Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What do Rogues bring for a raid?

Recently I've been curious, what do Rogues bring to a raid aside from their DPS? From what I've seen throughout this current raid, it seems that ranged is more heavily favored over melee in terms of DPS and if Rogues (mostly combat) weren't doing good damage would anyone even bring them to begin with?

Smoke bomb... o>o

10+ Year Old Account
    The big ones:

http://www.wowdb.com/spells/93068-master-poisoner
    http://www.wowdb.com/spells/113742-swiftblades-cunning

Also:

http://www.wowdb.com/spells/8680-wound-poison
    http://www.wowdb.com/spells/5760-mind-numbing-poison
    http://www.wowdb.com/spells/8647-expose-armor

Useful:
    http://www.wowdb.com/spells/76577-sm...ells/1766-kick
    http://www.wowdb.com/spells/5938-shiv

All of those are highly useful if your raid doesn't already have someone covering it.

No one single class brings anything totally unique and mandatory; it's about taking the classes that fill in what you need for comp. Ranged might be favoured, but if you have all ranged, you probably want a melee for balance. If you have all melee already, then you probably don't want a rogue.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Smoke Bomb.
    Great survivability that lets them do things more effectively than other classes - Siegecrafter belts, Paragons Aim soaking, Garrosh Malice soaking just to name few examples.

TL;DR bring a lot of rogues.
    Shaman - Hunter - Monk - Druid - Warlock - DK - another Shaman - one more Shaman

Yeah but smoke bomb is getting nerfed in WoD. If it is a heavily favored range class, there won't be a need for melee haste. Lots of other classes have interrupts. I would like to see them bring back boss encounters that require more CC so that Rogues may be more useful and popular.

Smoke bomb, man, smoke bomb. The sheer amount of gratitude when you have 3-4 rogues on thok and you get 3-4 20% dmg reduction phases one by one is worth playing this class.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smoke Bomb will remain a raid cooldown that works on all types of damage - quite rare for damage dealer. Also, with high end raiding being 20 man, you won't have "1 melee 4 ranged" comps, thus melee haste will be far from useless.

Also, ranged classes are getting their mobility reduced, thus making meelee more attractive option in some fights. But I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part and not conveniently "forgeting" about it for the sake of your argument.

There is no melee haste anymore, just haste. They've already said melee and ranged will be more balanced next xpac with better mechanics. You people need to learn to read instead of coming here and mouthing off like you know what you are talking about.

also rogues take the least damage out of any dps/healer class in the game if they know what they are doing.

Strong survivability
    Strong control
    infinite 70% sprint
    smokebomb
    Tricks of the Trade

The only ranged I would take over a rogue is an equally skilled warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Remery View Post
    Yeah but smoke bomb is getting nerfed in WoD. If it is a heavily favored range class, there won't be a need for melee haste. Lots of other classes have interrupts. I would like to see them bring back boss encounters that require more CC so that Rogues may be more useful and popular.
    Swiftblade's Cunning will be changed to a straight haste buff rather than a melee haste buff. Also, rogues suck at mid-combat CC aside from a super OP stun which only works if your other raiders can keep their fingers off of their stun buttons and not DR the mobs, and even then you sacrifice damage and have to be combat to do it so you might as well have someone with a free stun do it.

Rogues have probably the best survivability of all melee classes, and perhaps all DPS in general. They get to cheese a lot of mechanics.

They can vanish and res me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    also rogues take the least damage out of any dps/healer class in the game if they know what they are doing.
    Been playing a rogue since Vanilla. This is ABSOLUTELY true. Squishy rogues are nooby rogues. Even when we wipe I vanish.

Yeah but smoke bomb is getting nerfed in WoD.
    As a Hunter, If you don't want Smokebomb I would be more than happy to take it from you.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Smoke Bomb will remain a raid cooldown that works on all types of damage - quite rare for damage dealer. Also, with high end raiding being 20 man, you won't have "1 melee 4 ranged" comps, thus melee haste will be far from useless.

Also, ranged classes are getting their mobility reduced, thus making meelee more attractive option in some fights. But I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part and not conveniently "forgeting" about it for the sake of your argument.
    Melee haste is going away from WoD. It's all going to be haste; melee, ranged, spell, etc.

Deleted
    like any other defensive aoe cd from dps pov for example banners from warrior tranquility for feral and boomkin

Most raid CDs (the ones on DPS) are getting nerfed, so rogues will maintain parity. Other people have mentioned the haste changes. Melee, in general, have the most interrupts and are usually a boon to any interrupt fight - rogues are no exception to this and are perfectly viable as one of those chosen melee.

Rogues are useful/viable now. Melee in general is slightly disfavored, but that is not specific to rogues and has more to do with current ranged dps design (which is changing). Rogues also have a whole lot of survivability (probably the most of any melee) and are very good at soaking mechanics with immunities to trivialize them and nice cleave as combat. Raids at lower ilvls don't take advantage of melee's and Rogue's strengths in these areas, which leads to the perception that melee are terrible compared to ranged, which isn't really true.
    Last edited by Yakrion; 2014-04-26 at 06:40 AM.

Likely the highest defensive abilities of any melee. Including the ability to cheese many mechanics.

One of the highest mobility.

Depending on spec, only class which uses daggers which helps in raid gearing.

Deleted
    besides smoke bomb and great survivability?

-Answer - just like what mages and hunters bring. jack shit besides dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    No one single class brings anything totally unique
    warlock