Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelm View Post
    /wave. Thanks!

These are many of the reasons we picked KT.
    Hmm I see many guilds choosing those big ones? Did you guys consider Mannoroth? Just wondering.

Turalyon here, born and raised. Friend of mine got me into the game back in 2010 at the beginning of Cata and I've been here ever since. Turalyon has a nice balance of Horde and Alliance, plenty of guilds to choose from, no queue times, and although we have our fair share of asshats like anyplace else, we're typically a more mature audience. We're also growing, which is something few servers can boast about

Quote Originally Posted by Noveliss View Post
    I love Stormrage, its a good server
    It's a good server but do NOT come here. We are plagued with queues most nights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowfeather View Post
    Turalyon here, born and raised. Friend of mine got me into the game back in 2010 at the beginning of Cata and I've been here ever since. Turalyon has a nice balance of Horde and Alliance, plenty of guilds to choose from, no queue times, and although we have our fair share of asshats like anyplace else, we're typically a more mature audience. We're also growing, which is something few servers can boast about
    Unfortunately, it seems like that place is dying in the alliance side, although I heard that the transfers of Area52/Stormrage increased its pop.

Stormreaver-US has a lot of competitive guilds, to even get on the front page for 10 man at this point you have to kill siegecrafter we also have a lot of high progression 25-mans with 17 25s pushing solid progression.

http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/stormreaver

We aren't insanely Populated but we are high pop we have a good economy but still enough flexibility that it isn't being manhandled like Illidan's we are ranked 5th in PvE and been going up crazy fast our Pop is 10 horde to 1 alliance.

We are a PvP server but it hasn't been a problem, rare camping exists but it is definitely possible to get them, unlike other servers where each spawn has 10 people camping it, our Timeless isle has people but isn't like a consistent army raging we are decent pop but we aren't even close to queue times.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    Then check out PVE realm populations and faction balances
    Are those websites accurate? I've known how close they are to actual numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm so I live in Canada, does that mean the best IP would be a server in NY or Chicago?

I've been on Zul'jin for nine years and never had a problem with it. Always pretty high pop. Always has some good guilds pushing world rankings. Plenty of opportunity and a solid active market.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Hmm I see many guilds choosing those big ones? Did you guys consider Mannoroth? Just wondering.
    Yes we did. But in the end we went with the place that would give us the larger recruitment pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm so I live in Canada, does that mean the best IP would be a server in NY or Chicago?
    Most servers I believe are moving to Chicago or LA anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombats23 View Post
    Thrall fits your criteria if you ask me (http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/thrall) so long as you're willing to play Horde. Just last year around this time it was a pretty dead server but ever since the 50% off transfers happened last year, this server has just been getting better.

Disclaimer though: There are no queues on this server. That said, I would not be too surprised if we end up having queue times in WoD. This server is honestly just getting bigger and better. Just 2 weeks ago we had a 12/14H 25 man transfer over along with a 3rd 10 man on this server downing H-Garrosh.
    This server is awesome: I don't think I would ever transfer off.

A problem people have reported with Connected servers is that one (usually the dominant) server will trash anyone from the other servers, and there can be a lot of animosity, nastiness, and exclusion of people in Connected Realms based on their "home" server. I haven't seen it personally, because I haven't played on any of the connected realms yet, but I've seen multiple reports of issues.

Personally, I would value a server's overall population, faction balance (whether you want it balanced, or leaning one way or the other), raiding population, and PvE/PvP status (if you have a preference) over the server IP location, though considering timezones may be a good idea.

My personal recommendation would be Proudmoore- US if you're looking to roll an Alliance toon.

I play on PvE Proudmoore-US, Alliance, an Alliance-favored West Coast-based PST server. Pugs can typically be found most times of day, most days of the week, but the largest amount of activity is around 4pm-11pm PST (so, between 7pm and 2am EST). We have over 300 raiding guilds (be warned that only like 30 of those are Horde) progressed anywhere from 1/14 normal to 14/14 Heroic. About 280 are 10m and 40 are 25m. 122 of those guilds have at least 1/14H down.

It's pretty populous, but I've yet to run into a login queue, though I have not played during an expansion release on this server. There was no login queue during the patch drop for SoO, though, even during primetime hours.

