Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Suggestion for WoD: A fun limiter.

Just go with me on this for WoD: Daily quests won't be A thing So much anymore, but we've still got no-flying restrictions, probably crafting recipes locked behind daily-limited token turn-ins, probably a lot more weekly quests, Conquest Point weekly caps, Valor Point weekly caps, Justice Point and Honor Point hard caps...

I know Blizzard is trying to consolidate and simplify some of the more confusing aspects of the game, so he's my suggestion:

We do away with all of the above limiters or caps and we add a little bar to the top of the screen called "Fun Quotient". The fun quotient is a shared point system that will allow Blizzard to tailor with laser-precision how much fun we can have in a single day.

Self-paced and uncapped progression towards in-game rewards is a relic of the PAST my friends! Embrace the Fun Quotient.
    Last edited by Klingers; 2014-02-09 at 10:16 PM.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

simplyfy
    he's my suggestion
    fun quotient
    taylor
    lazer

Posting to correct spelling or grammar is not constructive.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2014-02-09 at 03:22 AM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

How does anyone, including Blizz, quantify a level of fun? And why can't you have equal amounts of fun in separate activities and get the same reward as someone else who only does 1 activity?

I can't really see this suggestion as serious. Post content is one reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just....

#TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    The hell makes you think a Dalek should talk about any aspect of fun?
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Not sure if srs
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

I like it!

And if some players wanted to increase their weekly Fun cap there could be a token available in the ingame store for a 50% boost to maximum fun for that week.

Pacing mechanics are a good thing.

The reason behind it is that most of the things you're describing give you an advantage in the competitive parts of the game in some way if you keep up with them. If there was no limiting mechanic, then the advantage would be taken by people that have endless amounts of time to "grind", and it puts pressure on everyone else who wants to remain competitive with them to do the same - even if it's no longer fun.

To an extent, you want there to be a "quota" per time period where if you're doing less, you're going to progress slower. Someone that's doing a couple dungeons a week shouldn't expect to have the same kind of valor as someone that's clearing raids and making an effort to cap. But at the same time, there needs to be an upper cap so that you've done enough. If you enjoy those things, but only so much of them, you no longer have to choose between optimizing your character by continuing the grind, or doing something else you enjoy after you meet your quota for the week. Instead of aiming to be the best raider by getting millions of valor and buying everything you can the first week, you can now just do some dungeons, but also have time for pet battles and PvP. Without the cap, you'd have to make that choice.

And the important part - the choice doesn't go away because of the cap. If you still want to have fun by doing dungeons or battlegrounds or whatever -- you're quite welcome to keep doing them after you've hit your point caps, or you could always level up an alt and do it twice.
    Last edited by Shamanberry; 2014-02-08 at 09:12 AM.

Like 3 people just got trolled really hard in this thread within the first page of comments.

So sad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunaka View Post
    How does anyone, including Blizz, quantify a level of fun? And why can't you have equal amounts of fun in separate activities and get the same reward as someone else who only does 1 activity?

I can't really see this suggestion as serious. Post content is one reason.
    you will have the amount of fun blizzard dictates and have fun with it.

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/patch...fun-meter.html

Sorry can't post the pic but...read this and thought of the patch.

Yeah its a weird position Blizzard is in... Uncapped progression means people get burnt out super fast, because in order to be competitive they have to GOGOGOOGOGOGOGO GRIND LIKE MAD the instant new content comes out. But capped progression means you get "done" for the week fairly often, especially as a competitive player. Both sides have negative effects. Blizzard tried to compensate by offering many ways to progress with a cap on each so you COULD keep going for a bit longer, instead of "raid and done" everyweek. But than everyone competitive needed to max out on every way to progress every week/day and it caused burnout (5.0 dailies). Its a tough position to be in... They have to strike a delicate balance, and even then the extremes on both sides will still be mad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

sarcastic thread is sarcastic? ? ? might as well add a fun per hour meter that charges you based on the rate of fun you are having!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodjunky22 View Post
    sarcastic thread is sarcastic? ? ? might as well add a fun per hour meter that charges you based on the rate of fun you are having!!
    they would get no money off a lot of raiding guilds since they treat it like a job instead of you know something fun and for entertainment.

Achievement (not the wow achievements) is a fun factor. So maybie one dungeon completed per week would fill the 100% fun bar to begin with in the New Order of the Wow?

If you want to make more dungeons the week, you would have to wipe ten times before the last boss in order to clean your fun bar by 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    they would get no money off a lot of raiding guilds since they treat it like a job instead of you know something fun and for entertainment.
    If people didn't find them fun they wouldn't spend their free time doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    Pacing mechanics are a good thing.

The reason behind it is that most of the things you're describing give you an advantage in the competitive parts of the game in some way if you keep up with them. If there was no limiting mechanic, then the advantage would be taken by people that have endless amounts of time to "grind", and it puts pressure on everyone else who wants to remain competitive with them to do the same - even if it's no longer fun.
    Slapping a restrictor plate on the system by having dailies / weeklys doesn't feel very good. It makes feel like doing daily chores which IMO is far worse than the grind.

If you ask me what is less fun, doing daily chores or a long grind, its doing daily chores.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Yeah its a weird position Blizzard is in... Uncapped progression means people get burnt out super fast
    There is no evidence for this. Vanilla featured uncapped progression and subs kept climbing. Subs broke their uptrend in late Burning Crusade after they started capping progression.

there's already a fun limiter. garrisons will be made to look like little orgrimmar.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

You know what's really weird? Blizzard has never had to put grinding limits on Starcraft or Diablo and they had no problems. You could play D2 or D3 all day and all night until your eyes bleed, its a great advantage, and no-one complains about it. You could play ladder in SC2 all day and all night until your eyes bleed, and no one complains about that either.

The real question I have is: why are people so hell-bent against grinding in WoW and only WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    You know what's really weird? Blizzard has never had to put grinding limits on Starcraft or Diablo and they had no problems. You could play D2 or D3 all day and all night until your eyes bleed, its a great advantage, and no-one complains about it. You could play ladder in SC2 all day and all night until your eyes bleed, and no one complains about that either.

The real question I have is: why are people so hell-bent against grinding in WoW and only WoW?
    Completely different animal. In WoW, the competitive part of the game is killing raid bosses or ranked PvP. With the exception of events specifically designed to be "you have x chances to do this" (e.g., Ra-den), you can do those things as often as you want, just like you can do as many matches in Starcraft as you like.

Starcraft has no way to gain benefit in the competitive mode. You can't go out and do the story mode a bunch of times and get new units to use in matches. Thus, they have nothing TO limit.