Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Maybe someone will get this, but the journey to your destination is as important as getting there. When you reduce it too much. The world becomes small, and your essentially just jumping around. There's a reason vanilla, and a large portion of bc felt so big.
    Let's not forget that even while flying was introduced at level 70 in TBC, it wasn't into WoTLK that many players were able to actually buy the epic flight speed upgrade.

That means that ground mounts were still the faster way to travel because the normal flight speed was only 60%. It was a trade-off to fly - you flew slower but safer.

10+ Year Old Account
    kinda strange to have something we paid for and earned taken away, wont change much for me but its still strange

Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    This argument over used by many people who oppose flying. There are quite a few people who use flying to actively explore the world ad not just bypass it all. For me having to wait ~3-4 months after the expansion is released just to be able to fly around and look at things is simply going to mean that some of the shiny will already be worn off, some of the magic lost. If I see an impressive 400 foot tall tower, I want to go look at it. Yeah, it actually bothers me that I can't closely examine those towers with the lightning all over them on the Isle of Thunder. Seeing a little bit of it from limited angles during a scripted event doesn't cut it for me.

Flying lets me see the world. It doesn't hide it from me.
    That may well be for you, but for most others - it just lets them spacebar up to high altitude, point toward their target and hit autorun.

They fly by the tower alright but flying is more important to them because it lets them disregard the ground beneath them and all the dangers it may possess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    kinda strange to have something we paid for and earned taken away, wont change much for me but its still strange
    It's not being taken away. You can still fly everywhere in 6.0 that you can now in 5.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    That may well be for you, but for most others - it just lets them spacebar up to high altitude, point toward their target and hit autorun.
    In my experience it's quite different though, guess it depends on who we play with.

I hope Blizzard removes daze dismounts from mobs though, or at least reduces the amount of mobs that have it. It doesn't make the world dangerous, adds to immersion, or has any other purpose except for adding annoyance to the game.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Superman-BladesEdge;25877585]We still had dungeons. We will have dungeons again in WoD, and the next expac and the one after that. Facts instill faith, Opinions can instill faith... or fear. The only thing being accomplished about running around shouting "The sky is falling" is you will whack your head not looking where you are going.

Please bookmark this thread:

If flying is NEVER released ANYWHERE on Draenor, I will personally purchase a store bought mount for every person in this thread who predicted it.

There have been several conflicting messages from Blizzard on the no flying thing, but it used to be "It's not no flying at all, it's no flying in current content". There`s also been the "you`ll unlock flying in some sort of "epic" questline during 6.1 and 6.2 message". The latest confusion is due to this video where one of the designers express the hope that people will love the change and adapt over time. He`s obviously a fan of no flying.

It`s pretty irrelevant if flying is allowed after WOD is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    In my experience it's quite different though, guess it depends on who we play with.

I hope Blizzard removes daze dismounts from mobs though, or at least reduces the amount of mobs that have it. It doesn't make the world dangerous, adds to immersion, or has any other purpose except for adding annoyance to the game.
    Well, just make them less prevalent. I can see it being used for spiders, guards with nets, and a few others. It just can't be every mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Prism View Post
    Well, just make them less prevalent. I can see it being used for spiders, guards with nets, and a few others. It just can't be every mob.
    Roots would be more suited for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I think most players do this - obviously some more than others.

Any more, I just fly to the nearest flightpath because I got tired of overshooting where I was going when I was reading something on my other monitor.

I hate dazes but they do serve a purpose. Without them they would probably create some other frustrating mechanic to slow down mounts. I know some trolls on ToT (or maybe somewhere else) have instant dismount abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emosaur View Post
    There have been several conflicting messages from Blizzard on the no flying thing, but it used to be "It's not no flying at all, it's no flying in current content". There`s also been the "you`ll unlock flying in some sort of "epic" questline during 6.1 and 6.2 message". The latest confusion is due to this video where one of the designers express the hope that people will love the change and adapt over time. He`s obviously a fan of no flying.

Well, fortunately there is an entire TEAM of people who setup the design and major department heads who decide what stays and what goes. But, if there is one thing I know about Blizz: They are a for-profit company that loves to sell FLYING mounts in their online store.

If they make an expac with NO flying... they might as well just give those mounts away.
    Last edited by -Superman-; 2014-03-12 at 07:52 PM.

All for it.
    Where i upload all my music:
    My Soundcloud!

I hate dazes but they do serve a purpose. Without them they would probably create some other frustrating mechanic to slow down mounts. I know some trolls on ToT (or maybe somewhere else) have instant dismount abilities.
    Eh, that's the exact ability I'm talking about. It's not "some trolls on ToT", it's about every mob in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    I was talking about Draenor flying, no flying on Draenor main-continent until patch 6.1.
    6.1 isn't official, it's just a ball park estimate as to when they MIGHT put it back in.

I disagree, some of these pro-flying folks really have an issue with the no-flying restriction after hitting level 100. They are mad that they might have to do some quest after 6.1 to unlock it again because that somehow makes it different than handing over some arbitrary amount of gold to buy it from a NPC.

