Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, nobody I know got lucky enough to get a gear set anywhere near the one they could get from the AH simply by doing a few runs. A single good drop would buy them their entire gear set. There were a lot of videos coming out every week about how to gear your class for less and less money, and cruise through inferno. Diablofans had a bunch of them. Also, I don't know anyone who "farmed gold", per se. It was just farming everything. Your typical boss farm runs basically, or clearing a zone.

By the time you'd gotten lucky enough to get a great gear set for your class you'd found enough rares and magicals and even a few better legendary items to make such bank that you could buy ten gear sets.

Someone did. They beat inferno in a few days remember. Not to mention someone had to find the gear for it to be sold.

Budget builds weren't coming out until 2-3 months after release.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Someone did. They beat inferno in a few days remember.
    Yeah a few people did, some of whom were really good players, and others who had their fan base throwing all their gear and money on them. Also, these players got drops too, and they most likely got one or two good ones which they sold and used that gold to buy even better gear.

Not to mention someone had to find the gear for it to be sold.
    Well there were millions of players for that. One in a thousand finds a single good drop and you'll still end up with an AH overflowing with gear.

Budget builds weren't coming out until 2-3 months after release.
    They were out earlier than that. People were already quitting after 2-3 months.

To be fair, gear only mattered for the first 1-2 months up until the nerf. Afterwards the massive focus/requirement on good gear builds was removed when the game became much much easier.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

*spits on the AH's grave*

God riddance to a horrible idea that was implemented horribly.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, happy to see it gone. Despite knowing that the AH was kind of a scapegoat, I only see this as a closing of a long and bad chapter in D3's history book. While still standing by that D3 at launch was a good game, it needed patch 2.0.1 and the AH shutting down to give the game new life.

Farewell, Auction House, let your existence be all but a memory that we all will look back on one day remembering as Blizzard's biggest design mistake ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Theelol View Post
    somehow i got a feeling its no the last we have seen of it
    2nd diablo 3 expansion: The return of the auction house

I would actually pay for that, even if it was only mats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    *spits on the AH's grave*

God riddance to a horrible idea that was implemented horribly.
    Agreed.

It would have been an entirely different and much more enjoyable experience if D3 was an extension of D2 and how the drops worked there instead of getting D3 that was designed around the AH/RMAH system.

F'ed up the whole game from the bottom up.

Good riddance to the whole system.

Deleted
    way to late we were saying that the ah is bad after release because of exactly the same reasons why blizz closed it after 2 years but they did wait until the game almost died and needed some good PR back for the launch of ROS but still better late than never. I hope next time blizzard listens instantly what players tells them, real gamer knows always better than devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kritisch View Post
    way to late we were saying that the ah is bad after release because of exactly the same reasons why blizz closed it after 2 years but they did wait until the game almost died and needed some good PR back for the launch of ROS but still better late than never. I hope next time blizzard listens instantly what players tells them, real gamer knows always better than devs.
    What about the gamers who are now complaining because for them trading with strangers and sharing with friends was a big part of the Diablo end-game, are they also right and the devs are wrong?

Just because one particular viewpoint is very vocal (in this case people disliking the AH) doesn't mean it represents the feelings of every gamer. In this case Blizzard have agreed that it makes more sense to remove the AH than to keep it in, but on the other hand they are keeping online-only when it had an equally big outcry when first announced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    What about the gamers who are now complaining because for them trading with strangers and sharing with friends was a big part of the Diablo end-game, are they also right and the devs are wrong?

Just because one particular viewpoint is very vocal (in this case people disliking the AH) doesn't mean it represents the feelings of every gamer. In this case Blizzard have agreed that it makes more sense to remove the AH than to keep it in, but on the other hand they are keeping online-only when it had an equally big outcry when first announced.
    The AH destroyed the need to farm ingame because you would get easily an upgrade for little money, not to forget the insane stupid itemization, the loot was very bad because they wanted us to use the ah. But this things i mentioned like 2 years ago, there were not so many people back then telling this stuff.
    Online-only is also important but never as much as the ah problem because that was gamebreaking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritisch View Post
    The AH destroyed the need to farm
    Well, true. But, only because of the people.

See, Diablo clones have never been about the "need" to have gear. They've always been about the fact that you farm for the gear. However, with the way the gamer base of today is, the Millennials mostly, they want everything right now, for free, and perfect. The auction house suddenly gave them that. So, they bought all the shit, and didn't bother with actually playing the game.

Those of us who actually play the games to farm, as they're supposed to be played, from the first Diablo, and from it's ancestors on, if we bought anything, it was with farmed gold, and to be more efficient at farming. Because that's what Diablo clones are all about. Farming. Forever.