Poll: Do you think WoD will sell more or less than MoP?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    Yeah, but even if those decide to return for WoD, they still have to buy MoP first.
    So WoD cannot outsell MoP, simple as that.
    So Cata never outsold WotLK which never outsold BC which means Vanilla is the most sold game of all time and hooray, you nostalgia lovers can all go back to Blizzard with this and have a hard proof that people really just want to play Vanilla because clearly the numbers don't lie.

We should get together sometime and divide by zero.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacomman View Post
    clearly the numbers don't lie.
    The sub numbers don't lie...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I had a good laugh when Metzen realized he had to verify to everyone that the expansion was serious and for real and not just some side thing. This is just not something that needed to be done for any other expansion. Even WoD only has the time travel hand waving.
    Yeah, they even had to spoil the storyline and reveal the end boss in hopes of getting people excited. They didn't need to do that with previous expansions. It was basically just begging the people "come play our game, it has serious storylines and war, we promise!" But looking back on the expansion, I feel even that was an exxageration. Where was the Horde/Alliance full out war we've been promised? All I see is 5.1 dailies and past that it's Horde + Alliance vs a common enemy again. BORING. They shouldn't have hyped it so much, it just feels like a big disappointment now.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how WoD will do. It does have a more serious storyline that probably a lot of people will enjoy. But WoW as a whole is dying so I still doubt it can outdo MoP. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wacomman View Post
    So Cata never outsold WotLK which never outsold BC which means Vanilla is the most sold game of all time
    Ehm, all of this is actually correct. What are you aiming at? Nobody is using it to proclaim Vanilla as the best ever, all people are saying is that WoD can't outsell MoP, period. It is physically impossible. Unless some retard buys WoD without having MoP, which would make it unplayable for him/her.

Wouldn't it be great if it sold around 1 mil first day, which would be less than half of expected number of sales. I think they expect to sell at least 2 mil copies of the game day one. I really want this game to tank though, so they look at future expansions and ask themselves "is there enough content in this for it to be worth money".

Quote Originally Posted by Sageofthe10paths View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if it sold around 1 mil first day, which would be less than half of expected number of sales. I think they expect to sell at least 2 mil copies of the game day one. I really want this game to tank though, so they look at future expansions and ask themselves "is there enough content in this for it to be worth money".
    Or we won't get anymore decent expansions and then you won't have any good MMO. And who's expecting 2 million in the first day btw, I have high hopes but that's a huge improvement over Pandaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Ehm, all of this is actually correct. What are you aiming at? Nobody is using it to proclaim Vanilla as the best ever, all people are saying is that WoD can't outsell MoP, period. It is physically impossible. Unless some retard buys WoD without having MoP, which would make it unplayable for him/her
    Stop arguing semantics, it's borderline thread derailing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    i reckon it will be roughly the same amount sold during the first week. however subs will drop lower then ever before during this expansion, in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO... more, why? cause what made many people leave in MoP was the idea of pandas, but now Blizzard came with an epic world and it feels like Draenor will be a wild world with a lot of dangers

it will be less imo. many people definitely lost their faith in blizzard and several millions left during mop.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, this poll is somewhat silly - MoP will be required to play WoD - don't know many people that would buy an xpac to keep on the shelf lol, as such it's practically impossible for it to outsell the previous xpac You should maybe specify a time frame - first week/month etc.

Deleted
    Less.

Warlords is not an omfg no brainer purchase for anyone not currently subscribed. Kill orcs you've killed/seen killed before in a modified Outland. What appeal does that have to a broader audience? What appeal does it have to people who value good storytelling?

There are fewer people subscribed now than at the end of cataclysm. Thinking it is going to sell more than MoP means you think that enough people are going to come back to push us back to 10-11 million again, which is exactly what happened when MoP released. A gain, to be sure, but not a gain back to the peak with the release of cataclysm.

Subs will be boosted, but not to 10 million and subsequently there will be less copies sold.

I think a burning legion expansion would have had the same results, bringing the figure up to maybe 9 million. I expect Warlords to bring it up to 8.5 million and I do not expect more than 2 million first day sales of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    From what we all know about the current expansion, do you think it will be able to outsell MoP? While the MMORPG genre is getting more unpopular (especially with monthly sub), I think this one has potential to atleast bring a lot of older players back who atleast loved TBC. But it is still hard to tell if it can outsell MoP.

