Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Exclamation "Blizzard Gear Store Grand Opening"

So, how many of you reeled back and prepared to unleash a torrent of impotent rage at the actualization of the oft-repeated doomsday prospect of Blizzard selling gear, at gravity finally tugging us all down that supposed well-greased slope?

I like to think they did it on purpose. It's not really a grand opening, after all...

While we're on the subject, what would your opinion be if Blizz decided to nix the monthly fee and start selling ridiculous amounts of transmog gear, mount and pet recolors/reskins, etc? I think cosmetic microtransaction-based income could be a healthy thing, but I'm probably a bit biased because I can't spare the sub fee right now... and it could well lead to them pushing the boundaries of "cosmetic". What about an in-between, like 5 bucks a month with the difference supplemented by MTs?

Man, I already derailed my own topic.

Locked thread for misleading title built on a misinterpreted article title from Blizzard. Please, don't build a discussion around something that is not actually a topic. We know all have their fears, but some of these comments were rather odd. A lot of other people know that it is a Real-Goods store, and many did once reading the article. I don't really see content enough to make a discussion because of reactions of 1 line of text. You are welcome to discuss your loves and hates for the Store in other threads, but this discussion here is far out. You have managed to mix in-game store discussion into a Real Life store title.

I know you might find it misleading and all, but then don't apply your own misleading title for it.

- Gehco
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-02-12 at 01:27 PM.

Deleted
    Someone obviously got enraged about just a few words. mmd! ^^
    and wow isnt going free2play anytime SOON(tm)

You realise that the gear shop sells RL items, don't you?

.. with Blizzard's current business model, they're going to do all that with the sub in effect. And people will still defend it. lol
    Last edited by NewOrleansTrolley; 2014-02-12 at 11:44 AM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well considering Blizz wouldn't do this, it was quite obviously a bait title, so I just came in to see if the poster was the usual crowd, but it looks like we have another poster trying to compete with the likes of Salandrin and Jaylock. pitiful.

Research before ranting.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Threads like this always make me think this exact face saying this.

"I'm getting mad about completely un-warranted assumptions on the internet.... AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    .. with Blizzard's current business model, they're going to do all that with the sub in effect. And people will still defend it. lol
    Actually, people attacking Blizzard's business model are the special ones. There are no written or unwritten rules that prohibit doing microtransactions and paid services on top of a subscription, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Actually, people attacking Blizzard's business model are the special ones. There are no written or unwritten rules that prohibit doing microtransactions and paid services on top of a subscription, you know.
    Besides your self-respect as a consumer? No, you're right.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shhhh... don't give away the secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Herradura View Post
    I like to think they did it on purpose. It's not really a grand opening, after all...

While we're on the subject, what would your opinion be if Blizz decided to nix the monthly fee and start selling ridiculous amounts of transmog gear, mount and pet recolors/reskins, etc?
    Yeah, I think it's a way for them to get attention to it, people will see the title, and open the link, all ready to rage.

And I wouldn't like the idea of WoW going F2P with all that cosmetic stuff in the store - I'd rather have it all available in game normally, with fee still in place.

I'm not going to defend the store with in game things (mounts, pets, transmog helms), but that new stuff is material items, not a part of actual game, so I think it's fair if they sell it separately.

(also, for a moment I've thought they are going to sell things like Blizzcon-only mini pets and the like)

It's not about defending it. It about whether or not people feel it is worth their money. With the amount of money Blizzard makes with WoW, the answer is probably "yes".

Would be nice if there were other viable games....but unfortunately, other gaming companies lack any foresight or initiative to create a new experience that is worth people's time and/or money. Without any real competition, Blizzard really holds a lot of the cards.

The moment they add an item or service that costs significantly less than $10, we can talk about microtransactions. There's nothing micro in the current shop and account options.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

I think they trolled us on purpose, those mean mean Blizzard guys...

It's not about defending it. It about whether or not people feel it is worth their money. With the amount of money Blizzard makes with WoW, the answer is probably "yes".

Would be nice if there were other viable games....but unfortunately, other gaming companies lack any foresight or initiative to create a new experience that is worth people's time and/or money. Without any real competition, Blizzard really holds a lot of the cards.

Blizzard games are the worst form of games except all the others that we have tried!
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

actually there sort of is an unwritten rule: you puy sub you get all. or is there any other game besides wow that breaks it? this is the first and last time blizz gets away with it, they won't be able to pull this off with any other future game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Besides your self-respect as a consumer? No, you're right.
    My selfrespect as a customer dictates that I don't pay for defective stuff. I'm not sure what does this have to do with Blizzard
    People like you make up stupid claims about Blizzard being greedy to hide the fact that you want something for free because YOU are greedy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    actually there sort of is an unwritten rule: you puy sub you get all. or is there any other game besides wow that breaks it?
    I'm not into the game industry that much. But consider this: maybe Blizzard is the only one to do this because they are the only one who can do it. You can be 100% sure that all other game companies would do the same, but they are busy staying afloat with a F2P model.

10+ Year Old Account
    joeray
    actually there sort of is an unwritten rule: you puy sub you get all. or is there any other game besides wow that breaks it?
    Swtor has F2P option, sub option and cash shop. Guild wars 2 is pay 2play but has cash shop

Deleted

Look, if blizzard sell progression gear for cash whilst keeping a sub, I am out but this gear is only for boosted 90's so they can not be murdered in draenor and/or timeless isle to start gearing up properly. High level gear just means 90 gear as 90 is a high level compared to level 1.

Stop being sensationalist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    actually there sort of is an unwritten rule: you puy sub you get all. or is there any other game besides wow that breaks it? this is the first and last time blizz gets away with it, they won't be able to pull this off with any other future game.
    No there isn't, this isn't the school playground. If it's unwritten then they're free to break it at will. Just because there aren't others doesn't mean it can't and won't happen. The question is whether that's a problem or not.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.