Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    When the ocean goes up the New York will be under water, glorious times are awaiting us.

Ahhhh colorado, my future home surrounded by the oceans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You're right. You'll be dead before the effects of this become apparent enough for you to notice, and since you have no children, nor will you ever have children, nor do you have (nor will you ever have) any nieces or nephews you give a shit about, you've got absolutely nothing to worry about.
    I was being facetious, i don't want it to happen really. Yeah, the future generations have a load of shit from the generations before including ours. We've got to start doing something.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You're right. You'll be dead before the effects of this become apparent enough for you to notice, and since you have no children, nor will you ever have children, nor do you have (nor will you ever have) any nieces or nephews you give a shit about, you've got absolutely nothing to worry about.
    Actually...there is a rather large glacier in Antarctica that would slide into the ocean quite suddenly, if not for an underwater ridge holding it in place. Now, that ridge might hold for another 100k years, or it might break tomorrow. In which case the water level in the world oceans will rise by about 10 feet.

So, we might not be dead by the time the water starts to come into the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    And we already do that, so what is your point?

Do you honestly believe that talking about the end of the world will make anybody here leave his car at home? Get real.
    You would be surprised how many people are switching from cars to bikes in some countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatlatitla View Post
    When the ocean goes up the New York will be under water, glorious times are awaiting us.
    Unlikely. It's more probable they'll do what the Netherlands does and construct an elaborate system of levies and sea walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Unlikely. It's more probable they'll do what the Netherlands does and construct an elaborate system of levies and sea walls.
    They're already doing so, iirc.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...and to imagine, we are only one good volcanic eruption away from global cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/environme...cientists-warn

Bit of a large time frame, regardless make sure you sell any beachfront property you have while the time is right.
    Has anyone in the last 46 pages of arguing bothered to actually read this (very short) article far enough to where it clearly states that the main cause is rising temperatures AT OCEAN DEPTHS. Not greenhouse effect. and even specifically states that even a dramatic reduction in greenhouse gases will have no impact on this particular phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    People do talk about ways to sequester CO2. In a variety of ways. One of the more extreme proposals out there, just as a random example, is dumping iron into the oceans.

If you don't know people talk about it, you're probably getting your information from standard news. And journalists are, across the board, terrible at reporting on science.
    I know people talk about it. I said they need to spend more time talking about it in comparison to talking about emission reduction. The majority of right-wingers hear "global warming" and instantly all they can think about is how the left wants to move humanity back into the middle ages. If the discussion was along the lines of "there's too much CO2 in the atmosphere, but we've got this new invention that will create jobs and remove some of it" they'd be far more receptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    While I keep encouraging this kind of a shift in focus myself, the technical challenges are not simple. Reducing emissions is orders of magnitude easier, even considering the difficulty in getting China on board.

It would be easier and cheaper, for instance, to give China/India easier access to nuclear power and electric vehicles (sold at below-cost, to make them a more competitive option than internal combustion engines), but people freak out about both of those, because they cost a lot of money. More than emissions reduction would cost, significantly.
    Only in the short run is it significantly cheaper. As you said, the technical challenges are not simple, but I have no doubt that our scientists have the ability to make great strides in this area and they'd do so much faster if the discussion centered around this as it'd lead to more funding going towards it. Besides which, progress in that area has side benefits. The science for taking CO2 out of our atmosphere could be applied in the future to things like terraforming Mars.

It's not just about cost but perception as well. "We're going to combat global warming with this new technology" is a far easier sell than "we're going to combat global warming by cutting back on our output."

Quote Originally Posted by Lamondo View Post
    Not greenhouse effect. and even specifically states that even a dramatic reduction in greenhouse gases will have no impact on this particular phenomenon.
    Thus the word 'inevitable' in the title?

Thus my stance that I don't care what's causing it, I want to know how it affects us and what can be done about it?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    it's really a shame that Earth is only going to last for 498 more days. So much we all could've accomplished, and now we're going to be living on the true twin of Venus in less than 2 years.

