Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    forced diversity
    what you call racism i call freedom of association, and its a natural thing
    So's being naked and eating berries. When are you going to start being natural if its such a big deal?

Oh wait, you're just a racist.

OT: Social degradation is a non-thing. People confuse society changing with society getting worse. They cherry pick, view things through rosed tinted glasses or with bias, spin stories, use hearsay as evidence... Ultimately, society is probably improving more then its getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Everything started going to Hell after Knight Rider was cancelled.

On topic: I think people have always wanted some personal space, maybe mobile phones, tablets etc. have made people want more personal space. I mean, ill rather browse the web or watch youtube videos in a bus than try to make conversation with someone I don't know next to me.
    I wouldn't call this 'degeneration' though.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Deleted
    How many times did you hear the phrase "Personal Space", and violation of it?
    Many, many times and I use it often. Why? Because I don't find it comfortable for someone I don't know to be right in my face. You don't sleep with every person you meet I'm sure, if we can exaggerate.
    How many times did you sit on a bus chair, and hoped for the guy that just boarded the bus, not to come and sit next to you?
    Pretty often, for various reasons. One of them is "too little space". Other times is that I'm simply tired and don't want to talk to other people.
    How many times you saw a known person on street and looked away just to avoid him/her?
    If that person isn't looking suspicious, never.
    It is truth, nowdays people prefer the company of pets rather than the Human one. Many people we asked, said that they perfer to have a dog and go out every day for a stroll, rather than try and have a relationship with another Human. What is worse? When they felt that this was not enought, the just bought another pet. Most of them, they refer to their pet as their "child".
    I don't own a pet, but to answer this, I think it's kind of stupid to refer to your pet as to your child. But at least irresponsible people don't have children when they're not prepared for them.
    Recently, in my region, a drunk man was causing trouble to a neighbourhood. The people called the police to pacify him. This man had a dog, and when the policemen tried to capture the owner, it bit badly three policemen sending them to the hospital. When the news were all over the internet and the facebook, the people in their comments supported the dog and worried if the dog got hurt. The more "hardcore" dog supporters/antiauthoritarians, suggested that the dog should have killed the policemen.
    Vocal minority. Dog lovers are more likely going to find/search/read articles like that. They're also more likely to comment on that, because they feel the need to excuse that "cute, couldn't harm anyone" dog.

What's my score? Am I degenerated enough?

The desire for more personal space is a byproduct of urbanization, because the scarcity of personal space goes up with population density.

This may, in fact, have a direct bearing on the sociability or urban denizens. I think the reason why people from New York City are considered "rude" is because New York City is the most densely populated major city in the country. It has 8.5 million people living on 300 square miles (28k per square mile). That's nearly more than the population of the second and third most dense cities (San Francisco and Boston) combined. That kind of density puts intense stresses on the availability of personal space, and makes the violations thereof all the more offensive.

Years ago there was an interview (I think for New Yorker magazine) with an Amish man who came to Penn Station, in Midtown Manhattan, once a month to sell wares. The reporter asked him what he thought about New Yorkers, and the man said "New Yorkers must be the friendliest people in the world." The reporter, stunned, asked why he thought this, and the man said, "If you stuck eight million Amish on such a small piece of land, we'd all kill each other off in under a week."

Quote Originally Posted by Cave Johnson View Post
    Recently, I made a small research with a friend about which way the general class of society is turning to....

...What you guys think of the possible Social Degeneration?
    Are you perchance 16, OP? Or younger?

Pretty much everything you complain about are the same they've always been, are in fact improving rather than "degredating", or are just your opinion.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Yes, your point is always how some people turn things into race that simply have nothing to do with it. Regardless of what the thread is about, you will continue to peruse the point that some people are always talking about race. You can take people not disputing that point, as their unwillingness to engage in the topic of race with you in every thread or perhaps... Just perhaps... You might realize that the person changing every topic to a race debate... Is actually you...
    Tell you what, what don't you scroll up to post #1 ...re-read it ...and then come back to me with another diatribe about how I'm not talking about the very thing that the thread is about. Because I expended, directly, off one of the themes of this tread which were examples by the OT that lead to social degeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Calm down, sparky.
    You didn't read up high enough.

