Poll: Do you want paid boosted 90 in game?

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ...

I just posted in another thread about this.

I personally am not a fan of purchasable boosts to 90; I feel it lessens the players experience learning and "getting to know" their character. I enjoy getting attached to my RPG characters from DnD to FFs to Skyrim.

I still voted Yes though. I feel they could help battle the game's age by attracting new and some retired players. I don't want to see the game I love wither up and die, and that means new and returning players in addition to keeping current ones. Not everyone is going to want to slog through 4 expansions worth of questing just to get to a 5th's!

Blizzard has had plenty of time learning what its community wants, completely different and varying things! Purchasable toons that are NOT max level help some of the community jump closer to what they love most the end game.

For those that are against it, would you be able to stomach it if instead of "dungeon blues" a boosted toon had quest greens that were an ilvl equivalent to Dread Wastes rewards like most "fresh" 90s now? Fresh meaning a player's first 90.

I do not enjoy leveling, I do not want to level my 15th character through the same quests I've done a billion times.

I also understand how to learn mechanics before I go bothering people with shitty playing.

I will GLADLY pay for an instant 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoism View Post
    I do not enjoy leveling, I do not want to level my 15th character through the same quests I've done a billion times.

I also understand how to learn mechanics before I go bothering people with shitty playing.

I will GLADLY pay for an instant 90.
    Great argument.

Let's wait until someone else comes and says:

"I don't enjoy gearing, I don't want to gear my 15th character through the same raids I've done a billion times. I also understand how to learn bla bla. I will GLADLY pay for gear."

So compelling!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Great argument.

Let's wait until someone else comes and says:

"I don't enjoy gearing, I don't want to gear my 15th character through the same raids I've done a billion times. I also understand how to learn bla bla. I will GLADLY pay for gear."

So compelling!
    Right except nothing is won in his scenario. He skipped a few levels and is now free to level through relevant content and jump into end game. Your scenario (assuming we're speaking from an end game perspective) allows people to buy end game gear progression. Huge difference.

Besides, there's a world of difference between buying a level and buying an actual piece of gear. I really wish you guys would quit falling back on the same tired bullshit. It's not even compelling anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brodeo View Post
    i wish 1-90 wasnt such a meaningless experience. thats what i want. i did pre-cata leveling more than post and it was far better.
    Incredibly unpopular opinion. What exactly would they be adding? It sounds to me like you're just bored with it in general and that there really wouldn't be much they could do to appease you in this scenario.

In all sincerity, it may just be time for another game. Plenty out there with leveling experiences similar to that of "vanilla" WoW.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    This in combination with updated graphics and a free level 90 character with the purchase of WoD is sheer marketing brilliance. If you want new players to join the game 10 years in, give them relevant, fresh content and the ability to start every character at relevant content. I will take my free 90 gladly but I doubt I will be purchasing a level 90 ever, unless my guild requires a re-roll and recruitment is slow.
    Maybe they should focus on retaining the veterans rather than trying to attract fresh blood to a 10 year old game. That would be a smarter marketing move. No king rules forever. WoW's time is coming to an end swiftly and they need to focus on Titan and retaining the loyal veterans.

If they don't they'll alienate their loyal veterans that have been around since the beginning and it'll backfire on them.
    Last edited by Peso; 2014-01-20 at 08:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care, so I voted yes. I wouldn't pay for it, but I don't see why my not wanting to pay for it should stop anyone else to benefit from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Incredibly unpopular opinion.
    <looks at poll>...while polls are impossible to be 100% accurate...even looking at 50/50...this seems to be your opinion that it is unpopular instead of reality. Seems there's quite a bit of opposition as well as support.

I'm not a fan of it, but I'm not going to scream if they put the feature in. As long as it's expensive enough to deter people from blasting 10 90s with little money. Judging from Blizzards current pricing scheme of 25 for a race change etc...I'm guessing it's going to cost a pretty penny. And with that, I'm fine.

Though I'll never understand why people play MMOs only to complain about core features of them like leveling. You're right though, it may be just time for another game if people can't be bothered with things like leveling.
    Last edited by Zephel; 2014-01-20 at 09:03 PM.

Voted yes, had to choose btw rogue/warlock, now i dont. Depends on price ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    Maybe they should focus on retaining the veterans rather than trying to attract fresh blood to a 10 year old game. That would be a smarter marketing move. No king rules forever. WoW's time is coming to an end swiftly and they need to focus on Titan and retaining the loyal veterans.

If they don't they'll alienate their loyal veterans that have been around since the beginning and it'll backfire on them.
    Yes, that is a valid consern. I think it is kind of a trade off to be honest. They wouldn't do this if it hadn't been for the alarming rate of drop offs the last 3 years, they do have to have a money source while developing Titan or else there might not be a Titan. I do agree this could scare off some loyal customers, but at the same time loyal customers are usually exactly that. Loyal. They will most likely stick around even if they give new players an incentive to jump on the WoW train.

If we look at the level of innovation behind this it is quite a bold move. In the past everyone was forced to go through the leveling process no matter who they were. Which wasn't such a bad thing for most of us. At the same time Blizzard devs have stated many times that X amount of people have played and quit WoW over the years and only X% ever made it past level 10. That is definately a consern for the game, and now there is an alternative to do the level grind. Do I think this will be a wildly popular and used feature for the veteran player? No, not really. I think this will be used mostly by people who CBA to start playing at level 1 and don't have any level 90's to begin with. Looking at other MMO's and what they have to offer, I think this could bring in alot of new players. And new players are always welcome in my opinion since they help increase the lifespan of this game.

