Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does MMOC mean compromised discussions?

This isn't news by any means. The rules explicitly state that it's a private forum, and our discussions will naturally only happen at their discretion.

But is that a problem?

Maybe a website for a certain product isn't the best place for honest discussion about said product if the site depends on success of said product?

Can a truly neutral feedback occur over a game (or whatever) on a host that is dedicated to said property?

It's sort of paradoxical, don't you think?

It might be a little confusing, but I don't think it is paradoxical. And then, you're the one confusing yourself.

It is a fansite for video games, with World of Warcraft primary among them. They release news and patch details along with aggregating the words of the game creators. There isn't an ulterior motive here.
    Call me Cassandra

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels like forum moderation here is meant to defend blizzard at every turn. Threads that blizzard and their developers won't like get locked quickly.

Moderation isn't very rigorous around here so the only issue you might have is coming from the general audience that might be different than on a more gaming oriented board not dedicated to a specific title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyael View Post
    It might be a little confusing, but I don't think it is paradoxical. And then, you're the one confusing yourself.

It is a fansite for video games, with World of Warcraft primary among them. They release news and patch details along with aggregating the words of the game creators. There isn't an ulterior motive here.
    I think there's more depth to it than that. It's a pretty big enterprise with lots of people involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    It feels like forum moderation here is meant to defend blizzard at every turn. Threads that blizzard and their developers won't like get locked quickly.
    It doesn't really do that. There's plenty of *whining* threads going around. The fact is if it's not constructive it's going to go bye bye. I'd also wager the Moderation here is loads better then on the official WoW website.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Moderation isn't very rigorous around here so the only issue you might have is coming from the general audience that might be different than on a more gaming oriented board not dedicated to a specific title.
    It isn't really about the moderation, per se. I agree that they are actually kind of lax here. The question is, is it an *ideal* place for an honest discussion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It doesn't really do that. There's plenty of *whining* threads going around. The fact is if it's not constructive it's going to go bye bye.
    Constructive in who's opinion. It's censorship.

Censorship in who's opinion?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they defend Blizzard, necessarily. But they also never make criticisms when they are due.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    I don't think they defend Blizzard, necessarily. But they also never make criticisms when they are due.
    Whether on not a criticism is due is a matter of opinion.

This entire thread didn't need to ever exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Censorship in who's opinion?
    I bet you think this is a wise and clever response, it's not. Censorship is bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It doesn't really do that. There's plenty of *whining* threads going around. The fact is if it's not constructive it's going to go bye bye. I'd also wager the Moderation here is loads better then on the official WoW website.
    True about the constructive criticism. But more specifically, do you think it is ideal if constructive criticism causes pressure for Blizzard and a fansite attempts to erase it? Hypothetically speaking, of course, I'm not pointing fingers, I think it's something that needs to be discussed in the abstract.

I bet you think this is a wise and clever response, it's not. Censorship is bad.
    Censorship is bad, when it happens. From what I seen of locked threads, most of them are either trolls or people trying to bait. How is that censorship?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an ideal place for honest discussion if the honest discussion is at the same time civil and non-hostile. We will for sure close any threads that attack or insult anyone, be it other forum posters, celebrities, random people or Blizzard developers. "I disagree with x because I argue that y is z, and not w" is not the same as "I think x is stupid because y is a moron". The first example is honest discussion, the second example is something that will get infracted and locked instantly.

Ultimately, public discussion of moderation is typically prohibited, your question is borderline so be careful with how the thread continues please.
    My magic will tear you apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Whether on not a criticism is due is a matter of opinion.
    True, but beside the point. I'm not a fan of the "opinion reducio" game. Let's just say, why cannot a fansite introduce criticism? Why doesn't that ever happen? Keep in mind, I am talking about criticism, not negativity.

Hense why there's no huge threads whining about no flying, character boosts, long waits between tiers/expansions, the cash shop...

Oh wait, that's half the threads on MMO Champion.

There's no such censorship going on at all. The fact certain users can repeatedly make trollbait threads over and over again without being permabanned shows this too - if anything I don't think there's enough 'censorship' going on to clear up the community, and too much trying to keep the current status quo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    Ultimately, public discussion of moderation is typically prohibited, your question is borderline so be careful with how the thread continues please.
    I'm fully aware. Thanks for the warning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Hense why there's no huge threads whining about no flying, character boosts, long waits between tiers/expansions, the cash shop...

Oh wait, that's half the threads on MMO Champion.

There's no such censorship going on at all. The fact certain users can repeatedly make trollbait threads over and over again without being permabanned shows this too - if anything I don't think there's enough 'censorship' going on to clear up the community, and too much trying to keep the current status quo.
    Most of those threads are locked, unless they take the pro-blizzard angle.

the difference is usually between "this sucks" and "this sucks because...". the former is an empty statement of opinion whereas the latter is still a statement of opinion but one which explains itself and invites discussion