View Poll Results: How many subs will WoW be down to for the next conference call?

Voters
810. This poll is closed
  • Between 6 - 6.5 Million

297 36.67%
  • Between 5.5 - 6 Million

107 13.21%
  • Between 5 - 5.5 Million

165 20.37%
  • Other

241 29.75%
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Hey don't worry about those nonsense posts man. Read my quote and you will understand why people vehemently defend WoW like they do. I know its illogical and upsetting, but thats the way it works with some of these people.

To think that WoW won't lose subs its just wishful thinking.. especially seeing how bad Mop was.
    I enjoyed MoP but hated Cata and Wrath, if anyone here has criticized WoW a lot before it'd be me during the Wrath era. I guess I'm a fanboy too, since you clearly label all people who think differently than you as fanboys in your signature. It's kind of funny though, so keep doing your thing.

As for the thread itself, how many players are there currently? I don't really keep up with it since I don't really care, but I'm going to guess a loss of 500k or so.

Deleted
    seeing as how you once predicted that Mop would bring subs up to over 20 million, i think i can safely ignore any of your further predictions.
    It's not like anyone would take you serious though. Your signature says it all, Classic > Wrath? I played classic from the very beginning and if I take my nostalgia glasses off right now, MoP is clearly better than classic in every aspect of the game. Who doesn't enjoy classes that only have one viable skilltree if at all(Pala buff/dispellbots, yay!)!?

On topic: I doubt that the loss will be that big at this point, I see a lot of people returning to catch up on the MoP story/raids and prepare for WoD at the moment(including me).

10+ Year Old Account
    5.7 million does not align with the subscriber number curve. It's way, way down below where it should be in the next quarter, which should be somewhere around the 6-7 million mark, and that's being pretty generous to your prediction. Not to mention that the biggest numerical losses have already happened in Cataclysm, so the losses will not get that big again.

Will the game reach the 5.7 million mark some day? Absolutely. Just don't expect it to happen this quarter or even the next.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2014-02-05 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    I enjoyed MoP but hated Cata and Wrath, if anyone here has criticized WoW a lot before it'd be me during the Wrath era. I guess I'm a fanboy too, since you clearly label all people who think differently than you as fanboys in your signature. It's kind of funny though, so keep doing your thing.

As for the thread itself, how many players are there currently? I don't really keep up with it since I don't really care, but I'm going to guess a loss of 500k or so.
    Can always hope Jaylock stops his sub. But then he'd probably still post about WoW and things and not move on with his life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey don't worry about those nonsense posts man. Read my quote and you will understand why people vehemently defend WoW like they do. I know its illogical and upsetting, but thats the way it works with some of these people.

To think that WoW won't lose subs its just wishful thinking.. especially seeing how bad Mop was.
    You have to be pretty disconnected from reality to think that what you just said here actually holds any weight or meaning worthy of discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

seeing as how you once predicted that Mop would bring subs up to over 20 million, i think i can safely ignore any of your further predictions.
    So when the quarter report comes in and it is not 5.7 million as you've said, we can safely ignore yours? Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    What do you mean who cares? Less subs means less money blizz can spend on WoW. Already they have had to massively scale back their projects, seeing as how MoP is getting no more content patches, and the new expansion is so unambitious that the only new feature people are excited over are garrisons (even the WoD collectors mount is just a reskinned BC anzu raven mount done on the cheap lol). Not only that but Blizzard are desperately coming up with p2w microtransactions to wring as much money as possible from their rapidly diminishing playerbase (constant stream of cash shop mounts, instant 90 boosts, etc).
    Every expansion had lack of content towards the end. Every single one of them. Also: sure, garrisons are awesome. But there's lots of awesome things about Warlords of Draenor; the PvP zone for example. Killing Draenei all day everyday is a pretty sweet thing to do as well. Their shop isn't P2W, but I do worry a little bit about that, so I somewhat agree with you in that regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    What do you mean who cares? Less subs means less money blizz can spend on WoW. Already they have had to massively scale back their projects, seeing as how MoP is getting no more content patches, and the new expansion is so unambitious that the only new feature people are excited over are garrisons (even the WoD collectors mount is just a reskinned BC anzu raven mount done on the cheap lol). Not only that but Blizzard are desperately coming up with p2w microtransactions to wring as much money as possible from their rapidly diminishing playerbase (constant stream of cash shop mounts, instant 90 boosts, etc).
    Blizzard have been constantly working on not being dependent on WoW's subscription numbers for years now. Despite subscription losses the company is still making as much if not more profit than they did before.