Potential drawbacks:
    New players, if alot of them, will be used to extreme convenience and might expect the game to be equally convenient. This could hurt the game long term.
    Veteran players and players who do not want this feature might quit the game.
    Guilds could force people to re-roll as the buy-a-90 feature makes it very easy to do so. This could hurt peoples wallets.
    leveling content might end up being neglected. If bugs arise, devs might not bother fixing them since you could just buy a 90 and skip all the content anyway.
    Could take away the soul and meaning of the older content.

So, this is a very fine line to thread indeed. I just hope Blizzard will solve these issues responsibly when/if they arise. We can't stop this feature from coming, but we can provide constructive feedback so that the devs will bother to see our point of view.

If we look at the level of innovation behind this it is quite a bold move. In the past everyone was forced to go through the leveling process no matter who they were. Which wasn't such a bad thing for most of us. At the same time Blizzard devs have stated many times that X amount of people have played and quit WoW over the years and only X% ever made it past level 10. That is definately a consern for the game, and now there is an alternative to do the level grind. Do I think this will be a wildly popular and used feature for the veteran player? No, not really. I think this will be used mostly by people who CBA to start playing at level 1 and don't have any level 90's to begin with. Looking at other MMO's and what they have to offer, I think this could bring in alot of new players. And new players are always welcome in my opinion since they help increase the lifespan of this game.
    On new players - not pro boost, not contra boost, just some thinking out loud.

I believe X% who never made it to max-level is something like 60-70%, for perspective. That's from what they have been saying. The numbers might, of course, change from one expansion to another, but obviously whatever the number is now, it's very, very siginficant.

Now, of course, they'd like to take as many of these people as they can and bring them to max level. But does this mean they will get to retain all these players? No, it's only a chance that some of them will stay. How many we don't know, but I'd venture a guess that not many. I expect quite a lot of the players who leave the game never getting to max level leave it for things that are not easy to fix, such as the graphics style (yes, I know, many like it, I do, too, but many, many, many people find WoW graphics unappealing) and the entire gameplay.

In other words, this "let's bring everyone to max level" is not at all guaranteed to work in terms of growing the number of players. It's a big experiment. It can entirely fail. It will very likely - in my opinion - do almost nothing, in terms of bringing and then retaining new players.
    Last edited by rda; 2014-01-21 at 07:22 AM.

Guilds could force people to re-roll as the buy-a-90 feature makes it very easy to do so. This could hurt peoples wallets.
    I'm still wondering what kind of a sad moron someone has to be to let their guild (!) coerce them to do anything, let alone spend money. I can't wrap my mind around this.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    zzzzzzzz....... this is getting so boring now, if they do it they do it, what an we do about it?, i voted yes because im tired now after levelling every lass to 90 on ally side, so the free boost we get me a 90 horde, and sometimes may use the boost if they decide on adding it to get a full set level 90s for the horde side but i cannot bring myself to level to 90 through levelling so it will become a much needed boost for me

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I'm still wondering what kind of a sad moron someone has to be to let their guild (!) coerce them to do anything, let alone spend money. I can't wrap my mind around this.
    Never been in a raiding guld? "We can't afford taking your main, the spec is really bad this season. Who else do you have? Mmmm, we have that spec already in the roster. Reroll X, then we'll take you. You know, Emma and Walter had to reroll the last season, it happens. It shows you are serious about raiding."
    Last edited by rda; 2014-01-21 at 10:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Potential drawbacks:
    New players, if alot of them, will be used to extreme convenience and might expect the game to be equally convenient. This could hurt the game long term.
    leveling content might end up being neglected. If bugs arise, devs might not bother fixing them since you could just buy a 90 and skip all the content anyway.

So, this is a very fine line to thread indeed. I just hope Blizzard will solve these issues responsibly when/if they arise. We can't stop this feature from coming, but we can provide constructive feedback so that the devs will bother to see our point of view.
    I'm for paid-90s but I agree with what you said.

The increasing convenience is definitely something to consider but I mean I think that boat has sailed since vanilla/BC. However, there are lot of things in place to prove competence ie: Proving Grounds, high PvP Ratings have always been a good sign. Maybe more emphasis will put into achievements like these, hopefully.

I don't see anyone being forced to pay anything, because afterall it's their money to choose what to do with. From my perspective I have refused guild invites due to not wanting to pay $55 sometimes for a faction/server transfer. If they would make a free 90 cheaper than $25 I think it would actually be easier on people's wallets and make people happy. As a result I'm sure people would buy the service much more often making Blizzard more $$ so I don't see the problem.

Yes, that is a valid consern. I think it is kind of a trade off to be honest. They wouldn't do this if it hadn't been for the alarming rate of drop offs the last 3 years, they do have to have a money source while developing Titan or else there might not be a Titan. I do agree this could scare off some loyal customers, but at the same time loyal customers are usually exactly that. Loyal. They will most likely stick around even if they give new players an incentive to jump on the WoW train.

Potential drawbacks:

They're just trying to squeeze every drop of profit out of WoW at this point.

I would love a "Maybe" or "I don't care" option. As long as they reward the players who work their asses off to get from 1-100.

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    They're just trying to squeeze every drop of profit out of WoW at this point.
    Essentially, yes. That is the way it works. Now, we kind of have to accept that a company wants to make as much money as they can from their products. What we can do to avoid it being extremely cynical and game breaking is provide constructive feedback. Now, I don't believe they are looking to break the game, I believe they expect a bigger interest for the game in conjunction with the upcoming Warcraft movie thus making the game more accessible to new players. But as many has pointed out, there can be issues connected with this.

When you make a poll next time, be sure to include all the possible answers, like "I don't give a flying fuck"