Thread: Prot Pally Tips

Deleted

Post Prot Pally Tips

So what with the free 90 I got with free order, went for a prot pally. Read up on what rotations I should use etc and when in the first wing of throne I did not so bad, held agro ok. wing 2 however, I was tanking the adds on tort and just kept losing agro, but the guy pulling the agro was going like 300k damage.

I assume I am losing agro as I am vastly out geared by the DPS but just wondering if any pallas can give any tips to tank and hold agro on multiple mobs while being quite under geared compared to other players.

Thanks in advance.

Just get use to sucking at add tanking. You need high vengeance to stand any chance, we are proberly the worse tank class for adds/trash, so if dps just nuke them b4 they start beating on you then u will be lacking the vengeance. Md's and tricks works ofc

Deleted
    cheers for the reply mate, it's a little annoying when you lose agro and people start to moan, just want to improve as much as I can so I can tank in all situations

Deleted
    Do you use the addon threatplates (for tidyplates)? I find that very helpful for tanking trash, as it enlarges the name plates of mobs you don't have aggro on. Helps you tab target, taunt strays etc.

Tortos add tanking can be hard. It might be hard to sell in LFR, but what I did with my guild was tank Tortos first before the adds came to get vengeance, then when I switched to the adds, I would be able to hit them harder.

I also create a macro "/tar ..." whatever the adds are called and turned off lots of stuff in dbm, so that when the DBM notification that they were coming appeared, I would press the macro and automatically be facing them. I tended to use holy prism as the first move against them, as it has a decent range and short CD.

Getting the healers to stand near to you can help (as they'll go for the healer if loose), but again GL doing that in LFR.

I would also try to tank the adds on the opposite side to the Tortos tank, as she will have a lot of vengeance and might rip them off you if they use AOE moves as part of their rotation.

Hprism Yourself as soon as You're close to adds = snap aggro, or Hprism one of them from distance (but close to other players) - dmg/healing of Hprism usually gets You enough thret to get them, and then they should stick to You like a glue (vengance), but if the ilvl difference (so DPS, and especially burst from some clases) is to high You still can have issues (worked like a charm when ToT was current, even when my DPS teammates had ~20-25 ilvl more then me, dunno now)

Paladins arent really that strong at keeping aggro on multiple since 5.4 (probably the worse). Just make sure you have your healing seal on and just try to main tank the boss, the vengence + healing done should be enough to pull the bats to you without much trouble. Haven't been back to ToT during 5.4 so I'm not sure how badly the 5.4 healing glyph nerf has affected that.

But as people have said before this the key to paladin tanking atm is getting high vengence and keeping it.