Page 1 of 70
... LastLast

Why do people hate cigarettes so freaking much?

Why do you think cigarettes specifically garner so much disdain?

There are so many institutionalized restrictions against cigarette corporations. They can hardly advertise at all, their products garner extra taxes, and they are even forced to put giant warning labels and "quit smoking" information on all of their products. I can't even have a flavored puff because people say it "appeals to kids", as if adults don't also have taste buds.

All in all I am baffled by this crusade. Alcohol is openly advertised, and the necessary warnings can be made in such small print that they aren't even noticed. I don't see PSA's about failing livers and people losing their livelihoods to alcoholism.

A cigarette is hell for your lungs, and no one likes second hand smoke but you never hear about someone puffing a cigarette and then causing a five car pile-up or going home to abuse their family.

These are a few recent samples from the FDA that keep interrupting muh goddamn hulu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2L6XFLAeA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oJZm5YBCL0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhbXENhrkTA <--Best (the hair flip followed by "pucker up" is particularly disturbing)

Check them out, they are hilariously over the top. I am a heavy drinker and a infrequent smoker and I just don't understand what grudge society has against cigarettes. What is your opinion?
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-02-18 at 03:52 AM.

Strong acculturation towards the stigma and not really having anyone willing to stand up and defend it, since it's kind indefensible. Imagine if the same sorts of ads and photos appeared on certain foods though? Oh the anger about "fat-shaming"...

I don't have a problem with the grudge, as you called it, since it's an unhealthy and worthless habit. But, I agree that it's ridiculous that people are so against it, while so openly supportive of pot and/or drinking. If I had my way they'd all be outlawed, but then, people can't stand sensible laws.

Because the media tells them so.
    Cigarettes cause cancer, and cancer is the new hip disease to hate.

Then because they think that if someone smokes it invades their space and exposes them to toxins so they have a right to push them away. Its cool to group up and pick on others.

When you drink then the immediate effect is limited to yourself.
    When you smoke the immediate effect is shared with anyone within sufficient proximity to breath it in.
    You can drink responsibly and not impact on others.
    You can't smoke responsibly and not have impact on others short of complete isolation.

Smoking near children is a particular pet hate of mine.

If someone wants to kill themselves then I would ask they do it in a way that is not taking me, nor anyone else along with them.
    That is my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

They provide zero healthy benefits, fuck cigarettes.

Second hand smoke kills people. Why can't I go around spraying pesticides in people's face?

I also hate paying taxes for medicaid/medicare people getting their lung cancer treated because they decided to smoke their whole lives.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I don't have a problem with the grudge, as you called it, since it's an unhealthy and worthless habit. But, I agree that it's ridiculous that people are so against it, while so openly supportive of pot and/or drinking. If I had my way they'd all be outlawed, but then, people can't stand sensible laws.
    I appreciate people like you, at least your stance follows a basic line of reasoning and isn't hypocritical. I can't stand people that sit back with a beer and a cigarette and say that pot should be illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they are unhealthy and smells awful. And it's not only cigarettes, i can say the same about weed.

When my roommate smoked i almost puked from this awful smell.

And in Russia i see more companies directed against alcohol, than smoking.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-02-18 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wixwix View Post
    They provide zero healthy benefits, fuck cigarettes.
    So do alcohol and unhealthy foods, where is the crusade against those? People know what the health costs of cigarettes are, so they don't kill people - people choose to kill themselves. At least cigarettes don't alter perception like alcohol and other substances do.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least you get drunk when you drink. What do cigs do for you? They are pointless and they make you smell like a bums nutsack. Smoker here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess the connection between lung cancer and cigarettes is a bit more obvious than one between alcohol and stuff that it causes. Also, second hand smoking tastes awful as fuck, even if a person next to you somkes just one cigarette; it's not like that with alcohol, a mug of beer being chugged next to you causes you no harm - it's only when someone gets seriously drunk while being a naturally aggressive person, or the cases of drunk driving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    So do alcohol and unhealthy foods, where is the crusade against those? People know what the health costs of cigarettes are, so they don't kill people - people choose to kill themselves. At least cigarettes don't alter perception like alcohol and other substances do.
    There's plenty of crusades against those.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    Second hand smoke kills people. Why can't I go around spraying pesticides in people's face?

I also hate paying taxes for medicaid/medicare people getting their lung cancer treated because they decided to smoke their whole lives.
    Yeah fuck that jerk that was going 20km above the speed limit and now needs medical attention, let him die!

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    There's plenty of crusades against those.
    I'd say they have campaigns, I think the effort against tobacco is the only one widespread enough to be called a crusade.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    So do alcohol
    Not quite; otherwise alcohol wouldn't be prescribed by doctors in some cases. A glass of wine once a day keeps your heart working and your stress under control.

The smell of cigarette smoke makes me feel ill.
    It is bad for the smoker's health and anybody that inhales the smoke.
    There are literally zero health benefits to smoking tobacco.
    I harbour a particular hatred for all smokers that light up a fag, and take a massive drag of it before getting in a train or bus, before expelling this foul stench throughout the (now closed) vehicle.
    Apparently it is acceptable for smokers to litter with their damn fag ends.

On the upside though, the tobacco tax pays for about half of the national health insurance.

it stinks and it kills people. if it were up to me, i'd drive the damn tobacco plant into extinction.

Because secondhand smoke. If you want to smoke then do it outside where it won't bother or harm anyone else. Other than that I have no particularly strong opinions on cigarettes/ smoking in general.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Someone drinking and killing others is entirely limited to their control and responsibility. Someone smoking has no control over harming others unless they do so in a completely separate environment. If the latter weren't true, I'd agree that the stigma were bad. Drinking also doesn't have lasting effects on the body unless you do it in unhealthy amounts. You can't say the same about smoking... other than the exception of 'unhealthy amounts' translating to 'any'. It doesn't help that smoking has the second most addictive substance we're in the presence of on a constant basis. Sugar is possibly higher than it, admittedly.