It does seem that Blizzard is eyeing the dynamic events trend of Rift and GW2 - you are correct, flying mounts do not mix with that type of content.
    My problem is with travel time, not so much flying. I look at how horrific travel in the game is now. If flying is removed it would be 100 times worse.

Last night, I was playing GW2 and i wanted to go battle in Lions Arch, so I opened my map clicked a button and I was having a blast with people.

In WOW I would have to mount up and figure out my path. It sucks, it takes forever to travel in WOW.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Emosaur;25879204]
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    We still had dungeons. We will have dungeons again in WoD, and the next expac and the one after that. Facts instill faith, Opinions can instill faith... or fear. The only thing being accomplished about running around shouting "The sky is falling" is you will whack your head not looking where you are going.

Please bookmark this thread:

If flying is NEVER released ANYWHERE on Draenor, I will personally purchase a store bought mount for every person in this thread who predicted it.

Send me your in game name please, also.... consider me bookmarked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    Send me your in game name please, also.... consider me bookmarked.
    Currently, you can find me as Shifthappens, Worgen Druid on Sisters of Elune. But not to worry. I have it bookmarked as well and fully plan to come back and do my "I told you so" dance:

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of flying, be it until the first/second patch (6.1? or 6.2?) or through the entire xpac, isn't a concern for me either. So long as my Winged Guardian can still run around Draenor, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    Because the flying crowd is overreacting to the flying restrictions much like a drug user would react to someone taking their stash.

Regardless of how you feel, there is a large number of people who play this game simply to experience the feelings of reward. It has nothing to do with the reward of good gameplay or the reward of an intriguing story and it has everything to do with maximizing dopamine drips in the brain per hour.

These people have turned into robots of efficiency, harshly intolerant of things that take too long. You meet these people in LFR everyday. They are the toxic players who overreact, bash everyone else in the group and leave because it's taking too long. They're angry and agitated because they were expecting a quick fix and instead have to wait.

No flying is fine.

- The rational pro-flying people will take the wait and see approach.
    - The no-flying crowd will enjoy it, but may change their mind after too long without it.
    - The addicted players who want everything fast all at once, will complain and whine every single day until either Blizzard caves or their addiction subsides, whichever comes first.

I honestly feel bad for the irrational pro-flying people. To be so affected by such a trivial thing is not the sign of a healthy lifestyle.
    It's probably a very healthy sign as it means you still have a pulse. Who the hell isn't ridiculously bothered by something another person would call trivial? People get furious being delayed in a car for an extra five minutes. People get upset when their candidate isn't elected into office (even if that person has fairly limited powers). People get upset when their favorite TV show is cancelled or if a celebrity they like passes away. Trivial is surely relative. And just as surely there's not going to be many people who aren't bothered by something trivial.

I would enjoy the reward of a good story provided blizzard ever provided one. That has never been the case for me. Poor voice acting, crappy characterization, and lore that's right out of a bad D&D game.

The gameplay is fine but in your example you suggest that people get impatient waiting. Well, you know, you can't see story or have gameplay if you're waiting. I'm fairly patient, myself, but I understand that there are many others who expect to be actually playing in the game they are paying for.

Re the no flying: just going to have to see how people react. They are going to lose subs over it but I guess they feel that at this point, it's time to wind down the game. No point planning a big world when you can't afford (that is, won't pay) a supersized art team for it anymore. They have probably been ordered to find ways to decrease costs and this is one of them.

Flying is one of the joys of this game for me. I truly love it. I can't picture continuing for long after its' gone. Will probably just do absolutely the minimum needed for raiding in next xpac, staying out of the world as much as possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good. About time they put the players on the ground where you will actually see them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emosaur View Post
    Bookmarking as well.

Mhmm, Armored Bloodwing looks kinda nice. Can it walk?

10+ Year Old Account
    No WoD flying because it would take away to many resources
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Well, fortunately there is an entire TEAM of people who setup the design and major department heads who decide what stays and what goes. But, if there is one thing I know about Blizz: They are a for-profit company that loves to sell FLYING mounts in their online store.

If they make an expac with NO flying... they might as well just give those mounts away.
    That comment is fairly uninformed, the blizzard store mounts also function as ground mounts in no-fly zones, so there is no reason to dismiss them.

OT: I won't be bothered by the no flying at all. A few things I am concerned about though are the prevalence of bots with fly hacks, with no flying for players the usefulness of these hacks for botters is significantly increased.

I am also weary of the usefulness of the sky golem for gathering. Being a druid myself I enjoy the bonus of gathering in flight form. Without flying the best race/class for gathering is going to be a Tauren pally/DK with the Sky Golem, which makes me sad, but whatever.

Overall it should be a fun time, I definitely agree with blizzard that flying shrinks the world, i'm just no so sure they are going to be able to keep no flying for more than the first patch simply because it is such a big part of the game today. Either way I will enjoy exploring the world on foot as well as having a grand old time using the glider to jump off of mountains for fun.