Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Suggestions for RPG with great story element?

Been bored lately, really need an intense RPG with a good story so I can pretend to be someone more interesting. All input appreciated!

Avoiding the obvious ones like Final Fantasy, I'm gonna recommend Alundra for the PS1. Not Alundra 2, though. Do not play that game, ever.

I thought that with your talent for making threads that you'd know that there is a Video Game subforum. And even in that subforum, there's a Request a Game thread.

The Witcher series. Probably the best story-centric RPG I've ever played. The combat in Witcher 1 is a bit different from what you'd expect but the story really makes up for it.
    The Witcher 2 on the other hand, is probably the best PC game EVER for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I thought that with your talent for making threads that you'd know that there is a Video Game subforum. And even in that subforum, there's a Request a Game thread.
    At least throw in a game suggestion with your condescension.

Bravely Default on the 3ds.

I find Dragon Age universe has amazing lore/stories. Origins had the best story, II has faster combat and more compelling companions. But both are worth at least one playthrough

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep em' comin.

Planescape Torment is hands down the best story RPG ever created and anyone who says differently is wrong.

Presume you've already played Mass Effect?

I found Dust to be really good though it's a question of taste there and it's RPG/platformer hybrid.

If old games are okay then Planescape Torment and Ultima 7 for my money :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    The Witcher series. Probably the best story-centric RPG I've ever played. The combat in Witcher 1 is a bit different from what you'd expect but the story really makes up for it.
    The Witcher 2 on the other hand, is probably the best PC game EVER for me.
    This series seems to really be a love/hate thing. I honestly cannot stand either of them. I think it's the voice acting that ruins the immersion of the story for me.

But yeah, mass effect, the first dragon age, FF6 (3 american),

I only played the first Witcher very briefly but my initial impressions were excellent story and atmosphere, unique European kind of vibe, horrific control scheme. Really need to get back to playing that game.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Mass Effect series is fantastic for story.

Chronotrigger had an amazing story.

The Fallout games are all pretty awesome.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I only played the first Witcher very briefly but my initial impressions were excellent story and atmosphere, unique European kind of vibe, horrific control scheme. Really need to get back to playing that game.
    If you are indeed talking about the witcher 1, then yeah I agree. I only got hooked into it because I had a knee surgery and no internet, and was the only game I had.
    Also had no idea about the witcher world. Now, it's one of my favourite fantasy settings.
    If you are talking about witcher 2, then I'm quite surprised, the controls are pretty industry standard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    This series seems to really be a love/hate thing. I honestly cannot stand either of them. I think it's the voice acting that ruins the immersion of the story for me.

But yeah, mass effect, the first dragon age, FF6 (3 american),
    Eh I see a lot of people complain about VA, tbh I don't know what you are talking about. The fact that I'm not a native English speaker probably has to do with it

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Have played ME (tangent rant inc), I didn't buy it until a few months out due to all the bad PR - thought it would ruin my memories of the first two. Had the extended dlc, my first finish I mistakenly picked the "new" option from the dlc - do nothing, it pretty much goes straight to the stupid epilogue about the shepherd. Even worse than the already existing options.

For a good hour or so I just sat there, thinking about every single thing I had done wrong in my life, thinking of what I could have possibly done to deserve such an ending to a years long endeavor. ME3 is a great game up to the last 20min, then it's like someone bashes your skull in with a sledgehammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I'd say Kingdom of Amulur as the gameplay is really good...the story is pretty shit though. I'l just post a few games I really enjoyed. Feel free to add me on steam if you want more games (Flushing Spree).
    I had the same problem, the combat system was amazing but ugh, that story.

I'll definitely check you out on steam, thanks for all of the suggestions so far ervrybody.
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-02-14 at 02:42 AM.

Deleted
    I never got to play the first Witcher game, but I enjoyed the second. Banner Saga is good imo, but you probably already know that. If you haven't played Dragon Age Origins, you should get it ASAP.

Deleted
    Dragon age: origins, mass effect 2 and witcher 2 is the holy trinity. Just play those games over and over.

KoA sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    If you are indeed talking about the witcher 1, then yeah I agree. I only got hooked into it because I had a knee surgery and no internet, and was the only game I had.
    Also had no idea about the witcher world. Now, it's one of my favourite fantasy settings.
    If you are talking about witcher 2, then I'm quite surprised, the controls are pretty industry standard.
    Yeah definitely just the first one as I said, can't comment on the second. Pity I found it so off-putting because I loved everything else about it. Right down to the collectible cards for bedding the women! Something only a European game could do without seeming sleazy :P

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Have played ME (tangent rant inc), I didn't buy it until a few months out due to all the bad PR - thought it would ruin my memories of the first two. Had the extended dlc, my first finish I mistakenly picked the "new" option from the dlc - do nothing, it pretty much goes straight to the stupid epilogue about the shepherd. Even worse than the already existing options.

For a good hour or so I just sat there, thinking about every single thing I had done wrong in my life, thinking of what I could have possibly done to deserve such an ending to a years long endeavor. ME3 is a great game up to the last 20min, then it's like someone bashes your skull in with a sledgehammer.
    I felt like ME3 also got off to a rocky start, and all the new characters it introduced were distinctly inferior to the new ones, the tone was downright depressing in parts and of course the legendarily awful ending. Extended cut fixed some of the worst parts of it but it was still horribly unsatisfying.

That said, the MIDDLE of the game when you're hanging around with characters from previous games and resolving longstanding plot threads was 24 carat fucking gold. If the whole game was that quality it'd be the best game of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Been bored lately, really need an intense RPG with a good story so I can pretend to be someone more interesting. All input appreciated!
    Mass Effect Trilogy is cool. Skyrim is dope too.

Currently Playing: Eldevin