Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Whats the point of computer monitors?

Whats the point of computer monitors anymore if your standard flat screen tv can be used as both a monitor and a tv, and can be any sizes usually bigger?
    Semper Fi

Normally the smaller TVs that you might use as a monitor (21' - 26') are 720p. And they are also all 60mhz.

TVs that are simply made to be TVs almost always cost far more for the same quality when used as a monitor.

There's also the response time, which allows for the monitors to react to quick changes a bit faster than some of the larger (and older) TVs.

Deleted
    Its just annoying if you have to move your head to see the whole monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    You tried sitting 2 feet away from a 40 inch monitor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Resolution is better then size.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    Whats the point of computer monitors anymore if your standard flat screen tv can be used as both a monitor and a tv, and can be any sizes usually bigger?
    Because quite frankly the giant TVs won't fit at your desk. Also, I use two monitors, so buying 2 extra TV screens would be just impossible with my budget.

I use my 40 inch tv as pc monitor. It rox.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    Flat screen TVs are still generally low resolution compared to computer monitors.

Computer monitors have been at least 1600 pixels high for over a decade now, TVs are still 1080 pixels high.

10+ Year Old Account
    well of course you can use your t.v but then

how can one type on the computer while watching t.v? and do it in a way that is like... comfortable 0.0

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno about your TV, but my monitor is more adjustable so I don't have to put it on a pile of books or whatever to have it at the right height.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

BURN IN. some of todays tvs will have some sort of anti burn in but monitors have always been made to allow static images to stay on screen without causing burn in. like your desktop icons and what not.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    well of course you can use your t.v but then

how can one type on the computer while watching t.v? and do it in a way that is like... comfortable 0.0
    Picture in picture? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    You tried sitting 2 feet away from a 40 inch monitor?
    this...

also my PC is set up away from TV

10+ Year Old Account
    I still have a CRT TV so that would be the first reason

But correct me if I'm wrong - even high def tvs still lag behind monitors in resolution I think, which can be a problem if you're someone who does really fine graphical work.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that Smart TV's are the in-thing I surmise we'll be seeing a lot more of this type of thinking.

But just remember, this is first and foremost a gamer's forum, so pretty much any opinions on things like this will come from people that have their FPS first and foremost in their minds.

If that's true, then I guess games will have to be scaled back in the future like they do for consoles. That seems a much more likely prospect than graphics cards being scaled up while prices are driven down. Or maybe PC gaming becomes a luxury for the rich, even more than it already is.

This days? none.

My computer is not in the same room as the TV. We have 1 TV in our house which is a 55" and is in our living room. Our computers are in a bedroom which we use as an office. We both use 27" IPS HP monitors. I cannot stand non IPS screens.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Flat screen TVs are still generally low resolution compared to computer monitors.

Computer monitors have been at least 1600 pixels high for over a decade now, TVs are still 1080 pixels high.
    Monitors you speak of are 1600x900, the the TVs are 1920x1080 (aka, Full HD). The most used resolution was 1024x768 (well below 1600x900), then started going up.

Anyway, I still prefer using a smaller monitor for playing (19 inch at the moment, still the resolution is 1080p, but cheaper than a TV) and leave the big TV for movies. Too much pressure on the eyes