expansion for three years, actually.
    Nah, the guys that write the engine are not the guys that make content. Or at least that would be quite weird, considering the field of expertise has almost zero overlap. The biggest issue would be the fact that 10 years of dead weight art assets would either need legacy support or need to be redone. If they were to actually redo everything 3 years without anything might be feasable (probably 4 considering their patch cycles and usually more complex procedures for newer assets) but that is a descision no one would ever make, so they'd go with the legacy support.

No, but there's bound to be some small updates to the current engine like there are every expansion.

"Finally getting a new engine"

???

What the hell are you talking about?

A new engine would mean they would have to rebuild a lot of the game as it is now, basically its a lot of wasted time for very little gain.
    Maybe some things like physics or better lighting would be possible but I doubt WoW needs that.

They are better off making WoW2 with a different engine and exploit its possibilities from the start than trying to make WoW run on a new engine.

Well, since OP's question has been answered, I have another one.

Does the new file format mean WoWModelViewer will stop working? It has barely been updated since Cataclysm, and it's already hard enough to find MoP gear, but if the new files are encrypted differently, it just won't be able to open them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Well, since OP's question has been answered, I have another one.

Does the new file format mean WoWModelViewer will stop working? It has barely been updated since Cataclysm, and it's already hard enough to find MoP gear, but if the new files are encrypted differently, it just won't be able to open them, right?
    If the data is structured diffrently and WMV does not support that format, then yes, it will stop working.