Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Glyphs for Removed Spells

What if instead of permanently removing the spell from the game they became Glyphs we could choose to add to our spell book. With all of the spells being removed for the sake of reducing the button bloat It feels like many of our favorite spells are going down the drain just to narrow our skill set. Most of these spells have the same advantages as a vanity item anyway so why not make them an optional Major/minor glyph? Since many of these spells didn't work their way into an optimized rotation their utility as an optional glyph can finally be realized.

Here is a list of spells on the chopping block taken from Wowhead. This list includes only spells that have been removed entirely and not spells that have been restricted to a class specialization.

Death Knight
    Blood Boil
    Blood Parasites
    Mark of Blood

Druid
    Bear Hug
    Symbiosis
    Hibernate

Hunter
    Pet Ability(Cower)
    Eyes of the Beast

Mage
    Flame Orb

Monk
    Clash
    Avert Harm
    Healing Sphere
    Spinning Fire Blossom

Paladin
    Blinding Light
    Holy Light
    Hand of Salvation

Priest
    Spirit Shell
    Void Shift

Rogue
    Disarm Trap
    Redirect
    Shadow Blades

Shaman
    Earthquake
    Bind Elemental
    Totemic Recall
    Water Shield

Warlock
    Demonic Breath
    Fel Flame
    Metamorphosis: Void Ray
    Metamorphosis: Carrion Swarm

Warrior
    Beserker Stance
    Cleave
    Demoralizing Banner
    Overpower
    Throw

Some yes, some no.

Can add glyphs for minor ablities that are mostly cosmetic or fun, not for things that change roation or add tools to your pvp/pve aresnal like symbosis, damage cds, cc ect.

Bloodboil could be kept as a cosmetic glyph since its effects are identical to the new pestilence (But blizz said new pestilence would use BB animation)

Really most of the abilities you listed would be problematic since classes new toolkits are designed around the lack of these ablities. Alot of those are ccs which were removed for pvp reasons. Others were removed because they didn't want hybrids ect. to have too much power in keeping the group alive as they wanted that to be mostly a healer role.

I would like to see minor glyphs that just keep the cosmetic effects of the abilities without the effects attached, like the carrion swarm animation but no knock back/damage.

That will just move the clutter from the spellbook to the glyphmarket.

Those abilities are all redundant and you'll forget they even existed 1 month into WoD, I guarantee it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    What if instead of permanently removing the spell from the game they became Glyphs we could choose to add to our spell book. With all of the spells being removed for the sake of reducing the button bloat It feels like many of our favorite spells are going down the drain just to narrow our skill set. Most of these spells have the same advantages as a vanity item anyway so why not make them an optional Major/minor glyph? Since many of these spells didn't work their way into an optimized rotation their utility as an optional glyph can finally be realized.

Here is a list of spells on the chopping block taken from Wowhead. This list includes only spells that have been removed entirely and not spells that have been restricted to a class specialization.

Death Knight
    Blood Boil Glyph that changes Pestilence to Blood Boil. However, WoD Pestilence is basically Blood Boil+Pestilence combined.
    Blood Parasites Add a companian/battle pet to replace Bloodworms. Call it "Lost Bloodworm"
    Mark of Blood ... this got removed long time ago, it ain't comin back

Druid
    Bear Hug Nope
    Symbiosis Hell no, Symbiosis was aweful!
    Hibernate A glyph that changes the functionality of Entangling Roots- Puts target to sleep, breaks instantly on damage? Or changes Cyclone.

Hunter
    Pet Ability(Cower) This should not have been removed. I doubt that Hunters will be compensated for its loss in soloing
    Eyes of the Beast YES PLZ

Mage
    Flame Orb In all honesty, Flame Orb, while shiny, didn't make a significant difference to Fire Mages, but did make a huge difference to Arcane (Many free casts procs). I do wonder why they removed this instead of just adding an orb for everyone? Should be a talent,

Monk
    Clash Was a buggy ability in PvE, and BrM had many CCs in PvP. Deserved the removal
    Avert Harm Part of tank raid CD removal. Won't miss
    Healing Sphere Not removed due to button bloat, as it was replaced with Healing Surge. Will miss. Had good usage for storing up heals for later when no target/extra energy
    Spinning Fire Blossom Shiny ability. Could be used as chi dump with CJL when you couldn't hit boss (Thok). Will miss, shouldn't have been removed. Also, you forgot Spinning Fire Blossom

Paladin
    Blinding Light Part of CC reduction. Will not miss.
    Holy Light Is staying, Divine Light is what was removed.
    Hand of Salvation Should not have been removed, but makes no sense as glyph.

Priest
    Spirit Shell Was tricky to balance for Disc, but useful and seperated great disc from good disc. Will miss.
    Void Shift Powerful ability in PvP, much more powerful with health changes next expansion. Emergency CD for PvE. Had niche area, was removed for PvP reasons
    Rogue
    Disarm Trap Removed as Traps have changed. Will have no use in WoD.
    Redirect Was made baseline, why would you even?...
    Shadow Blades Extra CD, was removed due to removal of burst CD stacking.

Shaman
    Earthquake Ability that has been mostly useful. Sad to see removed
    Bind Elemental Could be a glyph that changes Hex
    Totemic Recall Should not have been removed. Will have to make macros to cancel totems now.
    Water Shield Was made baseline, will not miss. Got tired of seeing !@#$ing stupid elemental/enhance shamans using it

Warlock
    Demonic Breath Extremely weak ability that nobody took. Was shiny affect, but meh. A minor glyph that causes you to do the same affect akin to comtemplation/ect for other classes would be neat
    Fel Flame With the change to DoTs/Pandemic, Corruption/Agony can be used for Affliction on the move, Demo has tons of instant-cast spells. Destro does need it though.
    Metamorphosis: Void Ray Redundant. Its basically Fel Flame
    Metamorphosis: Carrion Swarm Yea, why was this removed again? I liked this ability as Demo.

