View Poll Results: Which will be your new MMO of choice?

Voters
603. This poll is closed
  • Wildstar

185 30.68%
  • Elder Scrolls Online

134 22.22%
  • Neither - WoW forever

158 26.20%
  • None of these.

126 20.90%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    i cannot understand why people say any of the games will be "massive/epic failures". most people coming to this thread have given the games a chance in beta, but then fail to realize... its a beta. several people list absolutely zero reasons as to why they think one game or another will fail. these are probably the same people that also missed the massive patch notes for Wildstar beta that addresses tons of issues and concerns.

i think the poll is becoming more clear, that the MMO market could very well see 3 top MMO's instead of one. the community is almost in a threeway tie for these games, there doesnt seem to be a landslide choice. if somebody didnt like one of the games, thats fine, hopefully they find what they want in one of the other two. but i dont see them becoming "massive or epic failures".
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2014-03-18 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i cannot understand why people say any of the games will be "massive/epic failures". most people coming to this thread have given the games a chance in beta, but then fail to realize... its a beta. several people list absolutely zero reasons as to why they think one game or another will fail. these are probably the same people that also missed the massive patch notes for Wildstar beta that addresses tons of issues and concerns.

i think the poll is becoming more clear, that the MMO market could very well see 3 top MMO's instead of one. the community is almost in a threeway tie for these games, there doesnt seem to be a landslide choice. if somebody didnt like one of the games, thats fine, hopefully they find what they want in one of the other two. but i dont see them becoming "massive or epic failures".
    That's called past experiences.
    Every mmo that has been released in Europe/USA between pretty much EQ and now (and that's a LOT of them) has been hyped as the next new coming of gaming. Very few have actually gained or known a large succes:

First generation obviously The realm, Nexus, Lineage and Everquest where very succesfull for their timeframe.
    Second generation mmo's that have been very succesful:
    - DaOC
    - Lineage 2
    - Final Fantasy XI

Then came the 'new and refreshing' current generation of mmo's, of which most poeple can name the bigshots:
    - EQ2
    - WoW
    - Guildwars to a lesser extent
    - Rift to a lesser extent

Most of the big titles of this generation have pretty much failed, very low content pace or dramatic player numbers. Just to name a few: AoC, Swtor, WH:O, Aion, Tabula Rasa, Lotro, D&D online, Perfect world.

For a game to settle in the current market i think it has to be so new and fresh that we can call this 4th generation MMO.
    Many people thought GW2 would be this, but it sort fo failed to deliver as it was just a mash-up of already known mechanics.
    In my opinion Both Teso and Wildstar are more of the same, it's just 3rd generation mmo's with some small new ideas. The thing is, people don't want more of the same.
    It's fun for a while because it's a new environment, but after a while you notice that it's just the same game you where already playing and where you had your years of progress. That's the point where most people switch back to whatever MMO they where playing before and player numbers decline dramatically. It's what happened to most of the mmo's in the above list actually.

In my opinion the only MMO that is now in development that looks like it's gonna truly bring a new generation of MMO is EQ:N, but we sitll know too little to be sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Odd, I feel the exact opposite. WildStar will attract the mature community that doesn't take video games ultra seriously, while TESO will attract RPing neckbeards and children desperately attempting to be grown up.
    While i think the whole "mature people play x and only kids will play y" thing is stupid i'm still interested why you think that a game that tries to be as oldschool and hardcore as possible and has a grind-and-raid endgame will attract mainly people that don't take video games ultra seriously.
    If anything i think hardcore gamers will be more interested in Wildstar, at least they try to market it at them.

I hate the visual style present in games like TOR and now WildStar AND EverQuest Next which IMO is a huge disappointment. And while I am not a fan of ESO - I would pick that over the former.

Odd, I feel the exact opposite. WildStar will attract the mature community that doesn't take video games ultra seriously, while TESO will attract RPing neckbeards and children desperately attempting to be grown up.
    The art style is just a decision based on what works best for the genre. After watching dungeon and raid videos for Wildstar. I can safely say they look a lot more fun than wow's. Before you freak out with a wow defense. Go watch it for yourself. The game isn't catered to children at all. That's a comment that shows you probably saw a minute of a video and assumed it was geared towards kids. Wow is way more casual and kid friendly than Wildstar. The game is very much a return for what works in an mmo, and an evolution of the genre. Smart people are developing that game.

