Malkorok 10H Holy playstyle

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j8c3km963jqrbvnz/

I've never healed as holy before, and I really think I'm doing a subpar job at it. Can anyone give me some general advice, specifically for Malkorok? Generally what I've been doing is Renew spam on the raid, Cascade nearly on CD or on a meta-proc, and then PW:Serenity/Flash Heals on people soaking or getting knocked up. The only option for PoH is on the 4 melee, so I haven't been doing that except when everything I listed is already done. 10s before the pull I pre-Hot and on pull I cascade with Sanctuary up, then swap to Serenity.

I reforged to 5k haste, and I'm going spirit > crit > mastery. I considered going mastery, but I'm not redoing all gems/crit reforges for the slight benefit if there even is any since I'm not exactly able to afford constantly swapping.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-12-13 at 07:14 PM.

Your druid seems like he should be doing a lot more throughput. But overall you aren't doing too bad.
    You should glyph lightwell for it to be clickable, lightsprings just keep autohealing the person below 50%, but they never get above 50% until transition phases due to Miasma. Could also unglyph SoR and put in binding heal, it makes it expensive but worth it. Just try to keep renew up on the tanks via binding heal, this way you could also keep one up on yourself. If you have the 2 set, put those serendipity stacks to PoH. You said you were having trouble with PoH on the ranged, put a melee in their group and PoH off him (the ranged shouldn't be standing max distance away from the boss).

Edit: Just wanted to say one more thing. I was looking at top parses for holy priests and there are two schools of thought: PoH spam or Renew refresh spam.

Just do it as disc, holy is good for padding meters(10% more assuming you have equal skill for the spec, which I doubt) but that is just padding, you'll probably do more hps as disc and help the raid.

99% of wipes from malkorok are when a genius steps on orbs just before a soak, fails to soak or tank death. Disc is 10x better at preventing 2 of these than holy, holy's just there to spam poh and look good with 4 people at insane shields and 1 person dead if something bad happens.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2693&e=2969

/focus tank of your group
    /make a poh macro for focus target
    10 sec countdown -> prepot spirit shell the first tank, pw:sboth GH twice, you'll probably get one PoH off as well
    When the fight starts poh 3x(use cascade on lucidity) then you can start holy firing and penancing on cooldown, smite once so you can AA on the 2nd set of penance/if.
    Continue using PoH, use shield when your side has to soak and his shield isn't green ,or if a tank goes yellow/red.

During intermission just spirit shell and non-stop greater heal, shield for rapture, pain supp during the rotation.

rinse repeat. It's also safe to assume your druid is underperforming, but with 200-180k hps for 2 healers that's generally enough for the entire fight, someone must be failing to soak or eating orbs, or not healing the right targets.
    Last edited by Fluttershy; 2013-12-14 at 06:34 AM.

Deleted
    If you don't really know how to play holy, just take disc. As fluttershy said, holy on malkorok is meter padding. It'll work if you know how to play holy, but you said yourself that you don't. For me personally, I completely failed trying to use holy on Malkorok, since you actually have to look at HP bars constantly, unlike with disc, meaning you accidentally eat orbs while trying to refresh renews and all those shenanigans.

Atonement is fine on Malkorok. I barely do anything more than that. Your other healer should mostly be taking care of counter-healing the miasma, you're responsible for tanks and void soakers. PoH can be okay, so can be SS. But keep in mind that shields don't get absorbed, meaning they will run out after a certain amount of time. So the crit mastery isn't really that strong here. 30 yard range might be another issue.

Disc simply has the stronger cooldowns on Malkorok. Barrier will help tanks tremendously more than a hymn or guardian spirit ever would. Pain supression allows you to take 15-20 orbs during blood rage, with holy you'd just die. PW:S is great for saving your/other people's miasma shields, since PW:S gets absorbed first.

You won't top the meters with 250k HPS as disc, but I can assure you that your 150k disc HPS will be better than your 250k holy HPS.

If you are not used to holy go with disc. I tried for holy on our progress, went disc at some point and it felt a lot better with speed shields on people who was running for soaking.

