Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is the Jedi Knight storyline the Spiritual successor to KotOR/KotOR2?

Good morning and happy New Year MMOC forumers.
    I have a question and being I don't have my authenticator dongle with me at work I can't ask it on the official SWtOR forums. With MoP coming to a close and a WoD release (too) far into this year I'm finding myself wanting to pick SWtOR back up. I've already completed the 1-50 as a Sith Warrior back before the F2P conversion. I had a friend claim that the Jedi Knight storyline was a sort of "spiritual successor" and "taken pretty much alone it's likely what KotOR 3 should of been".

Is this true? Please no spoilers if you can help it. And thanks for all the responses in advance.
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Kinda, yea. It leads up to basically killing the Emperor that corrupted Revan and Malak and the reveal of his atrocities & grand plan.. Because you're the hero of Tython as a Jedi Knight.

I recently finished KOTOR 1 & 2. JK's TOR storyline is right in the same ballpark. I actually like JK's story more than KOTOR.The Jedi Knight story is the best TOR offers.

Imperial Agent is a close second in terms of story. But the gameplay for IA is terrible.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-01-02 at 04:57 PM.

It's more of a successor to KOTOR I than 2 - it's a traditional Bioware story about the epic hero that is the greatest hero ever doing the most amazing heroic things ever. Some really good companions, one that made me want to stab him through my monitor, one dud. Not my cup of tea storywise, but if you're looking for KOTOR-esque action, my guess is you will really enjoy it.
    Last edited by Lesaberisa; 2014-01-02 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although not official, most players agree the Jedi Knight storyline is what KotOR 3 would have been if it had been a single player game. It hits all the high notes that are the "hero's journey", a formula Bioware is extremely good at using. It also includes the player as a Jedi savant who has little to no training before being thrust into the world, epic confrontations, choices about whether forgiveness or punishment is the best way, companions with dark secrets, betrayal, redemption, and a friggin galactic ceremony(ies).

Jedi Knight is probably one of if not the best class story imo. Throw in Trooper and Sith Inquisitor and you've definitely got my top three.

Worst story ever though? Jedi Consular. Whatever you do, never, EVER play the Jedi Consular unless you absolutely must.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played it myself, but i've seen a Youtube "Lets Play" and i echo the comments people made here. Its the closest to Kotor 3 you'll get anytime soon. I still think Imperial Agent is the best though =P

Yes, if you want Kotor 2's sequel, play Jedi Knight.

Imperial Agent story is overrated.
    All others are worse.

I suggest to watch it on youtube.
    If you cannot find that class's story, it is because the story is bad.
    No one wants to waste his time to make one.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2014-01-02 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Imperial Agent is a close second in terms of story. But the gameplay for IA is terrible.
    Depends on what type of agent you play =P

For me, playing a Sniper is the most fun I've had in the game out of all the classes I've tried so far. Playing an operative was like chewing glass after sipping acid though.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

yup, as others have alread explained. I also want to stress that jedi knight is among the best stories in the game and definitley the one that oozes the most star wars.
    and if you are really really into the story, you might also want to pick up the novel "revan", it deals with a lot that happened between KOTOR2 and SWTOR

didn't play yet jedi knight since i played sith warrior, for me Sith warrior got the best story/gameplay in game.

Quote Originally Posted by lakisa View Post
    didn't play yet jedi knight since i played sith warrior, for me Sith warrior got the best story/gameplay in game.
    Sith Warrior has a great story, with some genuinely amusing dialogue to boot(especially if you play your toon as wiseass).

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy181 View Post
    Jedi Knight is probably one of if not the best class story imo. Throw in Trooper and Sith Inquisitor and you've definitely got my top three.

Worst story ever though? Jedi Consular. Whatever you do, never, EVER play the Jedi Consular unless you absolutely must.
    Yeah, I think my insistence to play as Consular (because it fit my RP-idea) eventually led to my boredom of SWTOR.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Agree on Jedi Consular. Couldn't even make it beyond chapter 1. Felt like a chore to play through. When I found myself spacebar-ing most of the class story I just set the character aside and made a Trooper.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Inquisitor storyline.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I would say the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior have the best stories. None of them measure up to Knights of the Old Republic though, simply because in the end your choices affect your story much less than it did in that game. At least that was how I always felt. It always seemed like Republic classes and their stories were clearly designed with the good choices in mind, and vice versa for Empire classes. Knights of the Old Republic felt more flexible in that regard. But still, the Jedi Knight certainly has a great story, and the Sith Warrior is probably the second best.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I would say the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior have the best stories. None of them measure up to Knights of the Old Republic though, simply because in the end your choices affect your story much less than it did in that game. At least that was how I always felt. It always seemed like Republic classes and their stories were clearly designed with the good choices in mind, and vice versa for Empire classes. Knights of the Old Republic felt more flexible in that regard. But still, the Jedi Knight certainly has a great story, and the Sith Warrior is probably the second best.
    I would have liked more varied endings to be sure, all you get as an Inquis is one of three different titles in the the cinematic that will never be used again.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Agree on Jedi Consular. Couldn't even make it beyond chapter 1. Felt like a chore to play through. When I found myself spacebar-ing most of the class story I just set the character aside and made a Trooper.
    I've done the Consular story twice all of the way through and its far from terrible. It was more of what a "Jedi" story should be about, diplomacy and influencing galactic events. Its not about pushing the button, its about making sure the button works and someone is there to push it.

I'm amazed so many people like the JK story. I'm still in Chapter 3 because I just find it to be so plodding. Even more so than the BH story.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    I'm amazed so many people like the JK story. I'm still in Chapter 3 because I just find it to be so plodding. Even more so than the BH story.
    I don't disagree with you.
    All main stories are shallow. (The side quests are even worse.)

This explains why it is free to play.
    Just watch it on youtube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    Good morning and happy New Year MMOC forumers.
    I have a question and being I don't have my authenticator dongle with me at work I can't ask it on the official SWtOR forums. With MoP coming to a close and a WoD release (too) far into this year I'm finding myself wanting to pick SWtOR back up. I've already completed the 1-50 as a Sith Warrior back before the F2P conversion. I had a friend claim that the Jedi Knight storyline was a sort of "spiritual successor" and "taken pretty much alone it's likely what KotOR 3 should of been".

Is this true? Please no spoilers if you can help it. And thanks for all the responses in advance.
    The JK story is definitely Kotor 3. Although I'd like to think that a certain red person you meet along the way could've been the premise of a third Kotor, being a companion at one point to some important characters.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."