Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Crucial Garrison Functions

Hello there,

as a long time WoW player, there are a few functions I would love for Garrisons to have.

First of, the "Guest book".
    Battletags of friends can be entered here and will allow players to visit your Garrison at any given time as long as their battletag remains in the Guest Book. The problem of entering your own and a friend's Garrison can easily be solved by adding a tiny menu. This menu could be summoned by right clicking your own Avatar and it would say "Garrison:" and then drop down the names of your own and your friends' garrisons that you are registered for through their guest book.

The Guild Garrison
    Not only does the Guest Book function already lead to the next bigger picture, but it also leads to an easy jump to include guild members in to the list. Meaning, if someone decides to add their guild to their Garrison, the whole guild will be able to enter it as long as they are in the guild, offering an easier access method than through entering Battletags by hand.

Outdoor Customization
    Instead of only having the choice of where to place a tower on which plot, give players to move small things, may it be statues, flower pots or even benches to some locations that do not interfere with NPC walkpaths.

Extended Outdoor Customization
    Optional land plots (size small to medium maximum) would be perfect to have things such as a small inn or maybe even a statue of Malorne if that tickles your fancy. Or maybe just a hut with a big ol' bonfire in the middle and a bench around. You know, RP stuff. Or maybe a fountain here and there, its gotta look pretty, even in times of war, right? Its out Garrison after all. Maybe you have a dummy range where your Instance-NPC's train and you can test your own DPS. Lots of potential.

Exchange of colours
    As I am thinking about the garrison, I am thinking a bit of stormwind, ogrimmar. Flags everywhere. Give the players the ability to choose their own flags. I mean with that. A troll player could choose to have Sen'jin flags and Horde flags mixed. Or a Gnome player could have the place have all the alliance flags exchanged with Gnomeregan flags. You get the idea, make it possible for players to replace graphics a bit that are very easy to replace, one of many examples: flags, tabards on NPC's, etc.

This does however not stop there. Maybe players should have the choice in the colour of their buildings' roofs and maybe even the colour / structure or style of certain things, such as the streetbricks etc. Idea by Narbootz

Non pet battle pets
    Quite easily described as creatures that you happen to find in the wilds, anywhere in Draenor or maybe even Azeroth and bring back to your Garrison. They could have interactions with other pets, chase them around, interact with certain followers and maybe even have their own little gimmicks here and there such as finding flowers for you to place and plant in certain areas, or maybe they'll just bring back something that could be moderately useful every few days. Anything goes here basically, a bit opportunity to personalize the Garrison and give it even more of a "this is my place"-stamp. Summed up from Diaskeaus' post.

Emblems
    The idea is basic. Instead of entirely changing the flag from Alliance to Exodar for example, the Emblem concept would let you choose from the guild emblems and apply them to the tabards / banners, etc in the garrison. Idea by Mysticx

Cosmetical item drops
    As simple as it sounds. Item drops from virtually anywhere that are themed after an instance or certain encounter that can be acquired by re-doing the old or doing the new things. (For example like the Sha goo-pet from SoO and the imp from molten core) Or like Trophies you can hang on a wall (think Terraria). Idea by Bigthumbb

The Arena
    The Mists of Pandaria Proving Grounds Arena was very imposing, however far away. it would be very nice if we could have our own secret underground arena right under our garrison. Why under? Well, this is to avoid having that huge building in the way after the player reacher gold in all places. Idea by Zeror

The Pawnshop
    So the owner of the Garrison had a lot of stuff she/he certainly wanted to get rid off. However, instead of just getting those 2 gold coins for the expensive ore that you find on the AH for 9001G per stack, you visit your friend's pawnshop for his price at his conditions. This is a shop, much like the black market, where the NPC sells the things and the Garrison owner can give the NPC the things he wants to sell. At the end of every week, the pawnshop sends a mail of summed up sales to the Garrison Owner. Idea by Zeror

Hope this sparked your interest, I may add more ideas as they come to mind and I would love to add community ideas to this "list"
    Last edited by Lillyth; 2014-05-01 at 02:38 PM.

Personally, I think these are great ideas, more immersion , more everything. Customization is what we'd like
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

Quote Originally Posted by redwitchy View Post
    Personally, I think these are great ideas, more immersion , more everything. Customization is what we'd like
    I know right? :3 Got some ideas of your own? I could even imagine being able to move paintings inside some buildings. But I dont know how far the WoW engine can take that.

I love the idea of being able to find assets you could place in various areas around your garrison, just to give it personal flavor in the outdoor areas. Things like tables made of bones, floating lanterns, clickable areas that light up or have a special animation associated with them, like if you sit on it a little candle flickers on, animals you could find in the wild like dogs, wolf cubs, or even little dinosaurs that aren't battle pets but you could let them run around your garrison just for fun who might interact with certain followers or even do funny little things like cough fireballs on random buildings or chase each other. Being able to find flowers on distant mountains and plant them in grass plots, or even being able to put up random flavor structures that don't do anything like gazebos, paper boat ponds. Would be great if you could find stuff elsewhere in the world as drops from rares that you could bring back to your garrison. Being able to tie garrisons in with Pandaria, Northrend, even Outland, like finding items and being able to repurpose them to go in your garrison would be pretty cool.