Didactic basically didn't like the fact that I spoke the truth about a very real and very masked version of racism, likely because he knows its indisputable, so he decided to derail to the point with his own and then presumed to tell me that's what I was talking about all along.

Then you came along and barked at me for the same thing.

If I went off on this sort of tangent in threads I'd egt infracted for "not reading the post history" as I have in the past
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Didactic basically didn't like the fact that I spoke the truth about a very real and very masked version of racism, likely because he knows its indisputable, so he decided to derail to the point with his own and then presumed to tell me that's what I was talking about all along.
    No, I just don't like the fact you confuse paternalism with racism since they are in fact two different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have similar worries but the #1 contributor that I can see was not mentioned by you:

this "agile" "breadcrumb" "instant gratification" "ADD" "ADHD" mindset which began in corporate offices but somehow tech cycled its way out to everyone. Everyone is always looking at the next WoW expansion, the next tier, the next new Galaxy phone, the next iPad, the next whatever.

In WoW we went from a large world of content to patch cycles with repeatable dailies. Long-term goals are dead, only short-term processes matter. In technology we see software/firmware/DLC updates and changes.

In movies/tv shows we've run out of pure shock value, so the shock value has to be delivered in frequent doses (Game of Thrones-- social media chatter is higher after shock value episodes, but lower if any episodes are spent on story development).

In food it's about whatever satisfies immediate pleasures, sugars, salts, bad fats. Long-term health isn't a concern. People don't even want to do the studies on GMOs, or have an open-mind for either conclusion. It's all polarized and over-realized without deliberation; 15 minute internet philosophies are giving conviction to unexplored rhetoric.

I truly believe that the more breadcrumbs and short-sighted goals society fixates on, the more large, broad things will continue to go unnoticed by many and frustrate the few.

Deleted
    All of the aspects you've presented OP, are common to a certain layer of the population. And that mostly includes lower and middle class. It's not a degeneration that's functioning, but an ignorant approach towards the surrounding reality. And that is something that has been happening since the beginning of civilization.
    Those who rule, realize the necessity of unification, whilst the ruled, stay divided.

Deleted
    What you guys think of the possible Social Degeneration?
    I can't openly state my opinions in a polite manner and explain their rationale behind them.

Because it's against the mmo-c rules. Because that would offend someone. And offending someone is bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting read from the OP. I've noticed the same kind of behavior from people and the corruption is spreading. The obsession with animals with today's society is disturbing where they're often held at a higher regard over humans.

Human society is plainly better now than in the past in almost every way. The excessive cynicism expressed by some about these damned kids is nothing new. The reality is that crime rates have plummeted, living standards have improved, prejudice has diminished, and education has increased. It is emphatically better to have been born in 1994 than 1974 or 1954.

The root of the degeneration is something that we look for. I can't give an answer until we collect and analyse more data. What I can say is that part of it is the missunderstanding and decline of moral values.
    Well what are the moral values?

The west lambastes russia, uganda, and other countries because those countries' values don't believe and abhor homosexuality. But in the west it's chic to be a gaydor. Why do western values trump or interfere with other people's values?

The west likes to invade and colonize poorer nations and criminalize them but it doesn't do so to the "in" nations. Example is the sex slave trade in europe where nothing is being done. however, the kidnapped girls in nigeria have the western world up in arms with america promising to send all kinds of aid.

So if moral values are declining whose fault is it? It can't be the non western world as they're not the leaders. But is it solely on the west? no.

And who will define what values are? It seems to me that the world leaders believe they're the ones with the right to do so.

Anything goes morality being trumpeted by europe and other parts of the "1st world" imo are a great place to determine where the decline of moral values starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    Well what are the moral values?

