Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoD your last hurrah?

Just curious if anyone else shares a similar sentiment. I've been playing (off and on... mostly on) WoW since Vanilla, and with MoP focused mostly on pvp, rather than raiding as I've done in previous iterations. I find myself unable to stay interested in the game for the extended periods of time as I used to.

My question -

Is anyone else in the same boat as me, where you've decided that this expansion will make or break your commitment to the game? If WoD doesn't live up to my expectations, I believe this will be the first time I walk away from the game, not just a break, but in totality. Not an easy resolution to arrive at, in my opinion. I've fiddled around with other mmos, and even if I enjoy them slightly, I've found it hard to walk away from the countless hours I've sunk into the game (Around 300 days /played and 2k or so in money).

Anyone else making WoD their last chance to let Blizz keep you hooked on this game?

Edit: Hmmm, not really looking for commentary on my choice; just curious if there are others with similar feelings.
    Last edited by Krez; 2014-02-07 at 06:00 PM.

WoD expansion boss, Medivh! Calling it now!

Deleted
    Doesn't matter how good the expansion is, you will never stay for the whole expansion. You will be playing on and off.

I've said I was done many a time I will stop for 3-6 months then play again. the game doesnt hold me like it did in WoTLK and prior im not superly satisfied with Cata and so on i hope WoD is better but I'm not holding my breath. In truth even if it isnt and I stop playing I will more than likely play again. I'm sure alot of people have been there like I have when you say I'm done with this crappy game to just want to play months down the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Commitment to the game? You've been playing for 9 years....

You don't have to marry it. You can start and stop playing whenever you want. Thats the beauty of MMOs!

After "quitting wow" and "coming back to wow" and whatever several times I've realised that playing wow is just sort of background noise in my life these days. I don't feel committed to it like I used to, but every few months my friends and i will be sitting around being bored and then its "well i guess its time to play wow for a few months again". so we reactivate, do whatever new content is out, level some alts, do some ulduar, and then get bored and unsub. the process repeats every couple of patches while we go about our real lives and play other games in between.

i expect more of the same from WoD. launches and first tiers when everything is new and shiny are always fun though. i'm sure that will keep my attention for a few months. the only "maybe" is that we need to pull together 20 people to do hardmodes instead of 10, so i'm on the fence about whether raiding jives with my interests these days. managing 20 people is time consuming and its very hard to get 5-7 people onto someone else's guild roster and i have no desire to play if it isn't with my friends. its sort of a rock and a hard place situation - don't have the time to manage my own guild anymore but don't want to leave my bros behind. flex will only keep us interested in so long, but while i feel 20m mythic is the right direction for the game i don't know if its for me anymore.

#growingup
    Last edited by crunk; 2014-02-07 at 05:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never go into an expansion knowing it would be my last one unless Blizzard says it's the last one. If I'm going to stop WoW it'll be in the middle or end of an expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrIbbe View Post
    Doesn't matter how good the expansion is, you will never stay for the whole expansion. You will be playing on and off.
    Besides Vanilla, this (MoP) is really the only time since starting where I'd say I've been playing on and off. Raided in BC up to BT, and fairly hardcore in Wrath and Cata (stepped away for a while during ICC and DS - really a whole year of same content, so boring!)

I've decided for myself there will be no off/on for WoD. I'm either going all in or walking away. Anyone else have a similar feeling?

WoD expansion boss, Medivh! Calling it now!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    After having that type of time investment in a game it is kind of hard to walk away. Burn out does occur more frequently, but at the same time you must ask yourself why you keep playing? Do you have fun? Do you play to stay in contact with friends? I find that if I take a few days off from WoW and play something different for a while, and just play a bit here and there I get more overall enjoyment out of the game.
    Patience is a virtue. I never claimed to be virtuous.

Deleted
    My rule is quite simple.

If I enjoy playing I play.

If I do not, I do not.

So I will keep playing as long as I have fun.

Right now I am having LOADS of fun, working on Garrosh (normal) Phase 2 on my main and having a lot of fun with my newly dinged Monk in LFR and the like.

Eh, whatever. You play when you feel like it and quit when you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    My rule is quite simple.

If I enjoy playing I play.

If I do not, I do not.

So I will keep playing as long as I have fun.

Right now I am having LOADS of fun, working on Garrosh (normal) Phase 2 on my main and having a lot of fun with my newly dinged Monk in LFR and the like.
    Same for me. Lately just screwing around on alts and doing 2v2 arenas have been keeping me around.

I can't take the game seriously like i used to. It's become much more of a time waster than a competitive hobby.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've taken breaks (1-3 months) a few times before, but I've also "quit for good" twice (6-9 months). So the lesson I've learned is that I probably won't ever truly quit -- for good -- until the game is cancelled by Blizzard or replaced (for me) by another MMO that can draw me in long term the way WoW has.

That said, I have been increasingly bored with the game since the end of WotLK, and I'm not holding my breath for WoD. I actually find MoP more immersive and polished than I did Cata (though I do find lack of 5-man content bothersome, and scenarios a waste of development time), so I do have some hope for what they might do next.

Deleted
    Depends very much on my raiding guild: If guildmates quit the game, ill probably quit too since WoW is boring without it.

Nope, I'll play as long as I'm having fun. If I'm not, I'll take a break till something cool comes out.

I don't expect to even play WoD. I've been playing since Classic and I'm ready to finally quit for good.

Don't get me wrong -- I still like WoW. I'm not quitting because I'm unhappy with the game. I'm going to quit because I'm unhappy with the amount of time it requires to play.

So, you might say that MoP was my last hurrah. And it's a fine expansion to finish on. Now I just need to actually quit before WoD releases :P
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

The beautiful thing about playing a game that people seem to forget regularly is that not having fun for a bit/anymore does not have to mean that the game becomes public enemy #1.

You can just rejoin whenever you feel like it/whenever it is fun to you again. There aren't only the two options of 'SUPER FANBOYISM' and 'GOD I HATE IT AND EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD TOO.'.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one ever quits WoW for good.

I quit in early Cara having been playing since classic.

I still roam these forums.

You never truly quit. You still play vicariously through strangers who post on these forums. Like an ex-smoker who likes to breath in second hand smoke from other people.

My point being you will probably still be playing off and on despite how much you enjoy WoD :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krez View Post
    Anyone else making WoD their last chance to let Blizz keep you hooked on this game?.
    Nope. It's increasingly looking like that was MoP for me. MoP had some good efforts, and I enjoyed much of the time I put into it. (Minus 5mans and PvP.) But what we're seeing on WoD looks like it's moving even further from gameplay I enjoy. Garrisons and new models have about as much interest for me as Pet Battles did.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think WoD is going to push me towards a make or break decision, however I do feel like how they've presented the expansion thus far has strengthened my desire to continue playing.