Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post

Well one came on a card... so. Anyone who bought the car seperatly is kinda the same as people who buy gold.... not really related.

Also.. the card at its prime sold for... like 1500 dollars? So, yeah
    What does that matter? It came from blizzard originally, and they received windfall money for it. The resources used to develop it were used for it and ONLY it with full knowledge that it wouldn't be obtainable in-game.

Does "fewer people" having access to something that's not obtainable in game justify resources going to it? Because that seems pretty counterproductive to me. "Oh it's OKAY if they use up in-game resources for something out of game, as long as as few people as possible in the community, who's development time it's 'wasting,' actually get it in the end."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by ucplayer View Post
    I'm definitely buying Blizzard stocks. They sure know how to make money.
    Mmmm. You could do worse.

http://www.google.com/finance?cid=353353

Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    Maybe even...a collector's edition potato! /shiver
    Must also come with Lil' Spud's Collar.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Anyone who spends money on this shit needs help.
    What kind of help do I need?

You realise you have to spend $180 a year just to play this game?

Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    Paying £25 is outrageous for a mount, thats like a weeks worth of shopping, that price is a piss take.
    Good god, do you eat nothing but 2 minute noodles? My weekly shopping is never under $200...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Its just the hypocrisy on Blizzards part, where they proclaim that something would literaly cost a raid tier, yet when they get extra money for it, its suddenly ok.
    Comparing the amount of art work required to remake the what, 40+ unique buildings (I'd say 2-3 of those are about the equivalent of one boss room in a raid, ignoring the fact raid rooms reuse art assets quite a bit) for all 9 other races in the game to making one mount model is pretty absurd. If you look at what the buildings actually are compared to the art work that needs to be done to build a raid, the "raid tier" line was actually a drastic underestimate. It'd be a raid tier PER RACE.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Boomkins, try again
    Seriously, if there was no store there would still be no new Boomkin skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Good god, do you eat nothing but 2 minute noodles? My weekly shopping is never under $200..
    careful with such statements.....
    there's quite a significant sized amount of people here, that wouldn't or outright cannot understand that concept.
    But I'm with you on this... I'd say if one doesn't have more than 40 bucks to live for one week, the last thing they should spend their money on is online games that cost subscription fees, even the costs for internet service might appear questionable.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    Paying £25 is outrageous for a mount, thats like a weeks worth of shopping, that price is a piss take.
    A week worth of shopping? :| That's the amount I spend on chewing gum and energy drinks alone for just 3 days. So buying the mount would basically rob me of that pleasure for three whole days if I'd had to choose.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2014-06-13 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    All I'm sensing here is faux-socialogical detached passive aggression, and it's coming from you.

If you've nothing to contribute, you've no reason to speak up.

And if you want to argue, argue how THIS:

is in any way different from THIS:

Because:

*You had to spend real money to get them
    *They required developer resources explicitly spent on something that wasn't going to be obtainable in-game

Aren't those the two points of contention? And if so, well... go back and argue the precedent in Burning Crusade, because it's too late now.
    #1 The ST can be purchased with in-game currency. In fact, I would argue that most people you actually see riding them, bought it with gold.

#2 The ST, as well as most other TCG mounts (barring the rocket I believe), are all re-skins. While it is absolutely clear that far more work has gone into the store mounts than the mounts obtainable in-game, even concerning re-skins.

The Warforged Nightmare in particular, is a re-skin of Proto Drake -> Firehawk level. With the ST, they probably just took a tiger mount, recolored it, and made it transparent.

#3 Blizzard weren't as in your face about the TCG items, as they are with the shop currently. Even before it was made part of the UI.

#4 And most important. The TCG mounts have a purpose, other than (directly) making Blizzard money. They were there to promote the TCG. If you buy a spectral tiger for 700$, that money does not go to Blizzard.

Although I'm sure that they sold a lot of packs thanks to the ST, most people who wanted one bought it specifically, or spent in-game gold on it.

To sum up - It's not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post

And maybe that would even be ok - IF Blizzard would be honest with their players and actually tell ppl that WOD will not actually release until December 2014. Would have been good to know for many watching the last Blizzcon....
    Yeah, pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Good god, do you eat nothing but 2 minute noodles? My weekly shopping is never under $200...
    It's different depending on where he does his shopping. As an example:

In my country (EU), a 6 pack of Coke from our biggest chain is just under 10$. Has to cost like half as much in Wallmart (US), probably less.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    And maybe that would even be ok - IF Blizzard would be honest with their players and actually tell ppl that WOD will not actually release until December 2014. Would have been good to know for many watching the last Blizzcon....
    They didn't know WoD would be that long.

I am not trying to defend Blizzard though, they were working hard to make people think they are going to release early, all the while having little planning and control capability (they are completely inept at resource allocation), so of course that backfired.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamzy View Post
    It's different depending on where he does his shopping. As an example:

In my country (EU), a 6 pack of Coke from our biggest chain is just under 10$. Has to cost like half as much in Wallmart (US), probably less.
    He denominated in pounds, it's something like AUD$50. And cost of living isn't THAT much different in Britain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    What does that matter? It came from blizzard originally, and they received windfall money for it. The resources used to develop it were used for it and ONLY it with full knowledge that it wouldn't be obtainable in-game.

Does "fewer people" having access to something that's not obtainable in game justify resources going to it? Because that seems pretty counterproductive to me. "Oh it's OKAY if they use up in-game resources for something out of game, as long as as few people as possible in the community, who's development time it's 'wasting,' actually get it in the end."
    People complain on the 30 bugs for this mount.. while they dont complain about the card which is sold for 1500+.. weird community is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    careful with such statements.....
    there's quite a significant sized amount of people here, that wouldn't or outright cannot understand that concept.
    But I'm with you on this... I'd say if one doesn't have more than 40 bucks to live for one week, the last thing they should spend their money on is online games that cost subscription fees, even the costs for internet service might appear questionable.
    Then he or she has better things to do then playing games! period.

Don't go after the art guys for this sort of stuff. Go after the marketing folks. They're the ones pushing these little monetization initiatives.

The art guys just do what they're told -- and there's a lot of overhead above them (managers, C level staff, who is beholden to shareholders and the board, etc., etc.).

Any devs that come out and say "X is going to cost you a raid tier" is putting their foot in their mouth, though. I can't say they don't deserve a flaming for that. Safer response is: "we can look into it, but we only have so much bandwidth".