The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Bnet and Borderlands experiencing the same, oddly specific issue.

Hello my fellow MMO-champion~ers! I come to you today seeking help with a very strange issue I've been having the last few days.

The biggest issue right now that I seem to be having is that the Battle.Net Desktop App refuses to work right. Whenever I try to run it, it launches in the backround, and from what I can see on the Task Manager it's running as it should but it doesn't display the interface at all (And thus I cannot play any of my Blizzard games). Attempting to reinstall it has left me with another issue where I can't even log into it, instead I'm stuck on the log-in screen (And have been for the last thirty minutes as of the completion of this post).

The other issue might be unrelated, but I'll bring them up anyway in case there's some relevance. Borderlands 2 also refuses to launch, with the exact same issues as the Bnet app; I'll open the program and get nothing, though Steam tells me I'm signed in and it often takes repeated tries to cancel the game through the Task manager. I've not had this issue with any of my other steam games at the moment, though the Steam Desktop App itself has been freezing on and off lately, but as I said I'm not sure if these are related. I'll keep poking around my programs to figure out what all is being affected by this issue, but so far Borderlands and Bnet are the only ones having issues.

As a sidenote: If anyone can tell me where the 'File Repair' tool is on Windows 8, that'd be amazing since I've spent a good chunk of time trying to find it to see if that would help. I've also ran all my Anti-Virus/Malware programs to try and see if this was the issue, but nothing turned up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving to computer forum, probably would be more helpful.

By "stuck on the log-in screen" What does it actually do? After you enter your info and press log in, what happens?

Try this and see if it fixes anything: https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...attlenet-files

It seems like this is a Windows 8 compatibility kind of problem or something, and I don't use Windows 8, so I can't really help in that department.

Deleted
    If the solution that IRunSoFarAway pointed to didn't work, try running Battlenet app as administrator and in compatibility mode.
    You may also try log to windows in safe mode with networking and check if the problem persist.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    By "stuck on the log-in screen" What does it actually do? After you enter your info and press log in, what happens?

Try this and see if it fixes anything: https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...attlenet-files

It seems like this is a Windows 8 compatibility kind of problem or something, and I don't use Windows 8, so I can't really help in that department.
    When I said it was stuck on the login screen, I mean that I'd enter the information and it would put up the graphic saying that it was loading but never did anything.

Also looking at the instructions in that link, I seemed to be missing the important 'Agent' Folder. So that might've been the issue, trying again after deleting and reinstalling the client.

Edit: That didn't work either, and neither did OneZ's suggestion. I'm still stuck on the login screen.
    Double Edit: Reinstalling Borderlands didn't help that issue either.
    Triple Edit: Offline mode still works apparently, it just won't let me sign in. Attempting a System restore to see if that helps.
    Last Edit: Seems the system restore helped, just wish I knew what caused the issue to begin with.
    Last edited by Xyonai; 2014-05-25 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Last Edit: Seems the system restore helped, just wish I knew what caused the issue to begin with.
    Most likely a corrupted file somewhere out there, battle.net or otherwise. Either way, at least it's fixed.

If it was starting in the background and refusing to come to the foreground, that would have been an issue with Windows.

I imagine if you'd started going through other games they would have done the same thing. There's a way to setup programs to be forced to a certain priority (such as Task Manager, which is forced to the foreground by default); I'm not entirely sure how to edit them as I've never had a reason to, but the priorities for your programs may have gotten changed somehow. Either by a Trojan, or an accidental setting change, or a corrupted Registry file.