Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Angry Spec pruning: Blood DK (gone)

• Death Knight
    •Blood Boil has been removed.
    •Blood Parasite has been removed.
    •Rune of the Nerubian Carapace has been removed.
    •Rune Strike has been removed

Let me start off by saying: Why are we losing iconic abilities here? Blood Boil fits way better in a Blood DK kit than Pestilence, which is more of an Unholy ability. Blood Parasites are gone, whereas they provided that fun bit of uncontrolled healing that could either save your life or be of no use at all (some random mechanics are good, Blizz...). And Rune Strike is gone, instead we get Death Coil. So yet another attack (which feels good in the MoP rotation) gets removed to make place for an Unholy ability. Appearantly we'll be using Unholy tanks soon... Ok, that's going too far, but my point is clear. Don't remove key abilities from Blood.

What was wrong with the ability replacement? We could get Rune Strike instead of Death Coil, have the effects of Pestilence included in Blood Boil for Blood spec only (and Pestilence then unavailable for them) and just nerf the Parasites (if you think they desperately need that).

Blood boil vs pestilence: its entirely a personal preference if one feels that pestilence is better for the function of spreading dots and doing aoe damage or if blood boil is suited better. Either way, you can't please everyone. I am in the group who feels pestilence is better.

Blood parasites are removed for raid utility reasons. Its my hope that they become more of a personal thing like they were in wotlk but either way, brewmaster's are losing their passive raid heal as well. As much as I care about losing some of the least significant utility we bring along with the tiniest model in raiding, I really won't lose sleep over this one.

Rune Strike being removed is a buff in every way because not only do they cost the same, but death coil is ranged.

What is wrong with ability replacement? Nothing, but your suggestion isn't replacement. Your suggestion is changing abilities to better fit a theme without actually changing gmaeplay. I would contend that this game is better when every spec does not have completely unique identity. Class identity an overlooked aspect and having abilities like Death Coil and Pestilence that work the same across specs is a good thing.

I'm really torn on the Rune Strike change. This is a buff since it's ranged but I'm kind of annoyed by the idea of standing there casting spells with my bare hands when a monster the size of a school bus is swinging at me. I much prefer the idea of hitting things with my big scary sword as my power spender. It's better but it just feels wrong to me.

Blood parasites were functionally worthless. I did like knowing they were around and having them follow me between mobs though. I kind of wish they had done something with them rather than just give them the axe. I'm not super offended but I kind of hope they return as a glyph or something.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    but I'm kind of annoyed by the idea of standing there casting spells with my bare hands when a monster the size of a school bus is swinging at me. I much prefer the idea of hitting things with my big scary sword as my power spender.

Maybe you should play warrior or paladin? Spellcasting always was the one thing about death knights in lore. If anything I was disappointed that I was a glorified warrior as a DK tank.

Not sure if Death Coi's ranged abilities will weigh up against rune strike's aggro, wonder how that will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaldin View Post
    Not sure if Death Coi's ranged abilities will weigh up against rune strike's aggro, wonder how that will work out.
    I'm certain our threat will be fine and if not, they'll make adjustments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveaux View Post
    Maybe you should play warrior or paladin? Spellcasting always was the one thing about death knights in lore. If anything I was disappointed that I was a glorified warrior as a DK tank.
    But, blood is the I hit you with my big 2h weapon spec, and as that, rune strike is a better fit thematically. Honestly it's yet again pointless prunning where instead of removing skills that are rarely used and/or don't fit super well thematically (blood strike, icy touch, plague strike, death gate, empower rune weapon) they remove skills that do work and fit well thematically, I agree that they should merge pestilence and blood boil, but I feel that blood boil is the more DK of the two skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    I would contend that this game is better when every spec does not have completely unique identity.
    I would content that this game is better when every spec isn't essentially the same; save for spells having different names/animations, depending on class. I'd go further and claim homogenization has been a net negative.

Not at all sad it's gone. I am already used to the idea of Arthas throwing Death Coil around since WC3 while he melee mobs. Always hated blood parasite so again not sad at all it's gone. I like blood boil though

I have to say BB felt weak compared to HS, I'm glad it's gone.
    Death Coil, while I like the added range I think Rune Strike is better for us.. Even though the way the ability will work fits DC better now.
    I just hope that the DS changes don't make the spec feel totally different, though I have a feeling it will and because of this will probably be re-rolling in WoD
    Blood Parasites, I barely see so I won't miss them. Chances are I was stepping on mine anyway cuz I like to wiggle strafe when I tank.

Yeah.. I'm sad about these changes, I get why they're being made but a lot of the reasons I play my Blood DK are the things changing :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Rune Strike but I'm not upset with the death coil change, it's pretty much a buff due to range. I still use death coil to pull & generate aggro on distant targets and I'm ok with it to be the only option. With hit/exp changes rune strike became more pointless.

But I'm not sure with Blood Boil changes. I mean I hope there will be some initial damage and threat for pestilence because I don't want aoe aggro to suck.

And I'm confused with Blood Parasite removal. Ability pruning seems to be aimed to clear some keybinds and active buttons, why they remove a cool passive ability I don't know.

And being a DK rather than a Warrior is to be a heavy armored necromancer, so I must say I'm glad we'll use more spells such as death coil.
    Last edited by Müdür; 2014-04-24 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveaux View Post
    All I said was that I don't like Death Coil replacing Rune Strike thematically. There's absolutely no need to tell me to reroll because you don't agree.

Also, no magic? Really? The magical enchanted weapon that you animate and have fight for you? Deathgrip? Raise Ally? Chains of Ice? Strangulate? Control Undead? Dark Simulacrum?