I was going to suggest Turalyon before you even mentioned it, and I don't see Alliance side as "dying" considering it's more populated now than it has been in years after the Stormrage free transfers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    A problem people have reported with Connected servers is that one (usually the dominant) server will trash anyone from the other servers, and there can be a lot of animosity, nastiness, and exclusion of people in Connected Realms based on their "home" server. I haven't seen it personally, because I haven't played on any of the connected realms yet, but I've seen multiple reports of issues.

Personally, I would value a server's overall population, faction balance (whether you want it balanced, or leaning one way or the other), raiding population, and PvE/PvP status (if you have a preference) over the server IP location, though considering timezones may be a good idea.

My personal recommendation would be Proudmoore- US if you're looking to roll an Alliance toon.

I play on PvE Proudmoore-US, Alliance, an Alliance-favored West Coast-based PST server. Pugs can typically be found most times of day, most days of the week, but the largest amount of activity is around 4pm-11pm PST (so, between 7pm and 2am EST). We have over 300 raiding guilds (be warned that only like 30 of those are Horde) progressed anywhere from 1/14 normal to 14/14 Heroic. About 280 are 10m and 40 are 25m. 122 of those guilds have at least 1/14H down.

It's pretty populous, but I've yet to run into a login queue, though I have not play
    ed during an expansion release on this server. There was no login queue during the patch drop for SoO, though, even during primetime hours.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I don't ever want to sleep that later again. Holy crap it kills me. I would love to show you all how huge my dark circles are (in addition to the sleep apnea I had at the time, yeah I was overweight back then).

Quote Originally Posted by frymastermeat View Post
    I was going to suggest Turalyon before you even mentioned it, and I don't see Alliance side as "dying" considering it's more populated now than it has been in years after the Stormrage free transfers.
    That's the thing, I have no clue what to consider cause who knows how many guilds will be xferring off to servers with larger population as mythic mode has changed everything for a lot of people. All of a sudden they were top players for 10 mans, now they got to compete with the rest of the 25mans.

Also, for Turalyon, wowprogress has said it is larger than Mannoroth US, the server I am considering making my main alliance world (keep in mind I have yet to buy my own account yet, just making starter characters on random large population servers but it doesn't change much as I can't whisper people or post on forums ). However, I checked Realmpop and it says Mannoroth is bigger.

I'd use wowprogress over realmpop in comparing. There could be a lot of inactives on realmpop, but on wowprogress it is generally tracking active kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Prism View Post
    I'd use wowprogress over realmpop in comparing. There could be a lot of inactives on realmpop, but on wowprogress it is generally tracking active kills.
    Wowprogress is absolutely going to give you a better/more accurate idea of the active raiding population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Wowprogress is absolutely going to give you a better/more accurate idea of the active raiding population.
    Unforuntately, in Bleeding Hollow for example, several alliance guilds have already transferred .

Unforuntately, in Bleeding Hollow for example, several alliance guilds have already transferred .
    All of my alliance toons are on BH and I hate it. I've always been on BH but it's seriously gone down hill in recent years. So I used my "free" boost on Turalyon and I'm loving it. I'll probably try to slowly transfer most of my 90s over. Of course, I've only been playing on there since Tuesday so you might want to take this with a grain of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pegwedge View Post
    All of my alliance toons are on BH and I hate it. I've always been on BH but it's seriously gone down hill in recent years. So I used my "free" boost on Turalyon and I'm loving it. I'll probably try to slowly transfer most of my 90s over. Of course, I've only been playing on there since Tuesday so you might want to take this with a grain of salt.
    Oh nice.

I also forgot entirely about GuildOx. That site is far better when it comes to figuring out how many guilds cleared the specific heroic bosses in the specific mode, like some 25 mans did 10 mans during the holiday weekends and now its registered on the 10 man side.

The one who's attractive guild has accepted you.

From my experience, the top server guilds rarely recruit from the server itself, top 100 is *fairly* small, thus most recruits will be from another realm.

So, being on Silvermoon EU for example, doesn't mean I have a higher chance to be in Inner Sanctum, or gain a higher overall rank because the server has more guilds etc.

If you just want to do normals, or play casual or flex or whatever, then sure, makes sense to go to a server with a lot of options.

Depends on your timezone really.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.