Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Varian: "And we have Warlocks!"

I hope my fellow Warlocks read War Crimes, there's an awesome scene with Varian towards the end (Not really a spoiler here since it gives really nothing away) where he tells a worried Pandaren not to worry, because they have our kind there to help in the fight. As someone whose Warlock has been around for 9 years, it made me squee like a fanboy when that scene occurred.

Putting here, instead of the lore forum, because it really isn't a lore discussion. I just kind of like how the factions (the Alliance in particular) are giving Warlocks their just due. Its actually a common practice for Varian, he mentions Warlocks in a positive light in two other books as well (Wolfheart and Tides of War).

Warlock Pride!
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-05-09 at 07:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's some Alliance Warlock action in the initial sea battle in Bladefist Bay in Tides of War too, moments before the Kraken show up, and some mention of them in the battle for Theramore before it's nuked - bit of a theme there, they only seem to get any mention moments before getting killed on mass :\ It's a point I raised with Xelnath before he left Blizzard that we never see them in game, he noted it was a good point but we've still seen nothing of them this expansion either. Next expansion has already been said to be Shamanism themed, on a planet where Warlock magic hasn't really taken hold beyond Gul'dan, and well away from the regular forces of both factions, so I can't see any real justification to bring them in there either.

Guess we'll just have to be happy with what passing mentions we get in books.

It still feels wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    There's some Alliance Warlock action in the initial sea battle in Bladefist Bay in Tides of War too, moments before the Kraken show up, and some mention of them in the battle for Theramore before it's nuked - bit of a theme there, they only seem to get any mention moments before getting killed on mass :\ It's a point I raised with Xelnath before he left Blizzard that we never see them in game, he noted it was a good point but we've still seen nothing of them this expansion either. Next expansion has already been said to be Shamanism themed, on a planet where Warlock magic hasn't really taken hold beyond Gul'dan, and well away from the regular forces of both factions, so I can't see any real justification to bring them in there either.

Guess we'll just have to be happy with what passing mentions we get in books.
    Wha? Take my word for it, that isn't the case for War Crimes. A Felguard actually saves Varian's life and then insults him to his face. Its pretty awesome.

Also we're getting quite a bit of screentime with Gul'dan, so...

I want to know whom this white haired, young faced, female, human warlock is that's appeared in Tides of War and War Crimes. Varian's seen her twice in combat. In Tides, she uses her Eye of Kilrogg to scout the fog as the fleet approaches and her felguard goes toe to toe with Garrosh (sadly losing). But her death is never confirmed despite the ship sinking--and since Varian survived it is quite likely she survived. Then, in the chaos of the attack on Garrosh's trial, a warlock of a similar description--likely the same woman--summons a Felhunter, absentmindedly saying "good puppy", her Felguard later saves Varian, as mentioned above, and she gives him a wink in reply to his gratitude.

Needless to say, she's a talented warlock and I want to see her get named, perhaps even have some story. She's apparently involved in Alliance matters, such as the Garrosh's trial and the fleet attack on Bladefist Bay in Tides. It would not be a stretch to see her involved in the campaign against the Iron Horde as a fellow combatant. We really need some warlock figures in this game who are actually doing something besides brooding in the basement of the Slaughtered Lamb (or in the Horde's case, hanging from spikes in the Cleft of Shadows). I'm not asking for some great hero, but perhaps just a rising lore figure whom can represent warlocks since we players can only represent our class as a side note. Think Sky Captain Rogers-level of lore attention, but a warlock with a passionate hatred for the Horde instead of a captain.
    Last edited by Heliolord; 2014-05-13 at 07:04 AM.

Perhaps Christie Golden plays a human warlock? And perhaps said warlock has white hair?

Quote Originally Posted by crosera View Post
    Perhaps Christie Golden plays a human warlock? And perhaps said warlock has white hair?
    Perhaps, but I want to see this figure in game. We need some representation in lore. So far, the two most notable warlocks have been Guldan and Kanrethad (excluding Legion warlocks). I'd like to see a warlock figure who is not wholly, destructively evil (Guldan) or driven mad by power (Kanrethad).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliolord View Post
    Perhaps, but I want to see this figure in game. We need some representation in lore. So far, the two most notable warlocks have been Guldan and Kanrethad (excluding Legion warlocks). I'd like to see a warlock figure who is not wholly, destructively evil (Guldan) or driven mad by power (Kanrethad).
    I'm sure a lot of people feel the same about their class.

