Thread: Any Tips?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any Tips?

Hello.
    I was wondering if any1 uses/has any helpful addons or macros that could help me out. Ive been out for few months so im trying 2 get back into raiding. ATM i am arms.

Anything to help max my dps. Also if any1 has a clean UI.

Thanks!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    tellmewhen or similar addon to track proccs and buffs. highly costumable, from the sound it makes (if you want it to make a sound) to the effect it blinks with.
    Dbm.
    skada or recount, both are useful beysond the e-peen meter.
    tidy plates. especially if you ever want to tank.

if you want to build your own ui, start with bartender.
    comergy is a nice ragebar with diffrent, adjustable color section depending on your rage level.

things to make life more comfortable:
    bagnon
    titan panel
    WIM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

atm i do have recount and DBM. maybe i should have said what i am using lol. for the UI i have been using ElvUi for little bit but i want 2 change it up.
    tellmewhen and highly costumable are the names?
    is tidy plates also useful for dps?

few of these i have heard of, but what is WIM?
    Last edited by Saidno92; 2014-06-04 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saidno92 View Post
    atm i do have recount and DBM. maybe i should have said what i am using lol. for the UI i have been using ElvUi for little bit but i want 2 change it up.
    tellmewhen and highly costumable are the names?
    is tidy plates also useful for dps?

few of these i have heard of, but what is WIM?
    WIM - WoW Instant Messenger, basically creates a UI for whispers not unlike some instant messaging clients.
    I wouldn't call that useful for your role, or is it going to improve how you play, but is one you could describe (potentially) as a quality of life improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Sorry I'm late to this thread, these are some of my favorite addons that I have used for years, the list is a bit old since its a repost of a previous topic but I still use all of them. Some are raiding specific, but many of them are just QoL and antithetical for a nice UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post

Addons I use and recommend:

WeakAuras - Extremely powerful mod, I could prob replace my entire UI with just weak auras if I really wanted to set it all up. I have yet to find something WA cannot do.

Deadly Boss Mods - Must have for any raider. BigWigs is a great alternate and they are both outstanding. DBM works better out of box and yells at you more. BigWigs is more for people who want to turn specific things on and off and emphasize individual options more.

Bartender - Action Bars, simple really with lots of uses when you get into it. I myself like to make bars that hide until you mouse over them or enter combat.

BindPad - I LOVE this addon! It gives you a window to which you can bind abilities without them being on a bar. It also lets you use them as additional macro slots. Since I like really minimalistic UI's without unneeded information shown, this addon is great. Has account wide and character/spec individual pages too. Cannot recommend enough!

Pitbull - Takes a lot more setup than most, but tons of customization for the advanced user. Stuf is my second favorite.

Quartz - Cast bars and such. I hear its not updated anymore, but it has never given me any problems. Also does GCD, swing timers and focus cast bars.

Elkano's Buff Bars - I love these. I hate seeing de/buff icons on the top row. So many things look alike that I need names! It also sorts buffs and debuffs into separate, movable stacks. Plus I can stack them neatly on the right hand side under my minimap.

Tidyplates - Name plates for mobs, looks nice, tracks debuffs if you need it and easy way to tell threat (I like the widgets option).

MSBT (Mik's Scrolling Battle Text) - I turn off a lot of the spam, but its nice for showing incoming damage and healing. I don't use it for showing my damage though, I like those numbers showing above the bosses head.

MoveAnything - Lets you move anything! From boss health frames to alternate power bars in raids, or the special action button.

ACP (Addon Control Panel) - Lets you turn addons on/off without logging out, just need to /rl (reload).

TipTac
    - Just a small tooltip replacer. I think it looks nice is all really.

SexyMap
    - Just looks fun.

Mapster - Nicer main Map.

Cursor - Makes my cursor have glowy effects so I don't lose it. EDIT: I guess its not updated anymore and people have issues making it work? I picked it up during T14 and never had a problem with it.

ButtonFacade aka Masque - Makes my action buttons look nicer. I think its called Masque now because I have both turned on, not even sure why, haha. Tons of different versions and colors, I like the one called Darion.

FontDamageChanger - Makes your damage numbers look nicer. Takes a bit of out of wow setup.

