[Cinema] Your Top Breakthrough Directors and Actors of 2013

Post your breakthrough Actors and Directors of 2013 here,

"10. Nax Faxon and Jim Rash, Directing - The Way, Way Back
    These two get a spot on the list for merely just the opening scene of the Way Way Back, it was so subtle, yet also menacing at the same time, and set the melodramatic tone of the entire movie. There was such a fine tonal balance between the water park scenes and the home scenes, and being able to make such an overdone fresh and unique. A very well done movie done, by two actors gone directors, for their directorial debut.

9.Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, Directing and Screenwriting - Frozen
    Who would have known two newcomers off of Broadway would be able to bring a movie that finally brought Disney back to glory? The writing was hysterical, smart, and almost satirical, and it was directed in such a direction. They were able to encompass that Book of Mormon humor and turn it into a family friendly animation that was incredibly enjoyable by pretty much anyone of any age or gender.

8.Shailene Woodley, Acting - The Spectacular Now
    Although she was just a supporting role in the film, she was really the soul of the film when I saw it, and did a great job playing the charm of the character, while not giving into the nerdy girl falls in love with a popular guy cliche. She portrayed an extremely realistic character, and was able to stand her own performance wise with Miles Teller despite having half the screen time."
    Read the rest of mine at http://thepandaflicksreviews.blogspo...s-of-2013.html

Post yours (doesn't have to be a top 10) below
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2013-12-23 at 04:02 AM.

How do people even know the importance of writers, directors, actors, etc. on a given film anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    8.Shailene Woodley, Acting - The Spectacular Now
    if you saw her work on the secret life of the american teenager you would disagree. i can't not picture her bad acting.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    if you saw her work on the secret life of the american teenager you would disagree. i can't not picture her bad acting.
    A bad performance in something else doesn't make a good performance not good.

10+ Year Old Account
    The girl who starred in The Book Thief, Sophie Nélisse, took me by surprise. I had never noticed her in anything before until I saw her in this movie and she kind of blew me away as Liesel Meminger.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    How do people even know the importance of writers, directors, actors, etc. on a given film anyway?
    The screenplay is the script, so that's kind of basic to judge.
    Acting is how well the actors do with the script given to them.
    Directors are who tie everything together, they set the tones and overlook everybody else at their job, you can tell a director does a bad job when there are bits and pieces that work and others that don't, and you can tell a director did a good job when all the components are melded together nicely and are strong.

They all typically have the same importance on every film, although sometimes a director is controlled by the producers (but not often, it's typically only the case with big blockbusters and a director who isn't all that experienced).

All the parts play the same significance of a role in pretty much any film (although some movies are much more acting based, some are much more visual based, etc.). You just have to know enough about the industry to be able to analyze it correctly and know what causes a movie to be bad or good (and usually it's more than just one thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    The screenplay is the script, so that's kind of basic to judge.
    Acting is how well the actors do with the script given to them.
    Directors are who tie everything together, they set the tones and overlook everybody else at their job, you can tell a director does a bad job when there are bits and pieces that work and others that don't, and you can tell a director did a good job when all the components are melded together nicely and are strong.

They all typically have the same importance on every film, although sometimes a director is controlled by the producers (but not often, it's typically only the case with big blockbusters and a director who isn't all that experienced).

All the parts play the same significance of a role in pretty much any film (although some movies are much more acting based, some are much more visual based, etc.). You just have to know enough about the industry to be able to analyze it correctly and know what causes a movie to be bad or good (and usually it's more than just one thing).
    Looked for a guide to the film industry, found this fun picture:

10+ Year Old Account
    So what you mean is. Don't worry so much about the work done into film or nitpick it to death? Cuz I'm da confused.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Lol there`s alot of dead ends. I would say that if a person have talent and are willing to work hard, he can be pretty much anything he like. Sadly alot of promising film creators never get much further than their debut. Apparently some ppl is content after a local succes.

OT. I would have to mention two country men. Both made some of this years best movies imo. Michael Noer`s Northwest about two brothers in a crime infested suburb and Tobias Lindholms The Hijacking about piracy in the Gulf of Aden (thematically close to Captain Phillips but a better movie imo). Both movies i would rate 8-9 out of 10.

I have been looking foreward to see The Strange Little Cat by Ramon Zürcher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9WwkoEjkJc&noredirect=1) But i simply have not been able to find it anywhere outside festivals. Hopefully it will be out on dvd.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the most brave directorial efforts this year came from Ryan Coogler, whose Fruitvale Station wasn’t only a thoughtful character study, but also a meditation on life, death, fate and family.

The most heartbreaking performance from a young performer was delivered by Onata Aprile in ‘What Maisie Knew’. Aprile stars as an innocent young girl stuck in the middle of her parents’ fight for custody as well as the moral struggle of two kind souls, who just might be a better fit for her.

Although she is not a debut performer, Adèle Exarchopoulos delivered the female performance of the year as a lesbian teenager in France in the masterful ‘Blue Is the Warmest Colour’. Adèle’s character grows on you over a handful of years, and witnessing her journey is as exciting as any action film.

These are my highlights for now. I might come back another time with some additional choices.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Arrowstormen

GREATEST. POST. EVER!
    You cared enough to post.