Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by realmature View Post
    Been working out for a few months now trying to lose weight. Started at 360# and now im down to 330# and I want to start taking a protein and i had some questions about your thoughts or experiences on different proteins that wont break the bank. I was looking at starting on something like Gold standard or Body fortress from walmart. thoughts?
    If I were you, I'd focus on just losing weight for now, while keeping the protein level according to the targeted weight.
    So 0.8-1g protein / pound of your desired weight, not the current one. So let's say you aim 180 lbs, that means @ 140-180 grams of protein per day.
    But imho, protein powder and any fitness supplements bring marginal results, and most of it is just overhyped, overpriced bullshit ( except steroids )

Stick to a caloric deficit, eat healthy and unprocessed foods to make it easy, and exercise regularly ( at least 3 times a week )

Protein Powder is excellent when you are trying to lose weight, maybe more so then when you are gaining muscles. Cause when you are dieting you are often not eating enough proteins to keep/build muscles. The protein shake is then a good source of protein with high protein compared to how many calories you consume

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    yes it is. If you are trying to lose weight, you wont get anywhere by using protein powders which are used to bulk up muscle mass.

You can put on a limited amount of muscle whilst losing weight, but not to the extent you need to take protein powders. If you are trying to put on enough muscle to require supplements, you are not going to lose weight as you wont be runnign the necessary calorie deficit to do so.
    Lost 17kg of fat and gained 3.8kg of muscle in a 3 month period while eating 2-3kg of protein a month. You Sir are spouting hogwash

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Lost 17kg of fat and gained 3.8kg of muscle in a 3 month period while eating 2-3kg of protein a month. You Sir are spouting hogwash
    no I'm not. I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just giving the general rule of thumb. lets face it, if you are asking on MMO champ for this kind of advice you are pretty inexperienced in this area, so what people with experience and knowledge can achieve is different from the casual amateur.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/op...robuilder.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/op...hydrowhey.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

3 of the best on the market. You almost always want to go with Optimum Nutrition. They have a higher standard than most, they do their whey in house, and their creatine is micronized creapure...

For me, Protein intake is very important to increase an individual resistance in any kind of sports training. One may benefit from a higher protein content to reduce cravings for food especially if you want to increase your muscle size. Yes, I think Protein is a key to losing weight but you must watch your carbs and fat and see best results with exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    yes it is. If you are trying to lose weight, you wont get anywhere by using protein powders which are used to bulk up muscle mass.

You can put on a limited amount of muscle whilst losing weight, but not to the extent you need to take protein powders. If you are trying to put on enough muscle to require supplements, you are not going to lose weight as you wont be runnign the necessary calorie deficit to do so.
    Protein powder is just that - protein.
    Protein is a macronutrient used to aid in repairing muscle, and provided you're in a calorie surplus, it'll help you put on muscle as well.
    If OP isn't getting enough protein each day, at the end of his weight loss, he'll probably look skinny or worse; skinny-fat.

But the question is OP, why do you want a protein shake? People horribly overestimate protein. You only need around .8g-1.5g per pound of LBM. Anywhere from 120-180g is a good window.
    120g-180g of protein per day is EASY to find in your foods. No need for a protein powder but to each their own I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    the rule that "you cannot lose weight and gain muscle at the same time" ONLY applies to naturally skinny guys. a 330 pounder can easily drop fat and gain muscle. the muscle building advice on the internet is 90% catered to ectomorphs. bro science fail
    Wrong.
    The body can burn fat and build muscle at the same time - BUT - it is inefficient to the general population to chase both goals at once.
    Cut/bulk cycles are going to be a more efficient way to get to your goal - focusing on either losing fat or building muscle.
    Everyone is gonna have noob gains, no matter what size. My body fat stayed the same, and probably even dropped a point or two (if that's possible) in the first 3-4 months. I put weight on like crazy and my lifts kept going up like crazy.
    Now it's hard as chit to add weight on the bar.

PS: Somatypes don't 'exist'. I looked like an ectomorph when I started. I'm slowly starting to look like an endomorph.
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

Deleted
    Eat eggs for much protein