Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Need advice- New Player!

Hey guys,

I know I'm years too late but I have finally got round to trying World of Warcraft...and I have fell in love. I am currently a Lvl 13 Female Druid Worgen HOWEVER! I desperately need advice on how to advance through the game effectively while having fun as I do it!

Any advice/tips would be deeply helpful!

Kind Regards,
    Danguar01

Deleted
    Just don't rush with leveling and enjoy all the content you can do

At level 15+ check out dungeon finder and do some runs with random people.

Level up some professions while you're questing. Also check out pet battles - they also give you a bit of experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, as someone who has played through three expansions now:

- Find a social guild so you have people to talk to and quest with!
    - Avoid the low-level dungeons until you're around 59+
    - Read the quests and get to know the lore of what you're doing

There isn't a lot of advice to really give. Just enjoy the experience

Deleted
    Thank you guys for the quick replies! Darsithis, what races do you currently play as?

10+ Year Old Account
    All about the enjoyment. As a new player I would avoid PvP for awhile (there is gear they can get that will just ruin your day as a new player). But level up and explore! IF you can find a guild that's great too, make friends. Welcome to the experience and don't read the forums too much or it might soil your opinion of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danguar01 View Post
    Thank you guys for the quick replies! Darsithis, what races do you currently play as?
    I'm almost always exclusively human on Alliance. My main is the armory link in my signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a Human Death Knight (Blood and Frost) and I've been playing since 2005.

General Advice

- Don't invite someone to a group without saying something to them first... it rubs people the wrong way.
    - Don't beg for gold... it will give you a bad reputation and possibly get you blacklisted.
    - If you're not enjoying a class as much as you thought you would, don't hesitate to switch to a different one.
    - Don't make the game a rush to the level cap... enjoy the ride. There will be plenty of time to do max-level content later on.
    - Learn dual-spec ASAP. It's not very expensive and it will possibly give you the opportunity to fill a new role.
    - Don't spend all of your money on gear while you level up. The only possible exception to this rule is weapons... but don't blow your life savings on a weapon or item that you will replace soon.
    - Joining a level 25 guild will help you in many ways, but if you find yourself playing with a great group of people it doesn't matter what the level your guild is.

Personal Advice

- Learn a gathering profession ASAP (Skinning, Mining, or Herbalism) and keep them until you reach the level cap. You gain a slight amount of experience from mining a node or picking a flower so it will help you with leveling. You can make good money early on just from selling the materials you get.
    - Once you hit the level cap you might want to consider dropping your gathering professions for a crafting profession. Decide in advance what you want to be able to craft before you drop your gathering professions though, because you can likely use your gathering profession to gather the materials you will need to level a crafting profession.

I'm sure I could think of some other advice to give, but my mind isn't moving as fast right now as it should be. Enjoy WoW!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PChaosWM View Post
    Learn a gathering profession ASAP (Skinning, Mining, or Herbalism) and keep them until you reach the level cap. You gain a slight amount of experience from mining a node or picking a flower so it will help you with leveling. You can make good money early on just from selling the materials you get.!
    Excellent advice in particular. I started fresh on our guild's Horde server and made 3k selling off my mining ore/bars as I leveled. That's not a lot overall but for a new player that's plenty as you level up.

Everyone else has given solid advice. My advice is similar but with a few things added.

-Don't do the dungeons unless you have a quest to do it. Dungeons might be 'easier' XP but you hurt yourself by missing out on the world that Blizzard has crafted.
    -Join a guild, but don't be afraid to leave it. If the guild isn't getting you what you want then leave. But don't whine or complain in chat all the time. Also if you're begging for help questing and such they'll probably ignore you anyway.
    -Don't buy gear on the AH... or on the vendors. You'll always have better gear coming down the line from questing.
    -Don't worry about optimal stats/play right now. Just enjoy the game. Sure if you're a feral (cat or bear) druid and you're running around in a ton of intellect gear that's not helpful but don't worry about it to much if your stats are not 100% optimized.
    -Have fun and enjoy the questing. What I mean is don't make 50 alts. I know it's tempting to make one of each class when you're new to the game, but it really is better to experience the game all the way through. Once you've done that you can worry about alts.
    -Alts! Don't waste a bunch of gold on them!

If you want to level quicker roll Feral Specialization, but if you just want to take it slow and have fun during the I'd suggest just play whatever Spec you want to play.

If you have troubles finding something or a quest, there's always wowdb.com or wowhead.com.