Neither. Not into sci-fi/space-age fantasy (I've never seen an episode of Star Trek) so won't be bothering with Wildstar.

I will probably try ES:O since my wife wants to, but doubt I will like it based on reviews and what I've seen.

X is for kids but Y is for mature people. No exceptions.

Mocking the RP community isn't what I'd call "mature" behavior. Go to WildStar, then

Probably neither, Wildstar if anything. WoW is still the best MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    ~snip~
    you do make some interesting points and i certainly cant speak for anybody but myself, but just to elaborate a bit more on my first post, i never felt those other games you mention were that interesting really.

SWTOR, really didnt work in an MMO environment because the story was too specific. i liked star wars because of prominent characters, and i only want to play those characters as if to see how i would do things in the same situations the characters did in the stories. i dont enjoy seeing 2 million luke skywalkers, or 2 million darth vaders. and being generic sith player a or generic jedi player b just doesnt feel like im playing those prominent characters. that makes this game more niche to people that truly have an affinity for Star Wars. its just too specific for people just looking for a fun character to pretend to be.

i dont know much about GW but just off of initial perception, it didnt grab me. it lacked humor. im drawn to humorous people, stories and situations. i like a bit of sarcasm mixed in with my other emotional experiences. GW2 could very well have had its funny moments, but it certainly didnt give me that vibe, so i personally didnt try it. now for whoever is reading this, dont go all extreme and read into that.

WoW with its cartoonish artwork and humorous trailers say "come see whats in this game. there is adventure with some humor along the way to a dramatic end." Wildstar gives me that same feeling. it just fits me personally. thats why i think WoW will continue to lead the way, but Wildstar and ESO will both fill big shoes and attract many players to the game that suits them best. we will have more choice in that all 3 games are trying to appeal to large audiences rather than niche smaller ones.

i dont see these games becoming "massive/epic failures" any more so than the games that have come before them.

people just struggle to understand what a beta is. they confuse "beta" with "finished product to try out".
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

The reason swtor did not work for me is because aside from the leap or lightning fingers attacks the jedi combat was not good enough, The shield on the sniper assassin was an interesting twist but when Jedi fight it should be more than just light sticks touching one another. The main problem I had was bashing a droid 20 times with a light saber to beat it when we have all seen that a curving flick of the wrist can cut a droid in three, and don't give me this crap about hitting someone with an axe 20 times either because we are talking about a weapon that can cut through bulk heads just by pressing against it like a knife through hot butter.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    WoW does just as much copying. Garrisons have SWTOR-like elements in regards to profession "helpers" and MoP has artifact collecting that is very similar to Rift.

WoW hasn't been innovating in comparison to competitors though (including competitors on the market currently) and that will eventually have a negative effect on the game as other games start to look more attractive to new players/old WoW players tired of the same old stuff in a new expansion.
    Blizzard takes a MMO concept and makes it even better. That is what they did with WoW in comparison with EQ. The companion system for crafting in SWTOR was both boring and basically useless. At least the farm in WoW has some very useful stuff, esp for early in a expansion. It remains to be seen what garrisons will be like. But so far the info about them sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I have pre-ordered ESO as I was in the beta.

After spending 10 solid hours in the final beta this weekend (and recording +/- 4 hours of it), I predict that the game is going to have a terrible, very buggy launch, will probably be F2P within a year - in my opinion. I am going to wait two weeks and then activate my retail key I purchased today - give them time to fix some of the bugs.

I just want to see the stories for the 3 alliances, do a bit of PvP and then I'll wait for it to switch to F2P in a year or so. I think it could be an incredibly successful F2P game, however.

I can't comment too much on Wildstar except that the YouTube vids haven't really impressed me thus far.
    If you aren't driven to play it on release, pay a subscription and play on through without waiting for it to go free to play, if you don't spend your downtime reading anything you can get your hands on about the game, it if doesn't consume your thoughts during the day at work waiting for the chance to get back online. . . well its just not a very good MMO now is it?