10+ Year Old Account

Is getting a Technical Degree a good idea? Or something...

Hey,

I have been thinking about my future. And to be honest, nothing in a four year degree field has appealed to me yet.
    I really can't think of anything else to write haha. I just can't seem to find something to shoot for.
    Eh, guess I just wanted to type something out.

Mmmmmmmmm. Depends on what you do with it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the technical degree. In Alberta an MRI tech would be a great idea, construction engineering tech also a solid choice. There are likely lots of others as well. I would probably recommend taking some time off school to work or travel to try and figure out what you want to do. A technical degree is usually quite focused and if it turns out you don't really like what you're doing, you will spend either a lot of time doing something you don't like or you will just quit. A 4 year degree at a university also gives you a chance to "try things out" in a few general areas and then you can choose something a little more specific. That's what I did, went to uni in general arts. Took a wide range of classes, was in Science the year after. You might not take that route, but just thought it was something worth mentioning if you really have no idea what to do.

Good luck.

technical or vocational studies can be a good career path, just remember that you have to keep up with current best practices in you field or your skill set will be irrelevant when technological improvements come into play.

Example: getting a technical certification in networking in the last 5 years can help, especially in the small to medium business environment, with setting up moderate size business networks, but unless you keep up with current security programs, connectivity and server technology, you're career will last only about 5-10 years, in rural areas, and even less in larger cities, because you'll not have the know-how to implement the solutions that your customers are asking for.

I guess if you are going to get a technical degree just keep in mind that you will need to keep learning and building on those basic skills, gained during your certification program, but realize that you will have to keep going back to training every few years, if not sooner, to keep the certification worth the paper it is written on.

I would learn a trade or a specific talent. I have 2 degrees and ended up getting a job in a totally different field from my major.

Yes ,Off course...

It's a great idea in an age of farmed out useless four year degrees.

Technical skills like Welding, plumbing, and being a skilled electrician are hugely in demand. You would be starting very early and the rate of pay increase is very high.