Thread: PvP Dimensions

10+ Year Old Account

PvP Dimensions

Always thought you could design a better Warfront ? customise it to your standards? Trion released a goodie pack to make your own PvP Arenas in Dimensions this week and have released a short video

Last edited by Slipmat; 2014-03-27 at 05:55 PM.

As with others on the forums complaining I do think the cost to enable to pvp in a dimension was set too high. Daglars and Ocho's reasoning that this was never a planned feature and took dev time that could have been put somewhere else only flies if you remove the fact people have been requesting this for 3+ years.

This was a chance to throw the ignored pvp community a bone, but someone at Trion made a business decision to try and cash in on the a pvp community they assume blows cash like they do in League of Legends.

If the intent is to make them exclusive content and not a million of them then this is the correct approach, but instead of making up the cost in a month they extend that out to like a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    As with others on the forums complaining I do think the cost to enable to pvp in a dimension was set too high. Daglars and Ocho's reasoning that this was never a planned feature and took dev time that could have been put somewhere else only flies if you remove the fact people have been requesting this for 3+ years.

This was a chance to throw the ignored pvp community a bone, but someone at Trion made a business decision to try and cash in on the a pvp community they assume blows cash like they do in League of Legends.

If the intent is to make them exclusive content and not a million of them then this is the correct approach, but instead of making up the cost in a month they extend that out to like a year or two.
    Seeing as the game has been out for pretty much exactly 3 years and Dimensions are still pretty new, no, people have not been asking for this for 3+ years. They did not even mention the possibility of such a thing until after Dimensions came out, then people were just asking when it was going to happen. People were requesting Arena like PvP with rankings, and this does not really come close to that. There are no rankings or anything.

As for the cost. Well, for the people that say "it should be easy," let's see them do it then. Also, they have been working on class balancing, new souls, T3 raids and likely prepping 3.0 content. PvP Dimensions sure as hell DID pull a lot away from that, for a smaller portion of the community. Yeah, they want it, they pay for it.

On top of that, it is not like you have to pay to participate. Someone builds one and you, I or anyone who has not spent a dime can play in it. Personally, I do not understand why people are making that big of a deal out of it. Seriously, $25 can get you the three team starter set. That gives you pretty much what you need to make a PvP dimension. Want more? Well, $40-50 total would get you about all you could possibly need. Seeing as PvPers are a smaller portion of the community and they took development time from the larger part of the community, that's a pretty fair price, around the price of an expansion, in a game that you really don't need to by anything else in. To do Arena-style fights in other games you gotta pay $15 A MONTH. That's $180 a year. This is a fraction of that cost, and only those that want to build need pay it. Anyone can participate once they are there.

My only real observation Lathais is the $40 cost for the Dimension really is an amount that does not fit with what they have priced other things at in the game. If they put it at $25 then I doubt anyone would even notice, but that $40 cost is a strange decision.

I also do think they should take shit for putting out a new feature and putting a cash wall on it. Daglar played it off like it was not a slippery slope, but it does open the door to gating content in a F2P game with requiring payment first.

Their current approach to everything was that of what I saw with NCSoft that they made the in game method a grind and the cash shop appealing. This removes the in game method completely.

My only real observation Lathais is the $40 cost for the Dimension really is an amount that does not fit with what they have priced other things at in the game. If they put it at $25 then I doubt anyone would even notice, but that $40 cost is a strange decision.

I also do think they should take shit for putting out a new feature and putting a cash wall on it. Daglar played it off like it was not a slippery slope, but it does open the door to gating content in a F2P game with requiring payment first.

Their current approach to everything was that of what I saw with NCSoft that they made the in game method a grind and the cash shop appealing. This removes the in game method completely.
    Ummm, $25 gets you the 3-team pack. It's even less for the 2-team pack. $25 would get you the 2 team pack and a lot of extras. So I do not see your point. It's if you want any of the extras it costs more. Still far far far cheaper than small scale battles in any other game. The reason it is priced more than other things on the store is quite simple really. The only people that will buy them are people that are into PvP AND into building Dimensions. Both small portions of the player base. Sales will not be as high as other items on the cash shop. Supply and Demand. Demand is low, price is high.

The feature is not behind a paywall. If I want to, I can find a PvP Dimension and participate for free. No charge. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Yeah, you wanna build, you pay a little. You wanna build more, you pay a little more.

Now your NCSoft argument, it removes an in-game way completely. What are REX? An in-game way of making credits. Wow. There is an in-game method. Please never ever compare Trion to NCSoft. That's just.........

Wait...which game? GW2 doesn't have much of a grind at all, and leveling isn't super critical to the game.

L2? Well, for the F2P transition they essentially rocket you to 40something (IIRC) and then the rest of the game is unchanged in terms of leveling from it's P2P version.

Aion? They've added in hundreds and hundreds of quests over the years to combat the complaints of needing to grind mobs/repeatable quests. Those are all still there since the F2P transition. In addition, they added a Fast Track server that provides 300% experience for levels 1-50 to help get people close to the level cap (which I believe is now 60).

So I don't see what NCsoft game you're talking about there. And I sure as hell don't see how Rift has increased the grind since going f2p either >.>