Going from laptop to Desktop help!

Ok! basically I currently play wow on this laptop-

Mainboard : Alienware

Chipset : Intel PM55

Processor : Intel Core i7 740QM 1733 MHz max : 2904

Physical Memory : 4096 MB 2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM

Video Card : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series

Hard Disk : OCZ-AGILITY3 ATA Device 240GB

yes I know Alienware is overpriced, but I bought the laptop second hand for £300. Ok so basically the issue I've had ever since I've started raiding 25 man is that during boss fights my fps drop to 8-10fps, this is on EVERY boss fight. I learnt to cope with it, but the thing is, I really want to do better and get more ranks etc and I feel like my fps is hurting me especially during AoE sections because i'm basically stuck with 3-4 fps. Personally, i'm surprised my laptop struggles as much as it does with WoW given that I can play games like sleeping dogs or the witcher just fine. But after doing some reading I found that the problem with WoW is that it's 9 years old and massively inefficient.

SO! i've been presented with the opportunity to get this desktop off my friend, he quickly ran of the specs as -

I5 at 3.4, 8 gig ram and 660ti Gfx card and a 100gb ssd and some amount of normal storage

Now my question is? if I fork out the cash for this desktop, will my experience improve massively? Has anyone got any experience with switching from laptop to desktop for wow? Should I get it? what sort of FPS do you guys have?

Mod-note:
    Did a little clean up, so thought I would bring this into it's right forum. It is not really WoW related, but towards the user's setup.

- Gehco
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-01-11 at 04:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This should go into the computer subforum.
    Anyway, you didn't mention the most important part:
    What are the settings for WoW graphics.

Depending on WHICH i5 it is, you may not see any notable performance increase.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    I put my settings on low for Heroic Raids, as this is the only way I can get a playable FPS.

Maybe you're using the wrong power adapter. Does your performance go up when unplugged, running on battery? I had this issue on my laptop for a while when I finally realized I was using a 65w power adapter rather than the 90w.

10+ Year Old Account

Mod-note:
    Did a little clean up, so thought I would bring this into it's right forum. It is not really WoW related, but towards the user's setup.

- Gehco
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..