Poll: Is the Monstrous Spineclaw spawn system badly designed?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowsion View Post
    I can't understand how people were completing this achievement within 1-2 months of the patch release, especially since mobs like archiereus of flame can only be looted once per day. It seems these people either got extremely lucky or there was a bug early in the patch. Spineclaw pet took me about 300 or 400 hours of camping, about 100 more hours than imperial python
    When Timeless Island first hit you could trade the drops with other people that got the hit on it, I know someone who got the Spineclaw that way. Also you can kill Krol the Blade in Dread Wastes loot the Elixir of Ancient Knowledge to get t credit for the Archierus one.

Deleted
    Cry me a river build a bridge and get over it.

Funny how half this thread is complaining about anecdotal evidence. I haven' seen Huolon mount ever, on three characters killing him nearly every day. Does not mean he needs to be buffed. I'm just unlucky. I got Bufo and one other pet on the first kill, does not mean others also have good luck on them. I hate to say it, but RNG is RNG.

Seeing all these "Oh, I got X or Y in a few kills, so who cares. The REAL problem is that I haven't gotten Z!" is pretty pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He's telling you upfront what's going to take. It's not ninja looting. It's pirate looting! YAARRRR!!!

Deleted
    Had this happen to me too. Was waiting for the rare, he spawns and 5 ordos farmers jumped me before i could tag it. After that I went on a 500 bloody coin killing spree.

I think its the worst designed rare mob, but not for the reason the OP listed.

The reason I think its the worst is because the monstrous spineclaw can spawn on any coast of the island. If you're farming it on the north west side beach for an hour killing dozens of spineclaws and one guy on east side kills a single spineclaw, it can make it spawn on the east side of the island where it will die before you can reach it. I've had this happen twice to me but I eventually got my pet after about 11 hours of farming spineclaws. That feel you get when you loot the pet is amazing after all that pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put more effort in, achievements are not mandatory.

Finally killed my first last night for 'Timeless Champions'.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    haha i killed more then 50 of rares crabs and no pet.! i got the pet after 60 kills more then 3 weeks in there

I honestly don't think the problem is the spawning mechanism. I think the issue is that rare mobs on the isle don't scale quickly enough/properly, and they're killed waaaay too fast, particularly on high population servers. On my server it virtually takes less time to kill the mob than to even announce it's up in /general. At least on Isle of Thunder there was a small chance you could make it to a mob before it was dead, if it got called out.

3 days straight farming him and not getting any luck from him.. stupidest thing .... been calling out and kept saying 100% to 0% in mere seconds..

I'm at around 100 kills give or take with no crab pet yet. They really need to up the drop rate for this guy.

Deleted
    they got to keep you busy untill MoP somehow

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's stupid. I've pretty much been on a break from the Timeless Isle for a couple of months now. The Spineclaw is one of the last 3 drops I miss for the achievement though, and it's been a horrible experience. I estimate I'm at maybe 60 kills or so. Sometimes you get lucky and get 2-3 kills in an hour. Other times it can be 2 hours without even seeing a spawn.

Considering how the spawn system works, the drop rate should have been at least 10x higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the pet on my first kill. RNG is RNG, and usually it isn't on my side. Once in a while though...

However, I will say it took a few months before I even saw the mob, and managed to get there in time to participate in killing it. I'm going to agree that the area it can spawn in is a bit too large.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zaaz View Post
    why dont they just put the pet in the store then if youre just going to cry about it. You missed your shot its intentionally rare good luck next time
    Yeah, let's put it in the store and idiots will open 20 new threads about pay2win again. DO NOT WANT

4 hours killing spineclaws to have it spawn for me.

Spent several 14 hour days farming this crab for the pet.. nothing... even had my wife help out.

Last night I saw the pet in the AH for 2500g....

What really drove me crazy about this mob was the fact I logged in on an alt 1 day and the crab was right in front of me. Killed it and got the pet.

The insane collect all the shit achieve isnt account wide and is one of the 5 items from the island im still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    What really drove me crazy about this mob was the fact I logged in on an alt 1 day and the crab was right in front of me. Killed it and got the pet.

The insane collect all the shit achieve isnt account wide and is one of the 5 items from the island im still missing.
    Ugh, yeah. This is why I don't like taking alts to the Timeless Isle. Which kinda seems to defeat the point of the place.

I wish credit for individual items in that achievement could be account-wide, but AFAIK no achievement works quite like that (would have to have a separate achievement for each item and a meta achievement, I think) so maybe the system isn't set up for it.

The loot system is fine. The pet is supposed to be extremely rare; so the developers implemented a system to make the pet just that.

I think that the community is the problem, and is one of the worst. Filled with o.c.d.-ridden, entitled people that want nothing but to get showered in rewards; destroying the game as they attempt to do so. The pet, as most pets, is supposed to be a carrot-on-a-stick to fuel activity. It is also supposed to be a surprise, something a few players would stumble upon, wonder about, tell others, and try to figure things out.

But not in this game! No, in this game players want every bit of fun, excitement and mystery to be spoilt, go away, and just be left with the raw information and tactics as to how to get as many rewards as possible in order to "win." Hence the data-mining, the excruciatingly detailed guides, and the emergence of a community that ushers everyone to use both of the previous things in order to be able to play the game. It's as if encountering a person that is not obsessed with a guide or two about almost everything in the game would be a small miracle. Meanwhile the developers have to work on a game with such awful players that ruin their own gaming experience.

The Monstrous Spineclaw is not even among the top 100 things that are wrong in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithien View Post
    I think that the community is the problem, and is one of the worst. Filled with o.c.d.-ridden, entitled people that want nothing but to get showered in rewards; destroying the game as they attempt to do so.
    Those people exist, but you think this is one of those cases? Where grind and repetition are involved, there are degrees, and people are welcome to their own opinion of where the reasonable threshold is. Blizzard could gate every single worthwhile item behind a 6-month grind or give raid bosses a 0.1% chance of dropping any loot if they wanted to (if they were insane) and people would be disgusted by that. Because they're not willing to work at all? No, because they're not willing to be the rat pulling a lever a few hundred times until the machine randomly dispenses a pellet. A little RNG makes for exciting drops and gives value to items. Too much RNG and the actual enjoyment wears off, and all you're left with is repeating a monotonous task.

Is this too much RNG? That's a personal decision.

The pet, as most pets, is supposed to be a carrot-on-a-stick to fuel activity. It is also supposed to be a surprise, something a few players would stumble upon, wonder about, tell others, and try to figure things out.
    The game itself actually tells you that it exists without having to see it drop first. The achievement lists the crab pet as a criteria in plain sight, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what a rare drop item with "crab" in its name is likely to drop from on the isle.

But not in this game! No, in this game players want every bit of fun, excitement and mystery to be spoilt, go away, and just be left with the raw information and tactics as to how to get as many rewards as possible in order to "win." Hence the data-mining, the excruciatingly detailed guides, and the emergence of a community that ushers everyone to use both of the previous things in order to be able to play the game. It's as if encountering a person that is not obsessed with a guide or two about almost everything in the game would be a small miracle. Meanwhile the developers have to work on a game with such awful players that ruin their own gaming experience.
    Pretty inevitable in a competitive game. If there are numbers, people will crunch them. If there is information to be uncovered, people will dig it out. It is possible to stay informed without becoming entitled and whiny, though.