So sad.
    So in a year or so Earth is going bye bye? Are you high? I know you can't respond but man.... I am not an envirmentalist or a big science person(I suck at science so bear with me folks) but I know the Earth isn't going to die in a year. It might decay, suffer more or slowly get better or worse but it won't in one year just suddenly go pop.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Lamondo View Post
    Has anyone in the last 46 pages of arguing bothered to actually read this (very short) article far enough to where it clearly states that the main cause is rising temperatures AT OCEAN DEPTHS. Not greenhouse effect. and even specifically states that even a dramatic reduction in greenhouse gases will have no impact on this particular phenomenon.
    This is a bit like saying that car crash victims die from blood loss, and not because they got in a car crash. Simplified version:

Greenhouse effect -> trapped heat -> ocean temperatures rise.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2014-05-17 at 10:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    The loss of the entire western Antarctica ice sheet could eventually cause up to 4 metres (13ft) of sea-level rise, devastating low-lying and coastal areas around the world. But the researchers said that even though such a rise could not be stopped, it is still several centuries off, and potentially up to 1,000 years away.

Either way as u said, big time frame...

Imho Global Warming is bullshit, yeah we need to move away from Fossil fuels / energy.
    But its VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE for the human race to make such a VAST AMOUNT of pollution in the short span we have.
    Global Warming is just another fear/blame tool, along with religion - money trouble - terroism. CONTROL CONTROL >.<

Earth have had temperature swings in the past, that has been proven.
    Who's to say what is happening around the world is not just natural?.

If we really wanna get rid of pollution, MAKE THE BLOODY SOURCES REMAKE THEIR ENERGY DELIVERY METHODS.
    We have green energy for everything these days.

Did you know that green cars is getting kept AWAY because it would cost billions to remake the factorys...

Did you know that electronic and cars is made these days to break WITHIN just 3-5 years.
    Did you know that car companies biggest income is not the sale of cars ! But Car-parts.
    Even though some car companies through-out history made such great cars they bankrrupted themselves because they never sold any spare parts!
    That is to say their product was so well made, it required no repairs for a boggling amount of time.

Its all a pyramid scheme, we could have had green energy for the entire world decades ago.
    greedy bankers / politicians / big business' is partly to blame, but it is us THE PEOPLE who is most to blame... Because we dont know enough about our planets economy.
    If you want some interresting read -> Read about Nikola Tesla.

Im sure his theories could have been to better use today.

"On his deathbed, Edison said his biggest mistake had been in trying to develop direct current, rather than the superior alternating current system that Tesla had put within his grasp."

"Albert Einstein was once asked, “How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?”, he responded, “I don't know, but if you want to know you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla."
    What a ridiculous, paranoid, uneducated rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    This is a bit like saying that car crash victims die from blood loss, and not because they got in a car crash. Simplified version:

Greenhouse effect -> trapped heat -> ocean temperatures rise.
    I love it when heat trapped in the atmosphere emerges from the ocean floor via magic.

I'm still going to put it down to a combination of bear cavalry, aliens, solar flares and pole shifts, before I'd put it down to the greenhouse effect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't really matter. Would happen anyways, so what if we speed it up.

Article says it's centuries off. Just looking at the changes made w/r/t energy consumption patterns in the past two centuries leads me to believe that what we use to power our standard of living will be completely unforeseen by today's brightest minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I love it when heat trapped in the atmosphere emerges from the ocean floor via magic.

I'm still going to put it down to a combination of bear cavalry, aliens, solar flares and pole shifts, before I'd put it down to the greenhouse effect.
    Ocean absorbs heat from the atmosphere.

Why is this hard to understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Article says it's centuries off. Just looking at the changes made w/r/t energy consumption patterns in the past two centuries leads me to believe that what we use to power our standard of living will be completely unforeseen by today's brightest minds.
    In which case we have 2 options.

- Take the risk, and don't flood those technologies with money and let them develop more slowly, and have a slightly more powerful economy over time.
    - Not risk it, drive development in technology thus we reach that time sooner, and tech flourishes, which whilst we take a temporary economic hit will pay for itself with the rapidly increasing technology.

That sounds like a really difficult decision.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Ocean absorbs heat from the atmosphere.

Why is this hard to understand?
    He probably skipped Physics class and don't know how much heat water can absorb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Nah, FOX news is a good source of information but everyone has their flaws so they can have some "yellow" material from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Something MAC-adress something
    I dont even use a Mac.. I use a PC.