Sales from all previous expansions:

TBC sold in its first DAY 2.25 million copies
    WotLK sold in its first DAY 2.8 million copies
    Cata sold in its first DAY 3.3 million copies
    MoP sold in its first WEEK 2.7 million copies

How well do you think WoD will do?
    I think it will sell less. It's still WOW after all, it's an almost guaranteed sell for some at this point. To many gamers have years invested into the game and no matter what blizzard does they wont give that up. BUT....

I'd like to see it sell a lot less given the way things look for this game.

I'd like to see gamers take blizzard advice and NOT BUY WoD on hype and nostalgia but wait a few months, read a few reviews and talk to others about it, then decide.

It's what blizzard wants us to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much less than older expansions. Thats due to realise on 2 new mmos.

And who the hell would spend 200 euros to just play one game from scratch. (also old players who quit expansion before will be forced to pay up to 50-80)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    And who the hell would spend 200 euros to just play one game from scratch.
    It is regularly priced at €50, and it's currently available for €15.
    So that's not really an obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    IMO... more, why? cause what made many people leave in MoP was the idea of pandas, but now Blizzard came with an epic world and it feels like Draenor will be a wild world with a lot of dangers
    But people already left because of Pandaren. Of those people who left, I'd assume the the vast majority left for good.

If anything, it's going to be about equal. Really don't see it being more, really do see it being less.

Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    It is regularly priced at €50, and it's currently available for €15.
    So that's not really an obstacle.
    Sure, it's currently pretty cheap, but that sale isn't going to exist (most likely) when WoD is released. When it is released, a new player is going to have to pay $20 for the battlechest, ~$20 for MoP (unless they bundle it in at the start, which didn't happen when MoP was released), and $40 for WoD is a whopping $80 (~60 euro). That's a ton of money that one has to pay to just start up the game, and certainly would deter me if I had to repurchase from scratch.
    Last edited by lopk; 2013-12-13 at 05:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Sure, it's currently pretty cheap, but that sale isn't going to exist (most likely) when WoD is released.
    I disagree, I think it is a pretty safe bet that they will repeat the sale shortly pre-launch.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking less, simply because MoP sold less than Cataclysm. It's logical to think that only people that bought MoP are gonna buy WoD, and I'm pretty sure not all of them will. Now adding up the players that might come back from previous expansions (even though I doubt there are many out there), you know, for the nostalgia.

Personally speaking, I've quit WoW but am still subscribed (just so that I can talk with the friends I've made over the years) and will probably buy WoD just to check it out.

No no no. I think you have it backwards, a vocal minority (especially this forum) was the one defending MoP. If you look anywhere else on the internet you would've known that the majority thought MoP was a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Actually you're the one fabricating nonsense. You're delusional if you think there wasn't a huge backlash from Pandaria being announced.
    No, Pandaren had been a regularly requested race,
    By the arguments people have used about Pandaren, they should have quit when the game got Worgen, or hell should have not lasted through vanilla due to Tauren.
    Their appearance in in-game lore pre-dated the movie by years.
    Yes, it was nonsense.

Look at the threads being created to bash LFR, and then look at the content of those threads.
    People happy about something rarely create threads to praise it, but those unhappy will far more readily create one to complain.
    Looking how most people participating in those anti-LFR threads actually are in support of the feature, that proves it to be utter nonsense.
    You cannot judge the response by the numbers on the internet yelling loudly.

If the game lost people due to Pandaren, then good riddance.
    Acting like spoilt brats, they only dragged the community down and the game is better without them.
    Numbers do not make the game good, but the quality the community.
    And that is something which has been in decline even when the game was as its peak in subscriber numbers.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-12-13 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    That doesn't make any sense, old players who quit because they thought Pandaria was silly still follow the game.
    Yes, like me. I voted with my consumer dollars by not playing mop/cata and denying blizzard a sub fee. Now, that's a really small amount but, I voted again by coming back after seeing WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, I'm interested to see how WoD will do. It does have a more serious storyline that probably a lot of people will enjoy. But WoW as a whole is dying so I still doubt it can outdo MoP. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Yes! This is what I play Warcraft for. Demons, orcs, the burning legion. These are my favorite wow things. These are characters that I've loved since wc2/3 days, so I literally cannot wait. Plus, I love the theme of the new continent. /nerding out!

I ask out of genuine curiosity: why do people care how good/bad it does compared to Mists??? If you like it, get it. If you don't, don't. That easy.

Most likely less. WoD could be the best expansion ever but it doesn't change the fact that wow has been out for almost a decade. The games probably going to continue slowly losing subs no matter what blizzard does.