And about a dozen more non-UI related mods. I'm sorry its not exactly what you were asking for but I really believe in learning to set things up and tweak them yourself vice using someone elses pre-packaged setup. As soon as that package isn't updated your screwed!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quartz swing timer.

Oh wait, this isn't 2007 :P

Anyway, above posters have summed it up pretty well, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Quartz swing timer.

Oh wait, this isn't 2007 :P

Anyway, above posters have summed it up pretty well, I think.
    I don't use Swing Timer on Warrior but it is useful on DK.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just reminiscing back to TBC, when it was pretty much mandatory to use a swing timer as Arms to weave slams in between your auto attacks :P

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    I was just reminiscing back to TBC, when it was pretty much mandatory to use a swing timer as Arms to weave slams in between your auto attacks :P
    I know, lol. Luckily nobody played Arms seriously in PvE and in PvP it didn't matter nearly as much.
    I think the OP forgot about this thread anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really on a DK anyway, 2h isn't any good, and DW ignores OB anyway so KM procs don't need to be tracked. Even for 2h you shouldn't be tracking swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Not really on a DK anyway, 2h isn't any good, and DW ignores OB anyway so KM procs don't need to be tracked. Even for 2h you shouldn't be tracking swings.
    My resident guild DK would beg to differ and while he is a bit of an ass, he is also one of the best in the world <shrug>.

I use Bartender and ElvUI. ElvUI is pretty customisable and after the getting to grips with it phase I prefer it to any UI I've used before. With that said, previously I used the Blizzard UI and Bartender, nothing fancy. You can play with Blizz UI at any level, it's all about personal preference at the end of the day.

I know, lol. Luckily nobody played Arms seriously in PvE and in PvP it didn't matter nearly as much.
    I think the OP forgot about this thread anyways.
    In TBC? if you think that then you didn't play PVE seriously in TBC. Arms Warriors were more valuable than Fury Warriors in TBC due to Blood Frenzy. An Arms Warrior did not have the pure dps of a Fury Warrior, but brought much more raid dps contribution purely because of that talent, and because of that talent they were far more popular than Fury warriors in "serious" pve guilds.. .Ya know like SK Gaming... they certaintly didn't take a Fury Warrior for their Kil'Jaeden World First.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    In TBC? if you think that then you didn't play PVE seriously in TBC. Arms Warriors were more valuable than Fury Warriors in TBC due to Blood Frenzy. An Arms Warrior did not have the pure dps of a Fury Warrior, but brought much more raid dps contribution purely because of that talent, and because of that talent they were far more popular than Fury warriors in "serious" pve guilds.. .Ya know like SK Gaming... they certaintly didn't take a Fury Warrior for their Kil'Jaeden World First.
    That is true, for awhile in my guild I was brought along as Arms solely for Blood Frenzy. Most guilds only brought one, though. Warrior DPS was generally in a dark place until WotLk/Cata in the sense that up until then we were either forced to tank (i.e. much of vanilla) or that we had inherent limitations to our ability to DPS (i.e. ridiculous threat, begging for Salv every 5 minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I use Bartender and ElvUI. ElvUI is pretty customisable and after the getting to grips with it phase I prefer it to any UI I've used before. With that said, previously I used the Blizzard UI and Bartender, nothing fancy. You can play with Blizz UI at any level, it's all about personal preference at the end of the day.

As Denkou said, most only brought a single Arms Warrior for the debuff; for pure damage, Fury far out performed Arms. Most raiding guilds only had a single Warrior though, so obviously they would go Arms.
    TBC was a very different beast though, and raid comp meant a great deal more than now, for example most Shamans would use GoA (unless you had a good shaman who knew how to twist) for themselves and Rogues, but Warriors got a great deal more out of Windfury; more than the rest of the group combined got out of GoA in fact. I don't think we were in that dark of a place though we did need a well built comp to perform well. Namely good group buffs like Windfury, and some of the more overpowered trinkets like Dragonspine Trophy.
    I remember the threat though! Damn Heroic Strike and its large amount of threat. During late TBH I had so much haste and hit (dual wield capped iirc), that it was almost impossible to spend rage as fast as I got it, and I was constantly tanking something.

