Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Headphones, Stereo and right ear

Hello everyone,

I purchased my DT 770 headphones about a month ago, but only within the last two weeks or so have I noticed that the sound from the right ear is louder, or seems to be.

I'm not educated on the subject, but I'm aware that this may just be how headphones work. Some sounds are just supposed to come from a specific ear. I believe I hear voices and bass more in my right, and I *think* higher pitched noises come from the left.

Is this what Stereo is? In VLC I can change the audio to mono, and it makes the sound seem more centered, however it seems to lessen the quality.

I've got to say, it's actually pretty distracting feeling like what you're listening to is mostly coming from the right side. I doesn't bother me too much, but I have lowered the volume for the right ear just a bit in hopes of making the difference less apparent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Deleted
    I had that on my g930 ones and, i kid you not, i hit the right phone a few times with some power with my palm while wearing it and it autofixed itself XD

But i think your issue might be configuration, you probably have it set to 5.1 when they're 7.1 or set to surround when it should be 5.1 - something like this.
    Also explore options like speaker fill, normalisation, etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    One of three things, honestly.

1) Your headphones aren't plugged in all the way. This can cause audio distortion sometimes. Just reach in back (or wherever) and give a little extra push to make sure.
    2) Your headphones are damaged. It's under warranty, so it may be worthwhile just to have them replaced.
    3) Software issues. If ALL of your sound is like this, across multiple programs, it's probably not the case.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I doesn't seem like they are broken, though. The womens voice is louder in the right. 27s the guitar that plays under her, the higher pitched notes are in the right and the low notes are in the left.

My xonar DGX is set to default, 2 channels, analog out headphone, exciter mode for >64 ohm.

Deleted
    Contact Beyerdynamic about that, they'll likely replace them. Mine had a similar problem (different volume between sides, but also resonance at low frequencies) caused by a hair stuck to the driver, which I stubborny removed myself voiding the warranty, but it's fixed.

My original pair of DT 770 pro 250's were giving me some distortion as well as more sound out of one ear over the other. I quickly realized that the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter that came with the cans had a bad solder job and was the cause of the whole issue.

Turns out it the issue is not exactly uncommon in Beyerdynamics DT line. Rather pay anything extra for a replacement adapter, I simply went and exchanged it for a replacement at the local store where I purchased it. Replacement has given me no trouble at all and still works perfectly.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Deleted
    But it's not a volume problem...

4:42 on that video. The lower notes of the guitar start first and play in the left ear, but they do not play in the in the right. The higher ones next play in the right.

Things are supposed to play at different sides aren't they? Like with music.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-12-30 at 12:33 PM.

Deleted
    It is that video. And yes, some audio is like that, i.e. not balanced, though it tends to be older pieces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stereo is two channels of sound. Most of the time, roughly the same info is put through both channels, so mono and stereo may sound similar, but it allows for the recorder to put more emphasis on one or another, especially with mixing stuff like music and speech. However... Is it THAT ONE VIDEO or are you getting similar results on all music? If it's all music/sound, then there's a problem.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Okay back to this problem.

http://iammosh.bandcamp.com/album/empire

Is this music supposed to be completely equal between the two ears? (aside from whenever it's designed to be unequal)

On 'Komodo' at the start the sort of violin sound is in the left (not only the left, but a lot more pronounced), while the bass is in the right. (again, not just the right, but a lot more noticeable there)

At 34 seconds the female voice is in the left and the drum stick/cymbals sort of sound that starts at 41 seconds is pretty much only in the right ear.

1:50 Violin sound mostly in left, repetitive back and forth sound in right, 1:59, guitar in right and voice centered.

So this is clearly not an old video. TB's voice is alot more centered. However, still a bit more noticeable in the right. If I lift off the right ear and listen to the left, it's not as deep as the right.

Edit: Strange, I might have lesser hearing in my left ear as if I switch the headphones around, the right side ear still seems to sound bassier even though that's the left cup.

Edit: I DON'T listen with surround, but does this mean anything? Is sub (bass?) more in the right at all times?

I guess the headphones must be slightly wrong if I a track to mono and still the right ear is more pronounced?

Trying to figure out what is supposed to be and what could possibly be wrong.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2014-01-05 at 02:00 AM.

Have you considered returning them for a replacement and seeing if the problem persists?
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

Deleted
    Listened to both with Sennheiser HD 595 and HD 598 while swapping ears reguarly and I do not hear the effects you are describing.

Oh, btw, that Komodo track from "Mosh" is great! Thank you for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Listened to both with Sennheiser HD 595 and HD 598 while swapping ears reguarly and I do not hear the effects you are describing.

Oh, btw, that Komodo track from "Mosh" is great! Thank you for that.
    I refuse to believe that you can't notice that some sounds are more pronounced in 1 ear. IT'S MUSIC.

What's the point in stereo if it's supposed to sound like it's all in one ear? Why not listen to mono then?!

That Mosh album is sounding great on my DT 770s. Perfect match for these headphones.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    I had that on my g930 ones and, i kid you not, i hit the right phone a few times with some power with my palm while wearing it and it autofixed itself XD

But i think your issue might be configuration, you probably have it set to 5.1 when they're 7.1 or set to surround when it should be 5.1 - something like this.
    Also explore options like speaker fill, normalisation, etc...
    It's one thing to beat a pair of Logitechs... it's another to beat a pair of actually quality audio gear. He should not have it set to 5.1, as headphones are meant to just be 2.0.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    No one has responded to my large post yet.

Edit: I think you lot are just fucking with me now. The same thing occurs with my old headset, onboard sound and xonar.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2014-01-07 at 01:58 AM.

Deleted
    Seriously. Anyone that says that the start of Yokai isn't mainly in the right is lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Seriously. Anyone that says that the start of Yokai isn't mainly in the right is lying.

I have listened to every example you provided at the specific times(and beyond those times) with my AD900x's, my DT 770 Pro 250 as well as my desktop monitors in combination with my Xonar Essence STX.

I do not experience any of what you describe above with any of the examples provided, including Yokai. I have tried to duplicate the issue with no success as well.

No one has responded to my large post yet.

Edit: I think you lot are just fucking with me now. The same thing occurs with my old headset, onboard sound and xonar.
    See, now you are providing the proper information that is needed to troubleshoot the issue.

Here's what we know so far, as far as what you've provided.
    This issue persists even after swapping to a different set of headphones.
    Your onboard sound and xonar dgx both result in the same issue.

So now some important questions I have for you.
    1. Did you disable your onboard sound in your BIOS prior to using your Xonar DGX?
    2. Have you installed the latest version of Unified Xonar Drivers? (They are highly recommended over asus branded driver, as they are frequently updated and provide all the same features minus the glitches and poor support).
    3. You are aware people are trying to help you, right? So have some patience.

It would have been so much easier if in your original post you outlined the problem, pointed out that the problem persists despite swapping headphones and regardless if you use onboard sound over your dedicated card. For the most part, it sounded like a hardware issue this entire time until your last post.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both my studio monitors, Presonus Eris E5s and Audio Technica ATH-AD700s had the start of "Yokai" coming out of both ears pretty equally.

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm inclined not to help just because anyone who calls me a liar when attempting to help usually gets the bird.
    Does this occur on any other computers? I'd almost start to wonder if there's a PEBKAC issue. No offense... Just ruling out everything because all this stuff sounds fine