There is no indication that they have started to make heavy cuts to the game when they increased the staff by a ton after project Titan got a reboot last year as well as produced patches at a regular basis with high quality raids throughout MoP. The quality has arguably increased this expansion and with the stuff they're preparing to release in WoD the quality doesn't seem to be decreasing any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Blizzard have been constantly working on not being dependent on WoW's subscription numbers for years now. Despite subscription losses the company is still making as much if not more profit than they did before.
    Nothing Blizzard have produced or are going to release in the near future is likely to remove their dependance on WOW. Blizzard's revenue is several hundred million dollars down per annum from when WOW was at its peak it is incorrect to suggest that their profit is the same or higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Guess you're confusing your own opinion for facts.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5#post25183295
    Thats an opinion poll of players who use this forum... it wont take into account all the players who quit the game and dont use these forums. Therefore the poll is biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Thats an opinion poll of players who use this forum... it wont take into account all the players who quit the game and dont use these forums. Therefore the poll is biased.
    Of course it is. But it's also the more hardcore base that is here, and those that go through content faster than most others. So it's usually skewed to the negative side.
    Wasn't the point of it though. Just that he has no basis to what he's saying. Just me whining about his retarded whine :P
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

i think it will be in the +- 100-200k , nothing extreme.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My Server's seem busier if anything. Shadowsong I don't know why. Tarren-Mill had free transfers from Stormscale Horde so
    Expecting it to drop given no announcement of Beta yet and another PVP Season to drag 5.4 on.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Even if Blizzard (or, more properly, Activision-Blizzard) are making up for declines in WoW revenue, that isn't saving news for WoW. If the game declines enough they will eventually cut it off, even if they are making money on other products. WoW is a business endeavor, not a charity for the players.

I doubt they are near the point where investment in WoW is unprofitable though, but I could be wrong.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I know one lesser company allowed a game to run even though it was at a loss to the company itself. WoW is too big to just cut off, too many players enjoy it. I don't think WoW will ever hit numbers where it will be forced to go F2P or P2W as some people call it. 5-7 million players is about where I think we'll see the lowest population for WoW at least for the next 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Even if Blizzard (or, more properly, Activision-Blizzard) are making up for declines in WoW revenue, that isn't saving news for WoW. If the game declines enough they will eventually cut it off, even if they are making money on other products. WoW is a business endeavor, not a charity for the players.

I doubt they are near the point where investment in WoW is unprofitable though, but I could be wrong.
    EVE Online is considered a big success with about 500K active subscribers and Blizzard is probably the company most known to support their games long after they've faded from the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by ypolt View Post
    EVE Online is considered a big success with about 500K active subscribers and Blizzard is probably the company most known to support their games long after they've faded from the spotlight.
    Eve has no where the staff size blizzard set aside for WoW.
    There will be shrinkages in staff, and therefore content as subs fall.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    All things come to an end, shocking news

What would happen at the end is content release for WoW would taper off, and players gradually drift away. There would be more and more reuse of existing content, P2W cash items, and eventually the game would become mostly PvP. The cost of just running the servers is very likely to be low.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Blizzard expanded as the playerbase grew. Blizzard doesn't have thousands of developers on their staff, nor does one team work exclusively on WoW.
    Most of the manpower needed for WoW comes in the form of support and customer service. If the playerbase shrinks, any company would scale with it.

Last time I checked, Everquest servers were still online and they just made their 20th expansion.

WoW will get smaller, but it will not die for a VERY long time.

In short, play the game. If you dont like it, dont play it, it will still be here if you want to come back.