I guess I can see that if you just spam things with Strike in the name.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    But, blood is the I hit you with my big 2h weapon spec, and as that, rune strike is a better fit thematically. Honestly it's yet again pointless prunning where instead of removing skills that are rarely used and/or don't fit super well thematically (blood strike, icy touch, plague strike, death gate, empower rune weapon) they remove skills that do work and fit well thematically, I agree that they should merge pestilence and blood boil, but I feel that blood boil is the more DK of the two skills.
    I don't get what the problem is here. The new incarnation of pestilence is actually more powerful than the current version and blood boil combined as it gives you the effects of both without having to sacrifice a talent for your troubles. Does it really matter that much that they went for Pestilence over bloodboil?

Rune Strike never felt rune-y, it's just an extra melee swing. I'm glad to see it gone.

Pestilence and Death Coil are far more iconic of DKs than Blood Boil and melee attack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathnander View Post
    • Death Knight
    •Blood Boil has been removed.
    •Blood Parasite has been removed.
    •Rune of the Nerubian Carapace has been removed.
    •Rune Strike has been removed

Let me start off by saying: Why are we losing iconic abilities here? Blood Boil fits way better in a Blood DK kit than Pestilence, which is more of an Unholy ability. Blood Parasites are gone, whereas they provided that fun bit of uncontrolled healing that could either save your life or be of no use at all (some random mechanics are good, Blizz...). And Rune Strike is gone, instead we get Death Coil. So yet another attack (which feels good in the MoP rotation) gets removed to make place for an Unholy ability. Appearantly we'll be using Unholy tanks soon... Ok, that's going too far, but my point is clear. Don't remove key abilities from Blood.

What was wrong with the ability replacement? We could get Rune Strike instead of Death Coil, have the effects of Pestilence included in Blood Boil for Blood spec only (and Pestilence then unavailable for them) and just nerf the Parasites (if you think they desperately need that).
    I like the changes tbh.

DC is just better Runic Strike since it's ranged, same cost now and cannot be dodged/parried either way.

I hoped long time for having BB and RB rolled into Pestilence. Now it's happening.

We lose Glyph of outbreak which for DK is simply fantastic but we can get plaguebearer talent and have the same with Death Coil.

The thing I DO NOT like is removing Blood Parasite. It will change who we are, our self healing that is iconic to us and to some degree ability to solo old content. I liked my worms ;p

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Müdür View Post
    I liked Rune Strike but I'm not upset with the death coil change, it's pretty much a buff due to range. I still use death coil to pull & generate aggro on distant targets and I'm ok with it to be the only option. With hit/exp changes rune strike became more pointless.

But I'm not sure with Blood Boil changes. I mean I hope there will be some initial damage and threat for pestilence because I don't want aoe aggro to suck.

And I'm confused with Blood Parasite removal. Ability pruning seems to be aimed to clear some keybinds and active buttons, why they remove a cool passive ability I don't know.

And being a DK rather than a Warrior is to be a heavy armored necromancer, so I must say I'm glad we'll use more spells such as death coil.

They remove parasite because they want healers to heal, tanks to tank and dd to dps. Sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormhelm View Post
    I don't get what the problem is here. The new incarnation of pestilence is actually more powerful than the current version and blood boil combined as it gives you the effects of both without having to sacrifice a talent for your troubles. Does it really matter that much that they went for Pestilence over bloodboil?
    I just feel they should of tacked on pestilence to blood boil not the other way around, I don't think Pestilence feels like how a DK should feel, it's too understated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    All I said was that I don't like Death Coil replacing Rune Strike thematically. There's absolutely no need to tell me to reroll because you don't agree.

Also, no magic? Really? The magical enchanted weapon that you animate and have fight for you? Deathgrip? Raise Ally? Chains of Ice? Strangulate? Control Undead? Dark Simulacrum?

I guess I can see that if you just spam things with Strike in the name.
    Neither of the called abilities find much use in blood PVE. You mainly do death strike, heart strike, runestrike, outbreak, blood boil + cooldowns. Sure you do sacrifice a ghoul and lay down a death and decay here and there, but still 80% of the 'rotational' abilities are either simply melee or physical spells like bloodboil.

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack
    But, blood is the I hit you with my big 2h weapon spec, and as that, rune strike is a better fit thematically.
    Deathstrike and Heartstrike lets you hit things with your big sword already, no?

I was a bit :O when I read no more Blood Boil. Then again, the talent tree has rendered Pestilence redundant with it. I think it was pretty obvious Rolling Blood was going to go baseline.

I dunno, maybe I'd like it more if Pestilence spread diseases baseline but as blood it does damage, or more damage, or something, and it transforms into BB. Basically just to keep the name and icon.

Good riddance to rune strike though, it's like a shitter version of Death Coil.

Also no more blood parasite = no more BS like getting MCed on Kael'thas or fucking up an invis run in CMs :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

This is a really good move from Blizzard's behalf. We finally get some unecessary abilities purged. Blood boil and Pestilience almost did the same thing, cost the same etc and they just went with one of thoose. Death coil replaces rune strike? I welcome that alot, not is Death coil such a iconic ability for DK's, but mechanic wise a buff, from RS being melee to DC being ranged.. Good move.

As for the runes, i have to be honest and say I never use Rune of the Nerubian Carapace anyway for any speccs.

Mixed feelings about blood worms thou. Questing while leveling as blood, pulling 8-9 mobs and see thoose worms spawns just makes you happy and encourage you to pull more.

Deleted
    Great changes imo.

Rolling blood needed to go baseline, glad it has.

Parasites always have been awkward, hitting what they shouldn't , overhealing, & getting us MCed soloing. Always preferred mark of blood over these, hope we get it back one day.

Coil I am happy about, it always has been a good way to get an aggro tap on adds running past me, plus its just iconic.