As Selesnya say your focus should be on dealing with void soakers and tanks. Though poh with AA up is really strong aswell + AA halo from the middle (Dont risk it untill an add have spawned so you dont kick all melee/tanks into the air) You can use spirit shell for extra dps/pws power if you got the 4 set, nothing really worth using spirit shell for in phase 1 anyway :P 10% haste and 3000 mastery will lower ya gcd and increase healing and absorbs by a nice lil amount, i tend to use it for that alot these days on farm bosses and on bosses with high dps check and not so high a healing check, and tbh i dont find malkorok being that tough on pure hps requirements as it requires a ton of dps, and this is speaking in the perspective of 2 healing ofc.

How does atonement work for Malkorok? Is it based on health or shields?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Been wondering this too. While it seem to work,I don't like not knowing what it actually does...

its not really about the healing output on malkarok anyway, as long as shields are kept green as much as possible the hps requirements are not that high, a good geared resto drood should be covering most of the healing at 250-300k, i primarily just atonement for an extra 100k dps plus while keeping the shields of ppl around me green and shielding for soaking, PoH spamming is mostly pointless as the healing is mostly wasted, as long as shields are topped for soaking and such it better to stick to atonement for extra damage while using halo from the middle now and then and plenty shields, main strength of disc on this fight is giving the tank soloing blood rage 18 secs of damage reduction, first 10 secs i use barrier while our druid uses survival instincts and at 12 sec mark pain supp while at the start i use spirit shell and soak my orbs around me while throwing a few heals on the tank.

Holy is not all that great for malkarok, the hps holy can do is good but its mostly wasted as the overhealing done on absorbs still raises your hps, holy will give the tanks no extra survivabilty for blood rage as without a decent cd wings will not save the tank, so if your disc gear is good its better to play that instead, holy is good for a few fights but you cant beat an extra 100k plus dps from disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Solely health based.

Just go disc so people will STFU about going disc. Nobody wants a holy priest, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    Solely health based.
    are you 100% certain?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by worcester View Post
    are you 100% certain?
    It's 100% certainly wrong. Blizzard fixed the shield mechanic that was already used on Tortos when they released SoO, I assume they learned from how awful Tortos shields were.

I'm not quite sure if it does or doesn't ignore health, but it certainly looks at shields first. Someone with 100% health and 10% shield is going to be preferred over someone with 10% health and 100% shield. Otherwise disc would once again be complete garbage (in fact, even more so than on Tortos).

I stay in Sanctuary for the whole of phase 1. At the start I run to the centre and hit Halo when my meta procs (seen as Halo costs 40k mana). Then I essentially use binding heal on people (with the glyph) to build stacks of serendipity. I have the groups organised so that the people near me are in my group. Then I use Prayer of Healing (which is lovely coupled with the serendipity stacks especially with 2 set tier) on a tank so that the 30yd range hits everyone in that group. I also use Halo whenever it's off cd and my meta procs.

In phase 2, I switch to Serenity. Holy is a really strong tank healer in this chakra, and Guardian Spirit is a really really nice cooldown for solo soaking. Even if it doesn't proc, that's probably because the 60% increase to healing is making keeping the tank up so much easier.

Back to phase 1, so swap back to Sanctuary. I normally use Divine Hymn here or just whenever people's shields have gone low and I don't want to spam to heal them back up (typically after someone fucks up and lets a purple through).

This fight is a Holy priest's wet dream, and I really don't know why someone would go disc unless they struggle on dps or their raid is really bad for hitting orbs or they enjoy doing less healing than they could ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Selesnya View Post
    It's 100% certainly wrong. Blizzard fixed the shield mechanic that was already used on Tortos when they released SoO, I assume they learned from how awful Tortos shields were.

I'm not quite sure if it does or doesn't ignore health, but it certainly looks at shields first. Someone with 100% health and 10% shield is going to be preferred over someone with 10% health and 100% shield. Otherwise disc would once again be complete garbage (in fact, even more so than on Tortos).
    Yeah cause prayer of healing by itself doesn't cover 95% of all the damage on p1.

Hey just wanted to say thanks to all the suggestions in this thread and swapped to disc. I managed 180-220k across all attempts and it trivialized a lot of our issues with orbs, and we killed him.

By the way, atonement is based on shields over health.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-12-19 at 06:37 AM.