Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Exclamation Return of Blood DK Dps?

With the revelation that Protection is going to become a viable dps spec for warriors, does anyone see it possible that there would be a return of Blood dps?

As a Death Knight player, it bothered me when Blood was no longer able to dps, but now that Protection is getting a dps option, I feel almost betrayed. The template is there for Blood to dps. Adjust frost presence while specced as blood to allow for fair dps numbers, and a few slight changes and it would be great. Anyone else agree?

No, prot won't become a real dps spec. Its basically like fistweaving for MW monks. It has its uses but is neither a viable heal or dps spec by itself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jajomurphy View Post
    With the revelation that Protection is going to become a viable dps spec for warriors, does anyone see it possible that there would be a return of Blood dps?

As a Death Knight player, it bothered me when Blood was no longer able to dps, but now that Protection is getting a dps option, I feel almost betrayed. The template is there for Blood to dps. Adjust frost presence while specced as blood to allow for fair dps numbers, and a few slight changes and it would be great. Anyone else agree?
    As someone that missed the unholy tanking style of 3.0, suck it up. I hate what unholy spec has become. It used to be about strong diseases and spell damage. Now it's that, but it's also the pet spec AND you can't tank in it. It doesn't even remotely resemble what made me love DKs at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    As someone that missed the unholy tanking style of 3.0, suck it up. I hate what unholy spec has become. It used to be about strong diseases and spell damage. Now it's that, but it's also the pet spec AND you can't tank in it. It doesn't even remotely resemble what made me love DKs at first.
    Wouldn't you like to see a return to how it used to be though? Think about it, they already have "Stance does different things in different specs" built in, what if they changed how it functions via glyph? You glyped, for example, to make Blood Presence tanky outside of blood spec, but it cost you certain aspects of your spec so that it didn't break PvP something awful. You could glyph DRW to be a dps boost instead of a tank CD, you could give Frost presence (while blood spec) a passive reduction of cost to DC and maybe 1-2 other small changes to bring it around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jajomurphy View Post
    Wouldn't you like to see a return to how it used to be though? Think about it, they already have "Stance does different things in different specs" built in, what if they changed how it functions via glyph? You glyped, for example, to make Blood Presence tanky outside of blood spec, but it cost you certain aspects of your spec so that it didn't break PvP something awful. You could glyph DRW to be a dps boost instead of a tank CD, you could give Frost presence (while blood spec) a passive reduction of cost to DC and maybe 1-2 other small changes to bring it around.
    It's never going to be the way I liked unholy again. I don't like the ghoul, bone armor is now blood, unholy blight is a joke, it's just not the same. They made tanking strictly about the blood shield and that's that.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Protection isn't going to be a viable dps spec, either.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I for one would love hybrid dks or frost tanking... Ahh I wish they didn't ruin most of the class back in Cata. Also where is it mentioned that prot is going to be a viable dps spec?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    I for one would love hybrid dks or frost tanking... Ahh I wish they didn't ruin most of the class back in Cata. Also where is it mentioned that prot is going to be a viable dps spec?
    Ruin most of the class? Honestly having 3 specs that did the same things didn't work out well. It was confusing for people starting out new in the class, it was hard to balance damage in raids around, and it made it really difficult to gauge tank effectiveness. It was so annoying how many people would sit on frost presence (the tanking presence pre-Cataclysm) because they were "frost dps" or people who would make fun of you for being a blood tank because they preferred unholy. The specs were super unbalanced and it was just freakin sad.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Ruin most of the class? Honestly having 3 specs that did the same things didn't work out well. It was confusing for people starting out new in the class, it was hard to balance damage in raids around, and it made it really difficult to gauge tank effectiveness. It was so annoying how many people would sit on frost presence (the tanking presence pre-Cataclysm) because they were "frost dps" or people who would make fun of you for being a blood tank because they preferred unholy. The specs were super unbalanced and it was just freakin sad.
    True but I wish they kept some of the hybrid/cookie cutter choices unlike in cata you were forced to either play dw or 2h frost. I guess it's just me still not liking the new talent system yet. Although I do agree talents such as increase X damage by 1/2/3 and so on % were useless but they couldve left the old talent tree for more play choices. Also I must be one of the few who miss the old rune system but it might as well be just nostalgia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    Hell I loved being one of the few dual-wield tanks in the Frost tree back during WoTLK and up until they ruined that. I - unlike Dars - loved the fact you could have different tank builds because, in my eyes, it allowed for more flexibility in the tanking mechanics and playstyle for DK's. I've adjusted to blood tanking but I do miss and long for the DW-frost tanking days.