The west lambastes russia, uganda, and other countries because those countries' values don't believe and abhor homosexuality. But in the west it's chic to be a gaydor. Why do western values trump or interfere with other people's values?

The west likes to invade and colonize poorer nations and criminalize them but it doesn't do so to the "in" nations. Example is the sex slave trade in europe where nothing is being done. however, the kidnapped girls in nigeria have the western world up in arms with america promising to send all kinds of aid.

So if moral values are declining whose fault is it? It can't be the non western world as they're not the leaders. But is it solely on the west? no.

And who will define what values are? It seems to me that the world leaders believe they're the ones with the right to do so.

Anything goes morality being trumpeted by europe and other parts of the "1st world" imo are a great place to determine where the decline of moral values starts.
    The homosexuality example is particularly telling, as the very reason countries like Uganda are even anti-homosexuality is centuries ago, people from the west colonized their land and told them it was immoral to be homosexual. People who opposed that were punished and maybe even put to death, and we wonder why today they're so steadfast in their stance about homosexuality. It's like the West expects the rest of the world to wait for them to decide what's correct and not correct at any time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I have similar worries but the #1 contributor that I can see was not mentioned by you:

this "agile" "breadcrumb" "instant gratification" "ADD" "ADHD" mindset which began in corporate offices but somehow tech cycled its way out to everyone. Everyone is always looking at the next WoW expansion, the next tier, the next new Galaxy phone, the next iPad, the next whatever.

In WoW we went from a large world of content to patch cycles with repeatable dailies. Long-term goals are dead, only short-term processes matter. In technology we see software/firmware/DLC updates and changes.

In movies/tv shows we've run out of pure shock value, so the shock value has to be delivered in frequent doses (Game of Thrones-- social media chatter is higher after shock value episodes, but lower if any episodes are spent on story development).

In food it's about whatever satisfies immediate pleasures, sugars, salts, bad fats. Long-term health isn't a concern. People don't even want to do the studies on GMOs, or have an open-mind for either conclusion. It's all polarized and over-realized without deliberation; 15 minute internet philosophies are giving conviction to unexplored rhetoric.

I truly believe that the more breadcrumbs and short-sighted goals society fixates on, the more large, broad things will continue to go unnoticed by many and frustrate the few.
    You're missing the forest for the trees. Specific to WoW, while there may have been a few too many changes towards instant gratification versus effort for the long haul, most of those changes are positive changes.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

If these things are unhealthy for our species, we will 'evolve' out of them (theoretically that is).
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    So's being naked and eating berries. When are you going to start being natural if its such a big deal?

OT: Social degradation is a non-thing. People confuse society changing with society getting worse. They cherry pick, view things through rosed tinted glasses or with bias, spin stories, use hearsay as evidence... Ultimately, society is probably improving more then its getting worse.
    so americans are racist if they want to associate with others like themselves?
    oh wait, you're just anti-white

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post

That would merely be your opinion, that society is getting 'better' and not 'worse'. Also, diversity is good. Needing to have at least one black person, one woman and one asian person in every group ever or else you are a racist; that is just plain silly, and that is what he was talking about.

Female characters in gaming is not a negative thing. Forcing developers to wedge in female characters as token or else they are sexist is not a good thing.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-06-12 at 04:55 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    so americans are racist if they want to associate with others like themselves?
    As a general rule, yeah. If you have a racial preference in who you hang around with, you're probably pretty racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As a general rule, yeah. If you have a racial preference in who you hang around with, you're probably pretty racist.
    So black people only wanting to hang out with other black people makes them racist? Or is that different because reasons? Or how about white people that prefer hanging out with black people and not other white people? Is that somehow different because reasons?

Oh, your statement is just arbitrary and silly.

Does it also mean that a guy that prefers to hang out with groups of other guys, and not groups of girls, is sexist? (that said, as a guy, I would probably prefer to hang out with girls myself, but either way the same question occurs)
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-06-12 at 05:01 AM.