But then, I don't look back on Classic/TBC with the great nostalgia others do because I remember those logistical nightmares setting up raid groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    My resident guild DK would beg to differ and while he is a bit of an ass, he is also one of the best in the world <shrug>.
    Well, those are the types of people who can pull it off. It's a theoretical super small (sub .5% IIRC) dps increase as 2h if done perfectly. It's generally considered not worth doing because messing it up you lose way more than you could gain.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Denkou said, most only brought a single Arms Warrior for the debuff; for pure damage, Fury far out performed Arms. Most raiding guilds only had a single Warrior though, so obviously they would go Arms.
    TBC was a very different beast though, and raid comp meant a great deal more than now, for example most Shamans would use GoA (unless you had a good shaman who knew how to twist) for themselves and Rogues, but Warriors got a great deal more out of Windfury; more than the rest of the group combined got out of GoA in fact. I don't think we were in that dark of a place though we did need a well built comp to perform well. Namely good group buffs like Windfury, and some of the more overpowered trinkets like Dragonspine Trophy.
    I remember the threat though! Damn Heroic Strike and its large amount of threat. During late TBH I had so much haste and hit (dual wield capped iirc), that it was almost impossible to spend rage as fast as I got it, and I was constantly tanking something.

But then, I don't look back on Classic/TBC with the great nostalgia others do because I remember those logistical nightmares setting up raid groups.
    On one hand, I'm glad that they've taken on a "bring the player, not the class" philosophy because it was nigh impossible for Fury Warriors to get into raid groups back then. Don't even mention 5-mans, because the lack of CC meant we were automatically denied. At the same time, I do feel that all the homogenization takes away from the depth and flavor of the game as a whole. When you have a buff that can be given by 3-4 different classes, it feels a bit lame, IMO.

Anyway, I digress. This is a topic for another time and another place

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Well, those are the types of people who can pull it off. It's a theoretical super small (sub .5% IIRC) dps increase as 2h if done perfectly. It's generally considered not worth doing because messing it up you lose way more than you could gain.
    I remember that from ICC, think we called it Rend!

Aye I remember TBC very well, I was raiding at the fine end back in those days and I was a Fury Warrior in a guild that had room for one, on pure damage alone Fury was up there with the rogues, locks and hunters, and keeping demo shout up as a Fury Warrior was easier than it was for Arms(or came at a smaller price). Threat was an issue (not helped by having to be given a 10min salvation, instead of a 30min), especially if you didn't have a Feral for fights like Brutallus (we did), but not one that caused a real problem for us/me.

Arms was more desired though, there was no need to take an additional Fury Warrior when a rogue did equal as much damage but also came with threat dropping mechanics and survival utility like cloak of shadows. You only took 1 Arms Warrior because as you said, you generally only took one dps Warrior and thus Fury Warriors were not very popular at the fine end, Arms on the other hand was almost required.

And Arms was not that bad, properly geared/played with the swing timer you could probably 2.1k-2.2k dps, which was far from slacking, while the best locks/rogues/hunters/fury warriors lingered between the 2.3-2.5k dps area, generally. I don't remember other classes/specs being able to compete with locks/hunters/rogues/fury, enhancement shamans were pretty strong but a step below if I remember right.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-06-09 at 12:00 PM.

At the end of T6, geared Fury Warriors with Glaives were the top damage dealing class in the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Keensteel View Post
    At the end of T6, geared Fury Warriors with Glaives were the top damage dealing class in the game...
    Depends at which point of the game you're talking about, Black Temple T6? Sunwell T6?

Kil'Jaeden MH + Trash offhand were the BIS setup for Warriors... It was pretty close but the theorycrafting doesn't lie... Maybe, just maybe Warglaives were ahead against demons. Fury Warriors were never the top damage dealing class in the game, officially SK gaming actually set some record topping 3k dps with their hunters. Technically, Hunters were the top damage dealing class. In the overall reality, Rogues Locks, Hunters and Fury Warriors were neck and neck..

Fury were definitely not the top damage dealers at the end of TBC, and certaintly not the most desired. More so they were roughly equal with rogues and warlocks, but if you're going to be nitpicky they were all behind Legendary equipped hunters. And if we're gonna be really picky, Rogues got a greater benefit from Warglaives than Warriors. Warriors didn't really want a fast offhand, where as Rogues required a fast offhand... the faster the better.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-06-09 at 04:03 PM.