Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    There will be one, eventually, but not in near future I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    but is it good for the company or good for the consumer.
    i get the company attitude with "our 10 years old product still making money, let's not change it yet". It's like my 10 years old car still running good, no need to change.

10 years ago people were running a single core pentium at 1GHz with 512 Mo Ram (the average config). Nowaday the average config might be at least a dual core, more likely a quad core at 3-4 GHz with 2 Go RAM and a graphic card that blows 10 years old cards out of the water.

Yes i think the game should follow the technical advance. At very least, push the graphic option high for those who have good rig.
    It is safe to say they know what is good for the company. Not to discount your wisdom and sage advice. If your 10 year old car was a race car and winning more races and making more money then the new race cars then you wouldn't change it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Okay it's nice to see some people with the same opinion as me, let's go back to the graphics... when I was younger I'd play a game called Toontown if you've ever seen anything of that game the current graphics are comparable with WoW which is shocking to say as 5 - 10 year olds play, I can run the game graphics in ultra for WoW now and in comparison to Low and Ultra they both look incredibly cartoony with not much difference at all...
    Now for WoD as most people seem to think its 'The WoW 2' alright about that... i've seen what's happening change wise and all I see is different facial options in create a character, a level 100 cap, it's about going back in time... Okay then I see no new race, I see no improvements in graphics, no announced new engine that it will run on... More or less it's just another expansion people will get sick of after a month... Now tell me how it is going to be 'The WoW2 change in the game'
    To finish off I agree with the people who want a new MMO that's not futuristicly space based as I love the MMO genre however the current WoW has lost me, that's why I begun this thread asking about WoW2 as I've tried most other MMOs that aren't quite the old WoW that I loved such as EA's SWTOR (very similar to WoW however rather low fanbase and not worth the monthly sub) and LOTRO.
    Last edited by mmoc597552a6f5; 2014-04-26 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I'm willing to bet anyone on this.

You will never see a world of warcraft 2.
    Incorrect:

The true answer is "You will never see a World of Warcraft 2 while World of Warcraft 1 is still economically viable."

No king lasts forever and all that jazz. Chances are Blizz has a team of like 10 people quietly predicting and making small little design decisions right now and evolving it from what they have learned from WoW - and are just stockpiling notes at this stage. When the time comes where WoW is dramatically falling in subs - THAT is when World of Warcraft 2 will begin development.

Now, don't get me wrong - I expect that to happen, but not for a very VERY long time... at this rate at least another 10-15+ years from now minimum. And this is also excluding Titan (if that ever happens). Titan's success will determine the length of development time allotted for WoW2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Incorrect:

The true answer is "You will never see a World of Warcraft 2 while World of Warcraft 1 is still economically viable."

No king lasts forever and all that jazz. Chances are Blizz has a team of like 10 people quietly predicting and making small little design decisions right now and evolving it from what they have learned from WoW - and are just stockpiling notes at this stage. When the time comes where WoW is dramatically falling in subs - THAT is when World of Warcraft 2 will begin development.

Now, don't get me wrong - I expect that to happen, but not for a very VERY long time... at this rate at least another 10-15+ years from now minimum. And this is also excluding Titan (if that ever happens). Titan's success will determine the length of development time allotted for WoW2.
    ^ I couldn't agree more

Deleted
    I can see "WoW 2" coming out when VR technology gets to the point of being actually VR and becoming mainstream, and current WoW not supporting it.

If you compare vanilla wow to WoD , for someone who doesnt follow the game at all it looks like a completely different game. Each expansion is the sequel really.

I really don't get this. They are just about to release WoW 6 -- WoW two was done, like, most of ten years ago now. If what you mean is "throw away everything they have and build from scratch", in terms of the graphics engine, etc, then you are unlikely to see it, as incremental improvements are working to bring in the benefits without the same risk that building something new brings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    I really don't get this. They are just about to release WoW 6 -- WoW two was done, like, most of ten years ago now. If what you mean is "throw away everything they have and build from scratch", in terms of the graphics engine, etc, then you are unlikely to see it, as incremental improvements are working to bring in the benefits without the same risk that building something new brings.
    I'm sure the risk would pay off if i'm honest, in the end of cata/beginning of MoP there has been a serious sub drop...

Deleted
    Can people stop saying that WoD is going to be like a whole new game. A few gameplay tweaks, some new content and a few graphical improvements a new game does not make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    I can see "WoW 2" coming out when VR technology gets to the point of being actually VR and becoming mainstream, and current WoW not supporting it.
    WoW could probably be adapted for Oculus, but I don't see how pixels staring you in the face are worthy of the trouble.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post

God help the people who start playing WoW with good VR. Might as well just send diapers and a fleshlight too. A new era of addiction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Can people stop saying that WoD is going to be like a whole new game. A few gameplay tweaks, some new content and a few graphical improvements a new game does not make.
    While it's not a new game, you're really underestimating it. HUGE gameplay changes/improvements, not a few. Lots of new content and huge changes to models and graphics, again, not just "a few". There hasn't ever been more drastic changes coming all at once in the history of the game. Not even close.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

With expansions "expanding" the timeline of World of Warcraft, I don't see a sequel (part 2) being an option. A prequel, on the other hand, is a possibility... however a prequel cannot expand beyond the timeline of the original World of Warcraft game (obviously).

The main question to ask is what would be different about World of Warcraft 2 compared to the current model of creating expansions with new content? The history for Warcraft is already written in stone (up to this point), so re-creating "World of Warcraft" with a completely different history would be extremely confusing. I do not see Blizzard making a sequel to WoW, or a re-write to WoW -- there's no point when they can continue building off an already built world, keep selling expansions for the same cost as a launch title, and still keep reaping sub fees.

Would updating the engine and being able to import your toons into it work for everyone?
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard decided they would rather just update the game over several expansions than come out with a sequel.

This is why the models are being updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    I consider Warlords of Draenor to be "WoW 2"
    I know this thread is over a week old but having reviewed the amount of stuff they're changing, which in many cases is foundational stuff: new character models, the squish, new raiding model, new questing model, removing abilities, and most importantly the ability for a new player to begin the game at 90 with WoD content, I think that might be right. In any case, it makes WoD less of an expansion and more of a self-contained game. Not quite a stand-alone since you will need to buy the original but in play mechanics, not much different from a stand-alone either.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

WOD looks a whole lot better than what MOP produced.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome one View Post
    I'm sure the risk would pay off if i'm honest, in the end of cata/beginning of MoP there has been a serious sub drop...
    Wait, you are saying that revamping things like old world, and talents, radically caused a serious sub drop, therefore revamping *everything* would cause the reverse? Because, seriously, I don't find that exactly logically compelling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    I don't even understand you. You said these words in English, but they don't make any sense.

Because, uh, I don't know about you but I played Quake, and then Quake 2, and then Quake 3. Guess what the differences between them were? A few gameplay tweaks, some new content, and a graphical improvement.

Also, Neverwinter Nights one and two. Also, Call of Duty, also, Half Life, also Portal, also Civ, also, well, uh, honestly? Also pretty much every damn sequel out there. The amount of improvement in "few graphical improvements" can vary, but you can deliver the same thing incrementally in wow -- new models now and animation now, better AA, etc.

There are back-end costs to these decisions, to do with programming and code, just like there are back-end costs to the decision to rewrite from scratch. None of those really change the basic model: a sequel is something that is similar to the previous game in the series, only with some gameplay tweaks, some new content, and some graphical improvements.

Maybe in 10-15 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    From a development standpoint, WoW 2.0 doesn't make any sense. Blizzard would only cannibalize subs from WoW 1.0, not bring in new players to the game.