Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Wow. Tackling the important things I see.

This thread is why we can't have nice things.

So Sylvannas wants to feel feminine, big deal.
    Now feminists or similarly easily-offended people will cry out, whine, Blizz will change the model, change other models, cause a shitstorm, all because of a few extra pixels on a fictional character in a non-existing universe.

It's NOT sexist.
    <- female, 23.
    http://samaramon.co/
    My transmog & misc. blog!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND thread.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Is it sexist if women wear heels in real life?

What would you prefer, sneakers?

It's not sexist, you could argue that it's unrealistic and done mostly to make the character look pretty (which by the way is not just for male fanservice purposes, women like attractive female fictional characters too). But you know, if women in fantasy dressed in practical armour they would simply wear the same things men wear. Boob armour makes even less sense than heels. It would not be very exciting looking, and this is not a game centered on realism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by IzoGray View Post
    This isn't a special case either. I don't know what's wrong with devs when they think that women need to be in a tank top and heals. I'm just saying, Sylvanas is never shown wearing any heals. She's a ranger general for fucks sake. The heels are not only degrading to strong female characters, but pure sexism in a male driven development environment.
    Thoughts?

edit: sorry, this was meant for the heroes of the storm board. move please.
    What you have to understand as that in Heroes, not every skin is going to be wearing the same thing. Having her have some skins with heels doesn't make it "sexist." If anything YOU'RE sexist for saying it's sexist that she wears heels. What, so now women can't wear heels unless they're conforming to some male fantasy? WTF is wrong with this?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post

Was about to post this, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by IzoGray View Post
    This isn't a special case either. I don't know what's wrong with devs when they think that women need to be in a tank top and heals. I'm just saying, Sylvanas is never shown wearing any heals. She's a ranger general for fucks sake. The heels are not only degrading to strong female characters, but pure sexism in a male driven development environment.
    Thoughts?

edit: sorry, this was meant for the heroes of the storm board. move please.

So... it's the heels that's sexist and not the fact that there's an achievement for gang raping her in the throne room....

The '-ism' slope is slippery and really most people venting some opinion they've managed to develop over the years. You can call the fact that she has heels as sexist, I call it lazy. Her and the female 'sexy' dragons all have the same model

I think someone needs to go back to school and learn what the word sexist means.

A picture depicting an attractive woman wearing feminine shoes = NOT sexist.
    Taking something away from a woman that would be default for a man (or vice versa) = sexist

Just a couple of examples, I think people are too quick to jump on that word these days and like to apply to anything remotely feminine.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

I like looking at women dressed sexy. Otherwise, what's the point?

Not reading the thread other than the title I see.
    http://samaramon.co/
    My transmog & misc. blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I think someone needs to go back to school and learn what the word sexist means.

A picture depicting an attractive woman wearing feminine shoes = NOT sexist.
    Taking something away from a woman that would be default for a man (or vice versa) = sexist

Just a couple of examples, I think people are too quick to jump on that word these days and like to apply to anything remotely feminine.
    TBF, sexism isn't only when something is being taken away or withheld, if the developers came out and said "Sylvanas is wearing heels because women wear heels," then yea, it could be construed as sexist.

However, since we've seen iterations of her with and without heels, it's not sexist.

You know... I had to do a google search because it never occurred to me whether or not she had boots or heels* on... Turns out, its boots. The only question left in my head is... why the fuck does it matter? OP feels unattractive, me thinks... Maybe cause she doesn't look good in heels*. You should talk about world hunger or the cat I just kicked instead of worrying about what "fictional characters" ( just did Jay and silent bob movements ) wear. Ban me

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    He's talking about Heroes of the Storm.

Maybe next time, friend.

What you have to understand as that in Heroes, not every skin is going to be wearing the same thing. Having her have some skins with heels doesn't make it "sexist." If anything YOU'RE sexist for saying it's sexist that she wears heels. What, so now women can't wear heels unless they're conforming to some male fantasy? WTF is wrong with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Samaramon View Post
    Not reading the thread other than the title I see.
    Not reading the thread other than that comment I see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 0mni View Post
    Maybe next time, friend.
    Maybe next time, friend.

Dude, look at which forum this thread is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Dude, look at which forum this thread is in.
    Hearthstone? Even in that game you can't tell if she's wearing heels or not.
    Last edited by Boogums; 2014-01-02 at 04:54 AM.

TBF, sexism isn't only when something is being taken away or withheld, if the developers came out and said "Sylvanas is wearing heels because women wear heels," then yea, it could be construed as sexist.

However, since we've seen iterations of her with and without heels, it's not sexist.
    But women DO wear heels and men DON'T. How is that sexist, that's a fact of society.

It's like saying women wearing a thong or men wearing boxer shorts is sexist, it's not, because they do.

Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a persons gender, not depictions of things that are actually seen to be true with ones own eyes. If women did NOT wear heels, but it was perceived by people that they should just because they are women, then yes, it would be sexist.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

TLDR: Sexy =/= sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'm surprised no one noticed this was in the Hearthstone forum... which makes it even more ridiculous.
    You can just sense the presence of those hawt stripper heels though.

Come to think of it isn't her chestpiece effectively a plate tank top? With tassles and bling... luckily nobody ever aims at smooth abs/top of the mons/cleavage. It's just not done.

Hearthstone? Even in that game you can't tell if she's wearing heels or not.
    Exactly.

I think that previous poster is right about him meaning to post this in the Heroes of the Storm forum instead though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    But women DO wear heels and men DON'T. How is that sexist, that's a fact of society.

It's like saying women wearing a thong or men wearing boxer shorts is sexist, it's not, because they do.

Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a persons gender, not depictions of things that are actually seen to be true with ones own eyes. If women did NOT wear heels, but it was perceived by people that they should just because they are women, then yes, it would be sexist.
    Saying someone *has* to wear a specific type of clothing because of their gender is sexism. It's a prejudice about a specific gender.
    Take that sentence back 50 years and you get "But women DON'T wear pants and men DO." It's still sexist even that was a fact of society.

Also, there are women who wear boxers and men who wear thongs, saying that they can't or shouldn't wear those things is sexist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    TLDR: Sexy =/= sexist.

You can just sense the presence of those hawt stripper heels though.

Come to think of it isn't her chestpiece effectively a plate tank top? With tassles and bling... luckily nobody ever aims at smooth abs/top of the mons/cleavage. It's just not done.

Exactly.

I think that previous poster is right about him meaning to post this in the Heroes of the Storm forum instead though.
    My point was clearly there is no sexism involved because of the multiple versions of Sylvanas throughout the different games and stories, she's not always wearing heels.t

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's mildly offensive that she does, not quite sure if I'd call it "sexist" though. It bugs me that Blizzard does it considering her character, and I wish they stop it in the future, but they're much better than say...High Res (the people that do smite).

BTW,Using the word "sexist" is great bait to get a whole lot of "everything is fine, sexism does not exist, now get back into the kitchen bitch" posts, but won't get anything done constructively online.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.