Quote Originally Posted by crosera View Post
    I was thinking the exact same heh. more on topic though as a long time warlock player I also loved seeing warlocks being shown in service to the "greater good" as it were instead of only seeing the end result of nearly every warlocks life style.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do remember that chapter in Tides of War.... I kinda silently pictured my warlock as one of the ones fighting....

I always thought the appeal of warlocks was the dark and forbidden knowledge and power. It just seems wrong for them to be open and accepted by Varian.

Especially being out in the open in a place with all the faction leaders present, including Velen and Tyrande who both have very valid reasons to hate fel magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    poor warlocks...

their entire identity in the Alliance is being social outcasts for the sake of power

now Christie Golden has taken their identity the same way she took the Dragons identity
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Major Class Characters:

Shaman: Thrall, Nobundo
    Death Knight: Darion, Thassarian, Koltira Deathweaver (though he's been missing since Cataclysm and we haven't really heard of much DK activity since Northrend and the battles at the Western Plaguelands).
    Druid: Malfurion, Hamuul
    Warrior: Varian, Garrosh, among others
    Paladin: Uther, Liadrin, Fordragon, Fordring, among others
    Hunter: Tyrathen Khort (a major character from Shadows of the Horde), Rexxar, Sylvannas?, Tyrande?
    Monk: Ji Firepaw, Aysa Cloudsinger
    Priest: Anduin, Velen, Tyrande ... I can't think of a Horde representative.
    Rogue: Matthias Shaw, Valeera, Garona
    Mage: Jaina, Aethas Sunreaver, Rommath

Warlock: ... the guys in our starting areas/class trainers?, maybe the other members of the Black Harvest--but we haven't seen anything of them and don't know much about them. Aside from Death Knights and Warlocks, all the other classes have at least some significant represented lore figures on each side which have at least gotten some mention in novels/stories or played a role at some point in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wouldnt really call Ji and Aysa major monk characters

considering if you roll as any other race than Pandaren you might not even be aware of their existence until SoO
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Major Class Characters:

Death Knight: Darion, Thassarian, Koltira Deathweaver (though he's been missing since Cataclysm and we haven't really heard of much DK activity since Northrend and the battles at the Western Plaguelands).
    Hunter: Tyrathen Khort (a major character from Shadows of the Horde), Rexxar, Sylvannas?, Tyrande?

Warlock: ... the guys in our starting areas/class trainers?, maybe the other members of the Black Harvest--but we haven't seen anything of them and don't know much about them. Aside from Death Knights and Warlocks, all the other classes have at least some significant represented lore figures on each side which have at least gotten some mention in novels/stories or played a role at some point in game.
    You listed dead people for some of the classes which means Gul'dan and Nerzhul would be fair game for warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    You listed dead people for some of the classes which means Gul'dan and Nerzhul would be fair game for warlocks.
    Their life/death was less relevant than their status as heroes, or at least non-villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    I do remember that chapter in Tides of War.... I kinda silently pictured my warlock as one of the ones fighting....
    I definitely pictured my warlock in War Crimes yelling "Phuughun, here boy! Go get the ball." and sending my Felhunter off to eat the mana bomb grenades that Thalen Songweaver was throwing into the crowds.

I always thought the appeal of warlocks was the dark and forbidden knowledge and power. It just seems wrong for them to be open and accepted by Varian.

Especially being out in the open in a place with all the faction leaders present, including Velen and Tyrande who both have very valid reasons to hate fel magic.
    Varian seems like the kind of dude who would be ok with warlocks right up until the moment they go to far and then he would be the first to put one down.and as far as I know(correct me if I am wrong more lore minded folks) the kind of warlocks willing to be out and about in the open like that are more the fight fire with fire than the delving into darkness and mayhem types.

Major Class Characters:

This is because warlocks are generally outcasts and you are only counting members of the factions themselves.
    You have extremely important warlock characters, like Gul'dan, and the vast majority of the Eredar.

10+ Year Old Account
    was Ner'zhul a warlock? i thought he stopped being KJ's pawn right before actually going full warlock

unless blizzard have said he is in WoD

Major Class Characters:

Well warlocks do have some very big players that have been in game. Archimonde and Kil'jaeden for starters. The eredar having been considered the 'first' warlocks. We then have Gul'dan coming in the next expansion.