Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    to be perfectly frank, could be considered baiting.
    Do you have a minute to talk about our lord sellery? What do you think this thread is? To accuse me of baiting is hillarious but not entirely unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I find your tactics disingenuous and you bring no actual arguments to the table that support your position from what I have seen.
    You have no moral problem with the uncessary suffering of highly intelligent vertebrates?

Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    This is a discussion. Participating in said discussion is not randomly lashing out at people.
    You mean the participation in said general accusation of preaching the gospel of a meat free diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    Maybe you're the one threatened that this morally superior bubble you live in is really built on a house of cards.
    Some people like to rip the limbs from insects others like the taste of dead pigs.

I have no moral superiority I never claimed it on a global level only that I draw the line further down the road in this case.
    You can bath in pig blood for all I care if you think thats gonna keep your taint fresh.
    I wouldn't do that.

Did you see a vegetarian/vegan in here saying we don't generally talk kindly about their kind?
    Who is the side lashing out randomly?

How often do you think this crap happens?
    What if you don't know that there is meat in it?
    What would happen if your life depends on it?
    Would you do it if the life of someone else depends on it?

But how do you get your protein?
    Don't you miss the taste?

Always trying to get those annoying litmus tests for hypocracy past the radar to destroy some perceived position of moral superiorty.
    Why do you think people had the need to thank the animal for dieing for them.

Humans just operate so highly on the empathy scale that we can even feel empathy for fucking inanimate objects and people have a hard time to justify their consuption not necessary infront of others but more infront of themself.

If its not from personal experience that some people think that vegetarians claim the moral highground one reason for that can be that they think perhaps its slightly morally superior.

There can be possible rational reasons for the waiver of this food but I won't bring them in here because the moral ones are more clearcut and undenieable on a personal level.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2014-01-24 at 02:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I heard that they invented cows in Texas.
    The worship the Cow Gods down there. True story.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont understand vegetarians, the whole idea makes no sense to me.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I don't preach. I can't stand people that preach at me. It always ends up being born agains. Newly converted to a way of life and demanding everyone else agree with them or get out of the way. I've been a vegetarian for 25 years starting out for personal moral choices and eventually just because my body wasn't able to handle meat without dry heaves.

That being said, I'll happily discuss, debate, or outright argue with anyone about almost anything, including vegetarianism. It's just who I am, and once we're done, if that individual goes to eat a steak it doesn't matter to me one way or the other as I'm eating a salad or curry bowl. My better half isn't a vegetarian and while sometimes I wonder how she can go from cooing at how cute babe is to eating some bacon it doesn't change anything.

I have adopted a Paleo style diet and eat plenty of meat, but only stuff that was actually carved off of an animal, not the processed junk that looks like a pink paste before it is cooked.

None of the vegetarians or vegans I know have been preachy about it, if anything it seemed to be something they didn't want to bring up if possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    This is Texas, land of the steak. We dont take kindly to their kind here

*readies shotgun*

You don't do your State's reputation of, "do what we want you to do or face violence" any justice with a comment like that.

I mean, there's nothing worse than a preachy anything, be it a vegetarian, a vegan, or a person who loves steak.
    They're all assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    You don't do your State's reputation of, "do what we want you to do or face violence" any justice with a comment like that.

I mean, there's nothing worse than a preachy anything, be it a vegetarian, a vegan, or a person who loves steak.
    They're all assholes.
    It was a JOKE based on that stereotype, Mr Serious face. Good grief...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I grew up omnivorous because that's how I was fed as a child. After having developed some rather poor eating habits and watching my health deteriorate, I decided to change my lifestyle and became more aware of what I was putting into my body. Two years ago, I woke up in the morning after having gorged myself on greasy hamburgers the night before and my guts were definitely paying the price. It was then that I decided to stop eating meat. It was an idea that I had for some time before then, being the animal lover that I am, and that day I finally acted on it. Dropping meat acted like a sort of domino effect which caused me to try harder to choose only organic foods and non-GMO. It also sparked a new desire to exercise more. People sometimes ask me if I ever miss some of my old favorites...bacon, rare fillet mignon, barbecued hamburgers etc. and I can't say that I've ever once craved any of it. I'm not one to go touting off about it and I haven't ever really been questioned or treated differently because of it. Sure, I have to ask questions sometimes about menus if I'm dining out, but there's no reason for me to draw attention to it or act superior. My fiance is still meat and potatoes type of guy and I don't scoff at him for the way he eats. It's just personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchee View Post
    I grew up omnivorous because that's how I was fed as a child. After having developed some rather poor eating habits and watching my health deteriorate, I decided to change my lifestyle and became more aware of what I was putting into my body. Two years ago, I woke up in the morning after having gorged myself on greasy hamburgers the night before and my guts were definitely paying the price. It was then that I decided to stop eating meat. It was an idea that I had for some time before then, being the animal lover that I am, and that day I finally acted on it. Dropping meat acted like a sort of domino effect which caused me to try harder to choose only organic foods and non-GMO. It also sparked a new desire to exercise more. People sometimes ask me if I ever miss some of my old favorites...bacon, rare fillet mignon, barbecued hamburgers etc. and I can't say that I've ever once craved any of it. I'm not one to go touting off about it and I haven't ever really been questioned or treated differently because of it. Sure, I have to ask questions sometimes about menus if I'm dining out, but there's no reason for me to draw attention to it or act superior. My fiance is still meat and potatoes type of guy and I don't scoff at him for the way he eats. It's just personal preference.
    What I do not understand why would forsake meat completely? It is possible to eat meat once a weekend or even a month or when no other food is available and still live a healthy liftstyle. Your gut won't be damaged any more than usual if meat is consumed rarely. Meat is not kryptonite or radioactive material. So, why people completely forsake meat even insist on vegetable meals when they go to guest's house even though they do not have any religious reason or moral reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I preach carnivorism.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Maybe because..like..before there were like two million people eating meat and now there are like...two billions? Ah well...as if I care. Let us just go on and see where this shit goes. Either we live on by our style of living or we just fuck up terminally. There is a dynamic to this, that reasoning won't stop or slow down.
    Even if we countinue to live by our current lifestyles, we will not fuck up terminally. The reason meat is expansive is because it is feed corns. But say if you move the meat industry to Africa, and have cows eat the grass alone, the price will drop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brachamul View Post
    Sound scientific articles are "bullshit science", sure.