I'd go against what the others have said about dungeons, and do each one once, for the quests inside, and be prepared for the usual troubles that rarely arise (nasty shouty people). However, definitely stay away from battlegrounds, everyone else will be heavily heirloomed (heirloom; item that levels with you, very powerful, available to buy only at high levels).
    I personally never managed to level a druid as anything other than balance, so I'd recommend that.
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Deleted
    Dungeon Finder is not that bad, all instances have quests that give you a ton of experience, you just need to do them once tho
    Last edited by mmocec7950f9b8; 2014-05-14 at 02:38 PM.

Take your time and don't rush through! Try to avoid guides if you can. You can use em if you're stuck, but I'd say use them for your second time through with an alt instead.

I know I'm years too late but I have finally got round to trying World of Warcraft...and I have fell in love. I am currently a Lvl 13 Female Druid Worgen HOWEVER! I desperately need advice on how to advance through the game effectively while having fun as I do it!
    Don't feel bad. WoW has a lot of history, but don't feel like you missed out because you came late to the party.

Other people suggested a guild, I wanted to echo that: your best bet is to find a guild that does stuff, and talks in /g, where you can ask questions of people you know. Friends and acquaintances in-game.

The worst possible way to find a guild like that is to accept the offers that *flood* in to any toon outside a guild. Create a new character and, boom, millions of guilds sending you invites. These guilds might be good, and some of them are probably amazing, but they *also* hoover up anyone who comes along because lots of players who ignore the guild generate gold for the guild bank. They are *not* the guild you are looking for.

The guilds who advertise in trade chat in the main cities are a pretty good choice. You should get there sometime soon, if you have not already -- when people advertise their guild in /2, see if it sounds like somewhere that helps out low level players, and whisper the person advertising to ask if they are a good guild for someone so new to the game.

That conversation should help you figure out if the guild is probably a good fit, and then give it a shot. If you get lots of help, and feel like you have friends in the first couple of days who are there to help you figure stuff out, stick with it. If not, try another guild in /2, now that you know something you don't want.

From those friends, everything else flows. You will have a group of people to help you figure out what is honestly a pretty damn complex game. You will have people to do stuff with once you hit 90, and are looking to do dungeons and stuff. You might even have company while you level. Good stuff.

So, yeah, there are nasty people in WoW, but guilds -- good guilds -- still exist, and are still great.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    - Read the quests and get to know the lore of what you're doing
    This make the game the most enjoyable for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Do what you find enjoyable. Here are some things I wish I had known as a new player:

1. If you enjoy min/maxing games, immediately start keybinding your abilities. If you don't care, don't bother.
    2. If you like being rich, learn how the auction house works. Pretty much any item that doesn't have a grey background will sell for a decent amount of gold at the auction house.
    3. On the topic of collecting items, buy at least 4 netherweave bags to make inventory management easier.
    4. The user interface is very customizable. If you think to yourself "Hey, it would be nice I could do X" chances are you can within either the game options or by installing an addon.
    5. There are many ways to level. I would advise you at least try them all out once to see what you enjoy. Options are questing, grinding random mobs, dungeons, pvp, gathering professions, pet battles, or exploring the map. Variety is the spice of life, so don't feel locked to doing only one method.
    6. If you like the concept of dungeons, make sure you try out every available role too - Tank, Healer or DPS. You might need to try a different class to do so though.
    7. If you like trying different classes, do so! The first 30 levels are pretty fast and introduce many of your staple abilities. Don't feel locked to one character.
    8. Try out the different specs available to your class! Any trainer in any main city can respec you for a very small fee.
    9. If you like doing stuff with people, find a social guild. Some are good, some are bad, so don't be discouraged if you don't find a home right off the bat.

Deleted
    Thank you guys so much for giving a noob some advice- shows how great this community is Just saying, I have chosen to specify as a Druid Tank (Is that a good idea?!)

Also, could anyone tell me where I could read up on WOW lore?

Thanks again!

Wowpedia is a good resource for lore, though be careful because it also contains a lot of non-canon content from the pen-and-paper RPG books.

If you're just interested in lore there's a few youtube channels dedicated to talking about it too. Personally I like Nobbel's lore series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you guys so much for giving a noob some advice- shows how great this community is Just saying, I have chosen to specify as a Druid Tank (Is that a good idea?!)

Also, could anyone tell me where I could read up on WOW lore?

Thanks again!
    I wouldn't suggest tanking if you're new to the game. Tanks...well, we're abused a lot and expected to know everything ahead of time.

Deleted
    Thanks for the advice- what do you suggest?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much, I will give it a look now!