I agree on many levels with you, diaskeaus, lets hope Garrisons play out as well as I hope they will. It is a feature I would love to keep.

Guild Garrison is probably a bad idea, even though it sounds cool at first.

Whats the point of anyone ever being in a city ultimately. if everyone just hangs out in guild garrisons. They'll be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Guild Garrison is probably a bad idea, even though it sounds cool at first.

Whats the point of anyone ever being in a city ultimately. if everyone just hangs out in guild garrisons. They'll be dead.
    A city has many aspects other than what a Guild Garrison can offer. But I see where you are coming from. I am sure the Auction house, trainers etc will be kept towards the big cities and ultimately quests and professions as well. Though even if the guild feature is not considered, I think a Guest Book function would be great to at least keep it open among your friends without having to invite to group every single time.

These ideas are good, but remember the concept is still young. The Farm was a test of the very basic concept and functionality, Garrisons is likely just Step 2 on a long road towards what you're asking for.

In time, these changes will come, I'm sure.

Hey Diaskeaus, I summed up your pet idea and added it to the list. Do you like the phrasing?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    These ideas are good, but remember the concept is still young. The Farm was a test of the very basic concept and functionality, Garrisons is likely just Step 2 on a long road towards what you're asking for.

In time, these changes will come, I'm sure.
    I hope it is one of many stepping stones. And not just the last one! The Garrison seems like such a nice concept, we had our own lil place in Pandaria, and I liked that a lot, even if its just for cooking and such, I liked it! Lets hope they improve the Garrison throughout the patches and maybe offer something at the end for the Garrison. Really having high hopes for it, especially for future expansions.

- - - Updated - - -

Going to add some more tomorrow. I have a few ideas that I am yet to flesh out that I believe the Garrison could use without changing it too much.

That sounds more like a new game than an addition to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That sounds more like a new game than an addition to WoW.
    Its basically just exchanging some models and items, nothing all that big o.o But the Garrison brings a lot of new features that will hopefully make WoD even more interesting than it already is.

To expand on the banner idea, i'd like to be able to choose a garrison emblem, just use the guild emblem options (Plenty of choice in those), and once you choose a garrison emblem, it will appear on banners on the garrison walls/buildings as well as having all your followers (Where body-shape allows tabards anyway) wear tabards with that emblem too (nothing says "follower" as job uniforms :P ), and also make a slightly fancier version for the player too (A bit like how there are 3 guild tabard looks)

Good Idea, mysticx :3 I'll add it later!

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be good if they incorporated things like what Aion has, When you kill certain bosses/Do certain achievements you get rewarded with trophies, which you can display in your garrison, That would be pretty cool IMO.

If we do get to place training dummies, I hope we get all buffs/debuffs on them. Super annoying going to dummies and testing out something and knowing even in a high movement fight, you will do more DPS than you will Patchwerking the dummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He's telling you upfront what's going to take. It's not ninja looting. It's pirate looting! YAARRRR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I think it would be good if they incorporated things like what Aion has, When you kill certain bosses/Do certain achievements you get rewarded with trophies, which you can display in your garrison, That would be pretty cool IMO.
    I like this idea. And to add to it (I don't know how it's done in Aion), it would be cool if those trophies were little mementos from the specific boss you've defeated, ie a tooth from Onyxia, or a shard of unmeltable ice from the frozen throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthumbb View Post
    I like this idea. And to add to it (I don't know how it's done in Aion), it would be cool if those trophies were little mementos from the specific boss you've defeated, ie a tooth from Onyxia, or a shard of unmeltable ice from the frozen throne.
    I dislike to nag (I like the idea, dont worry!) but the Frozen throne's ice does not melt, at least not the initial ice prison Ner'zhul's soul was bound in, not sure if the rest of it is just ice and snow that arthas sat on or if the crystals were actually still there, did not look like it. But yeah. I think blizzard talked about trophies already for the Garrison at Blizzcon a bit, but not too much.

From what I read from Wowhead a few weeks back, there were several pieces of data relevant to Garrisons and trophies. Specifically, in several lines research specimens acquired for Hemet Nesingwary would be transferred to your garrison, so it stands to reason that certain trophies will be acquired via quest chains in WoD.

With that said, I certainly like the idea of guild garrisons for future developments and socialization features for WoD garrisons.
    Behold my unintentional Thread Necromancy.

Deleted
    Maybe they could use customisational items as drops for LFR to get people to keep running it. One week you might get a red bench drop, the next a specific plant or ornament etc.

Nothing here that isn't reasonable. Honestly, Garrisons can only get better over time with Blizzard adding things such as those you suggested. Hopefully the feature doesn't get abandoned and left in the dust when the next expansion comes around.
    Check out my expansion concept, World of Warcraft: Whispers of Madness
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Brittle Bones now has a 50% chance to turn the target into a purple-wearing supervillain.