Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drytoast View Post
    You play this game to have fun. The reward is the fun. That's a game at it's most basic fundamental level. It doesn't get anymore basic than that. If you chose to ride a ground mount because that's your method you prefer and enjoy. Then guess what? You are doubling up on your fun! You will get everything done, and you did it in a way that was the most enjoyable to you.

Because...let's be honest here. I just proved that you don't really care about being competitive, because you would willingly waste your own time in other ways. . So why again couldn't you just elect to play the game the way YOU find enjoyable?

Like I sometimes like to role play that I need to order a drink from the bartender before I log off in a bed in my choice of tavern or inn. Would you appreciate it if I rejoiced in the fact that blizzard now made that mandatory? You know...to "level the playing field" so players, like myself need to budget in their time to allow for the extra time it would now require to simply log out of the fucking game.

Would you appreciate that?
    Probably not, but I cant see any in game benefit it would produce so I dont consider it the same thing really. You misunderstand the situation, flight wasn't removed to spite you, it was done to improve the game. If you don't agree, unsub and tell Blizzard - its the only thing that will change it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Exactly, so you are compelled to use the most efficient method to achieve your goal/quest, ergo you are forced to use flight a flight enabled world.
    What compels you? Reward is the same. It doesn't matter if you do it a second sooner. There's no disadvantage nor advantage in putting less or more effort into it.
    No competition either. So nothing stops you to do it the way you ENJOY. Instead of using the horrible flying.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    So you must be chomping at the bit for garrisons to be removed.
    Indeed, its a perfect example of how convenience removes game play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    Seriously though....there's never been a good rebuttal for what Drytoast is saying. For those people that really really hate flying they have always had the option of either using ground mounts or flight paths. Other than a few daily questing zones, flying was never required. You can argue semantics and immersion all you want but it really is hypocritical. In my opinion, it only ever amounts to a small vocal minority forcing the rest of the player base to play how they want them to.
    This... A billion times this......

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What compels you? Reward is the same. It doesn't matter if you do it a second sooner. There's no disadvantage nor advantage in putting less or more effort into it.
    No competition either. So nothing stops you to do it the way you ENJOY. Instead of using the horrible flying.
    Blizzard bases the rewards on you taking the most efficient route - how can it not be a disadvantage to do it in a slower or difficult method?

Blizzard will never actually make flight paths efficient and you all know this.

Blizzard bases the rewards on you taking the most efficient route - how can it not be a disadvantage to do it in a slower or difficult method?
    That's not true. You don't get more ore from that mining node because you flew in to tap it.

Probably not, but I cant see any in game benefit it would produce so I dont consider it the same thing really. You misunderstand the situation, flight wasn't removed to spite you, it was done to improve the game. If you don't agree, unsub and tell Blizzard - its the only thing that will change it.
    Ahhhh. You wouldn't see any game benefit...but I sure as shit would! I find it increases "immersion" by pretending I need to drink and replensh my character's well being before he logs out in an actual bed.

YOU, on the other hand would NOT appreciate that shit, because you don't give a shit.

Now let's compare travelling.

I don't think I gain anything by travelling on a ground. You do. I don't. Guess what? THAT'S OK. We are completely different players with different likes and priorities. I don't need to dictate to you as to how you need to play the game, and would never praise blizzard it to needlessly shoehorning you into my preferred play style.

Nothing was gained from my POV with this change. All it added would be my continuous hatred every time I was on a ground mount.

10+ Year Old Account
    In fact if you see how the game is designed in regards to meaningful rewards...

Apexis crystals - you got a daily which gives you 800/1000 per day.
    Crafting - daily cd that gives you 10ish required materials
    PvP - honor/conquest - capped, no matter the effort you won't get more than the cap.

There's no advantage to being very efficient in this game.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Seriously though, I never seen a single argument for flying that doesn't centre around convenience.
    It allows for more gameplay options, while its existence prohibits none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    That's not true. You don't get more ore from that mining node because you flew in to tap it.
    Its mainly concerning quests.

Indeed, its a perfect example of how convenience removes game play.
    That is inherently wrong.

If convenience killed game play, hearthstone would have not be made quicker. Summoning stones would never have happened. Ground mount speed would never have been increased nor would have have gotten mounts at earlier levels. Travel in general would not have evolved for the better over the years of wow along with portals. Dual spec would have never happened and no telling how many addons would need to be killed off if convenience killed game play had even a remote bit of truth to it.

So no. Convenience does not kill game play.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    To you it isn't.
    Welcome to the reason this thread is 1622 pages long.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, they are not basing rewards on the most efficient route - they base it on the average player time spent in the game. Because if they based it on the most efficient route - NO ONE WOULD'VE GOTTEN ANY REWARDS, safe for 1% of the playerbase.

They close their eyes on those 1%, they deal with them in other ways: GATING and CAPPING.

Secondly, there's no advantage in putting in more effort.

Deleted
    In fact if you see how the game is designed in regards to meaningful rewards...

Apexis crystals - you got a daily which gives you 800/1000 per day.
    Crafting - daily cd that gives you 10ish required materials
    PvP - honor/conquest - capped, no matter the effort you won't get more than the cap.

There's no advantage to being very efficient in this game.
    Careful you are destroying almost every pro flyer argument.

Like I say reward quests are based on difficulty, effort and time taken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    It allows for more gameplay options, while its existence prohibits none.
    Outright prohibits? No.
    It just makes all other methods of travel obsolete and thus very few chooses any of the "alternatives".
    And since flying takes the world out of the equation, it's regarded as too convenient to those with a lick of game design sense.

As usual the thread falls back upon how it's a "choice" to not fly, and yet everyone here seem so completely unable to stay away from flight paths or let garrisons handle all their daily "needs"...
    Y u no disciprine?
    Oh wait, could it possibly be that you, just like "anti-flyers" who won't stay on the ground, feel compelled to go the most efficient route at the expense of gameplay if you're able to...

If you want to go out mining, since that's more fun than waiting work orders, stop feeding stones to the work order npc!
    Discipline, yes?
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2015-01-07 at 07:00 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    First of all, they are not basing rewards on the most efficient route - they base it on the average player time spent in the game. Because if they based it on the most efficient route - NO ONE WOULD'VE GOTTEN ANY REWARDS, safe for 1% of the playerbase.

They close their eyes on those 1%, they deal with them in other ways: GATING and CAPPING.

Secondly, there's no advantage in putting in more effort.
    And as the average player will be flying the reward will be based on this assumption.

There is no advantage in putting in more effort - so why would you? You keep proving my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am doing no such thing.
    Like I say reward quests are based on difficulty, effort and time taken.
    Do you even read?

- - - Updated - - -

And as the average player will be flying the reward will be based on this assumption.
    No it wouldn't be - proven by 8 years of actual experience.
    There is no advantage in putting in more effort - so why would you? You keep proving my point.
    Why would you? That was my question. And you have no point

Um, if there's no advantage to flying because everything is capped or gated, then there's no reason to not have flying.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Outright prohibits? No.
    It just makes all other methods of travel obsolete and thus very few chooses any of the "alternatives".
    And since flying takes the world out of the equation, it's regarded as too convenient to those with a lick of game design sense.

As usual the thread falls back upon how it's a "choice" to not fly, and yet everyone here seem so completely unable to stay away from flight paths or let garrisons handle all their daily "needs"...
    Y u no disciprine?
    food for thought hamster;

If i played this expansion and their was Garrison's AND flight. I'd fly everywhere to do the things I could easily get my garrison to do.

No joke.

While I hate Garrison's facebook gameplay...I'd prefer that over ground travel if given the choice between the two.

Wrap your head around that.