You are seriously arguing that "things were always that way, why change"?
    Simply, because we have many levers we can work upon to reduce our greenhouse gases. Eating less meat, specially beef, is one of the easiest levers.

Cows are specifically terrible at digesting their food and produce massive amounts of greenhouse gases. Bisons, not so much. The sheer amount of modern bovines, factored with the fact that they are much larger and consume much more than the traditional bisons, completely overwrite your argument anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with "CAFCO", and google did not help me much either. I never try to convince people to stop eating meat. I simply try to show them that eating less meat could be a good idea.
    Think about this. Say we reduce meat eating and increase plant eating. Well, we will have to cut down forests to plant our foods. Which will reduce oxygen in the environment and increase CO2 due to our agricultural plants are less efficent in transferring oxygen to environment and taking in CO2 then aged old forest trees. We will end up with where we began

Artemis, you're mistaken about the environmental impact being primarily caused by deforestation, the gases the food animals produce is actually the most damaging aspect.

As for the topic, if someone asks me for my opinion I will give it, otherwise no, people get very touchy about this subject, and they won't change their behaviors anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    1) I do find the act of killing something to consume it immoral if you can gain the same nutrients in other ways. End something with a consciousness's life because you prefer the taste over a plant is simply immoral to me. We no longer live in a hunter/gather society where resources are limited. So eating animals is not a necessity at this point, it is a luxury that is overused in most 1st world countries, especially here in the United States. Hell, my 7 year old cousins eat more meat per day than the average adult did in the early 1900s.

2) That would not be a problem because if no one ate meat, the populations of said animals would not be anywhere near as high as it is currently. The land would be used to grow food and the large amount of food that goes into feeding the animals could be distributed among starving people.(I am sure they will take what ever they can get.) Of coarse everyone can't just suddenly stop eating meat, it would have to be an over-time thing.

3) I can make shit taste great with the right seasonings, and give it to the right person and they can make a pile of crap taste like a cheeseburger, chicken, or anything really. When I switched to veggie burgers, I barely noticed a difference in the veggie burger and all but one cheeseburger I had ever eaten.

4) No, the way you worded it made it sound as though you have a problem with them if they don't agree with what you think.

I don't care if you eat meat, but you are no better than the "preachy" vegans and vegetarians you want to complain about.
    1)Because you are using western centric morality system. More specifically, you are taking humanity out of nature. That is why eating meat is wrong to you. But there are other morality system as well. I view myself as part of nature. When I die, I will have tree planted on my grave, which will be nourished by my dead body. Whose fruit will be enjoyed by the animal, that my own descendent will kill to eat, and so on and so on. Circle of life thing.

2)If no one eat meat, then forests would have to be eliminated to produce the food we eat. Forests have animals too you know.
    3)No you can not. Taste is subjective. Some american seasoning taste like shit to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Think about this. Say we reduce meat eating and increase plant eating. Well, we will have to cut down forests to plant our foods. Which will reduce oxygen in the environment and increase CO2 due to our agricultural plants are less efficent in transferring oxygen to environment and taking in CO2 then aged old forest trees. We will end up with where we began
    Eat insects

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Artemis, you're mistaken about the environmental impact being primarily caused by deforestation, the gases the food animals produce is actually the most damaging aspect.

As for the topic, if someone asks me for my opinion I will give it, otherwise no, people get very touchy about this subject, and they won't change their behaviors anyway.
    While gases from animals produces CO2, plants take in CO2 and make Oxygen. Since, if deforestation results in producing agricultural crops, there will be more CO2 in the environment. Plants are the only thing that can take in CO2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Eat insects
    people already do. If I recall, Middle Eastern eats the dead locusts.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    While gases from animals produces CO2, plants take in CO2 and make Oxygen. Since, if deforestation results in producing agricultural crops, there will be more CO2 in the environment. Plants are the only thing that can take in CO2.
    I was referring to methane, not carbon dioxide.

Besides, the above only need be addressed if you're willing to ignore the suffering of animals for a slightly tastier meal.

None of this is terribly relevant anyway, technological advancement outpaces societal advancement, and humanity is doomed because of it.

I never met a preacher. But like with any zealot, I'm sure they're ridiculously annoying

10+ Year Old Account
    No I'm not a hippie
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Never met any preachers of vegetarianism except online.
    I love vegetarians anyway; less competition to me for meat.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been a vegan for 8 years now. I actually go out of my way not to tell people that though. Guys in particular seem to get irked by it--"LOL BRO HOW U GET PROTEIN???" It's just a conversation I'd rather avoid. People only usually find out if they happen to be out at a restaurant with me.