Monsem - Shadow Priest / Halimath - Prot Paladin / Groundchuk - Elemental Shaman
    [/SIZE]

I've mostly been a blood tank since LK dropped, something about it always appealed to me. Anyway, I think blood does acceptable DPS now, but nothing spectacular. Everything any more is very much "by the numbers" meaning that all the tanks do roughly the same dps, some are better at single target and others at aoe, but overall they're pretty similar. Developers won't be helping us at all if we want to see a return of frost or unholy tanks, so the best a player could do is get the gear, analyze it, glyph it, and get their guild to help them achieve their goal.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Blood DPS is very similar to today's 2H Frost, so if you want it back you can just spec 2H frost I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No. Protection isn't going to be a viable dps spec, either.
    Yes it will, in gladiator stance. That's the dev goal, anyway.

There are no (announced) plans to do something similar for other tank specs. Just warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yes it will, in gladiator stance. That's the dev goal, anyway.

There are no (announced) plans to do something similar for other tank specs. Just warriors.
    It won't function as a true dps spec though. It'll be like the demon hunting demo warlock glyph that makes them pseudo tanks. (Difference being it wouldn't be utterly useless)

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    It won't function as a true dps spec though. It'll be like the demon hunting demo warlock glyph that makes them pseudo tanks. (Difference being it wouldn't be utterly useless)
    Nope. It will offer the same DPS as arms and fury. Assuming they balance it right, anyway.

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...04848032071681

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Nope. It will offer the same DPS as arms and fury. Assuming they balance it right, anyway.

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...04848032071681
    They've never said that.

Nah, even if they make our new best secondary stat haste/crit as opposed to the new ones or mastery as is current, we aren't going for DPS. We'd be toned down and just be a fast/slightly harder hitting 2handed tanking class that utilizes more frequent shield updates/bigger heals based off crit instead of bigger shields when DS lands as is the mastery way. Crit and Mastery would be too similar and crappy spiky so I don't see that being the thing. Haste, maybe a different kind of playstyle that's used for those high DPS requirement fights in Prog, similar to what we saw happen this expac. But no way would we be dealing as much damage as now.

Gone are the days of Heart Strike spam.
    Last edited by Dessan; 2014-04-03 at 02:03 AM.

Deleted
    Blood DPS yes please, also Armor Penetration yes please.
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    They've never said that.
    Are you mental? I linked to the tweet.

I'm not sure why most of you guys are vehemently refusing the idea of blood dps. I would love to see blood back as a viable dps spec. It was one of my most favorite specs to dps in and had some great utility for certain fights. I think the animosity comes from these people who are average to below average players and probably never were good with blood. In my heroic 10 man icc group I would go blood for certain fights for increased burst.

I also remember out dpsing plenty of other non blood dk's in raids and dungeons. Blood just had a fun play style to it when you wanted a change. Plus, depending on spec, abominations might had good utility back then for melee heavy 10 mans. The blood spec I'm talking about isn't the no disease, heartstrike and deathstrike combo that was super op at the beginning of wotlk but the spec during ICC.

I also don't think it would be difficult to implement and would allow for dk's to stand out and change specs for certain fights to bring some utility to small raids.