Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

$60M for a HS Stadium * That is falling apart *

I saw this tonight on KO in the worst person segment and i can't wrap my head $60M for a HS stadium and is close because is falling apart in allen,texas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_S...llen,_Texas%29

To me this is really really really outrageous that * NFL and College Money Level * and the irony is closed and falling apart

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id...um-allen-texas
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2014-03-01 at 04:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine they underestimated Texas clay's ability to rapidly expand and contract, which causes all sorts of foundation and structural problems. I know thats why we have to fix our elevator 2-3 times a year -_-

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I imagine they underestimated Texas clay's ability to rapidly expand and contract, which causes all sorts of foundation and structural problems. I know thats why we have to fix our elevator 2-3 times a year -_-
    When school official question about the * crack and crumbling concrete * the concrete company reply is just settling in ?

WELL TEXAS YOU PAY FOR IT $$$$$$$$

10+ Year Old Account
    We have similar problems here because of swamp land. It's not exactly stable to build on. My high school was built six years before I went to it and just about every hall was uneven when I got there. The parking lot had cracks running all through it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    When school official question about the * crack and crumbling concrete * the concrete company reply is just settling in ?

WELL TEXAS YOU PAY FOR IT $$$$$$$$
    yeah, no. Thats not how the soil here works. Cracks and crumbling are symptoms of bad construction and rapidly expansive clay soil. My house "settles" all the time and we dont have cracks or crumbling. Our elevator just stops working lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    We have similar problems here because of swamp land. It's not exactly stable to build on. My high school was built six years before I went to it and just about every hall was uneven when I got there. The parking lot had cracks running all through it.
    One of the projects I was debating doing my capstone course on was the influence of texas clay soil on the foundation businesses around here xD

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, no. Thats not how the soil here works. Cracks and crumbling are symptoms of bad construction and rapidly expansive clay soil. My house "settles" all the time and we dont have cracks or crumbling. Our elevator just stops working lol.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the projects I was debating doing my capstone course on was the influence of texas clay soil on the foundation businesses around here xD
    I was more shock about the district accepting the explanation................oh well!

10+ Year Old Account
    60 million for a HS football stadium..... i think one of the new elementary schools being built in my area is less than that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    60 million for a HS football stadium..... i think one of the new elementary schools being built in my area is less than that...
    Football is clearly more important than edjamakation. Sadly enough my county shut down an accelerated learning school just to help fund the football team during the recession.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    But look at Candlestick Park near the bay for example the construction start in 58's and so close to the bay

with the 89's hits many people thought is was damage bit is was minor
    On October 17, 1989, the Loma Prieta earthquake (measuring 7.1 on the Richter Scale) struck San Francisco, minutes before Game 3 of the World Series was to begin at Candlestick. No one within the stadium was injured, although minor structural damage was incurred to the stadium. Al Michaels and Tim McCarver, who called the game for ABC, later credited the stadium's design for saving thousands of lives

The problem is either entirely in the design, as someone didn't put enough reinforcements in the concrete or didn't actually calculate the loads right, or the construction company didn't cure it long enough or properly; whatever is in the soil wouldn't be enough of a factor since they're talking about the concourse, not the underside that rests on the soil. I'm frankly amazed that this project got green-lit, but I'm equally amazed by a high school having a stadium that is bigger than my first university's, and they were nuts on football.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aerosyne View Post
    The problem is either entirely in the design, as someone didn't put enough reinforcements in the concrete or didn't actually calculate the loads right, or the construction company didn't cure it long enough or properly; whatever is in the soil wouldn't be enough of a factor since they're talking about the concourse, not the underside that rests on the soil. I'm frankly amazed that this project got green-lit, but I'm equally amazed by a high school having a stadium that is bigger than my first university's, and they were nuts on football.
    Its why I said AND, not OR Its a combination of both. The soil itself could cause some minor things (like my elevator not working ) but cracks and crumbling is evidence of poor construction mixing with the piss poor soil.

10+ Year Old Account
    My HS stadium cost +$1 mil but looks no where need like that..,

Depending on the area, stadiums offer a decent ROI because its not just used for the HS school team but can be rents out for other venues. A number of that football teams play on my old HS's field, the football also does a good job at attracting sponsors/advertisers and ticket sales. I can see how someone expect the Texas stadium to make the money back, still excessive for a HS a sub-collegiate stadium. Didn't read the article but I also hope that they were teaching classes in that stadium or the facade is a complete waste.

My HS built a 3-million-dollar indoor full-scale football field so that our team could practice all-year round. Meanwhile, our entire city is riddled with potholes and shitty roads.

Talk about priorities.

I saw the title and instantly knew who made this...