Warrior
    Beserker Stance Niche stance, blizz is experimenting with stances. May see this added again.
    Cleave Glyph that causes HS to hit 1 extra target, but do 30% less damage
    Demoralizing Banner Part of Raid CD removal for everyone, won't come back
    Overpower While it was an iconic spell, it was basically a glorified auto-attack that prevented Arms from being able to be a "heavy hitter". With its removal,
    Throw What.. umm.. Why would you even? Heroic Throw should have no CD, thats about it.

/10charsbecausequotesdontcount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    For fun flavour spells, like Eyes of the Beast, yes.

For others -- maybe most of them -- it doesn't make sense to move them to glyph. Some of those are DPS/throughput abilities where moving them to glyph would make them mandatory. If Blizzard wanted that, they wouldn't have gotten rid of those. Others don't even make sense in the context of Warlords, like Redirect. And others were removed because they had balance or tuning issues, or were redundant... in which case, relocating them to a glyph slot doesn't eliminate the problem that removing them was trying to fix.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    For fun flavour spells, like Eyes of the Beast, yes.

For others -- maybe most of them -- it doesn't make sense to move them to glyph. Some of those are DPS/throughput abilities where moving them to glyph would make them mandatory. If Blizzard wanted that, they wouldn't have gotten rid of those. Others don't even make sense in the context of Warlords, like Redirect. And others were removed because they had balance or tuning issues, or were redundant... in which case, relocating them to a glyph slot doesn't eliminate the problem that removing them was trying to fix.
    Flavor spells remind us of the Warriors we have vanquished and either learned from (ex. Eadric the Pure's Blinding Light from The Argent Tournament; Mark of Blood from Saurfang in Icecrown etc.) Some have a more distinguished history dating all the way back to Warcraft III (ex. Earthquake, Carrion Swarm, Corpse Explosion) and seeing these on the chopping block takes those memories with them.

I'm sure the Eye of Kilrogg isn't really adding anything to the Warlock's arsenal and takes up much needed space in the spellbook but Warlock's everywhere would be sad to see it go. As a flavor spell with limited applications in PvP or PvE it is best suited as a glyph like Monk's Zen Flight or Deathknight's Corpse Explosion. Yes not every spell i listed is really worth keeping (Warrior's "Throw" for example heh) but out of that list a few of you agreed you would like to keep some around.

As far as redundant spells I think the solution is the use of customized glyphs that trade spells/spell effects for Old spells. You could visually customize your character's spells via glyphs. If Mages can have a glyph that lets them choose between a Blue Fireball and a Red/Orange Fireball than why can't warlocks choose between a Black Void Ray or a Green Fel Flame? Instead of an Earthbinding Totem you could have an Earthquake that slows movement with the same instant cast and duration etc. etc. Anyway these are just my two cents.
    Last edited by Lastlivingsoul; 2014-06-23 at 09:06 PM.

Flavor spells remind us of the Warriors we have vanquished and either learned from (ex. Eadric the Pure's Blinding Light from The Argent Tournament; Mark of Blood from Saurfang in Icecrown etc.) Some have a more distinguished history dating all the way back to Warcraft III (ex. Earthquake, Carrion Swarm, Corpse Explosion) and seeing these on the chopping block takes those memories with them.
    If all you had for memories of WC3 were a few abilities in WoW I'd have to question whether you actually played WC3 in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shaman
    Totemic Recall
    Shouldn't even be removed - I don't understand the logic to remove spell, just so players need to make a macro for it.

I don't know why people are so worried about spells getting cut. This isn't the last WoW expansion and you can bet some of them will come back in future expansions. An ability reset just means the ability arms race will start up again. Not to mention many of them are like Hand of Salvation. It's removal just means tanks will hold better aggro etc. I mean hell I use Salv more tanks (to help OTs who have shitty gear) then I do in any other situation. But that doesn't mean I want it around still. On the contrary, I want tanks to stop attacking so the OT can pull off them instead of watching them get one shot from their own stupidity.

Deleted
    Glyph of Sentry Totem.

Glyph of Old Windfury Animation.

Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    If all you had for memories of WC3 were a few abilities in WoW I'd have to question whether you actually played WC3 in the first place.
    Please I been playin' Warcraft since Orcs and Humans. What you said makes no sense.

Please I been playin' Warcraft since Orcs and Humans. What you said makes no sense.
    You mean what you had said? You are the one who stated that the removal of these abilities is taking with it those memories of WC3. It honestly just makes you sound over-dramatic and takes away from any rational argument on the subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please knock it off with the petty bickering. It has nothing to do with anything.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Glyphs should be optional, and not something that is a clear increase in your performance over other glyphs because then they become mandatory.

For blood boil, it was merged with pestilence in spell effects.

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...49180928212993
    No need. The visuals were merged too.

Oh boy I'd love a mandatory glyph to grant me a spell I have to cast every minute which paths poorly in a line and draws ugly orange beams which tickle the enemy every so often

90% of these have no place as glyphs, they weren't removed arbitrarily, they just don't belong in the game

They're removing my precious Bloodworms? What. The. Actual. F**k.
    Please don't, Blizzard, please don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of me thinks we'll probably see some of these spells again as talents/'new' spells in later expansions.

I still don't get why Symbiosis is gone. Symbiosis is awesome.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLordDariusCrowley View Post
    They're removing my precious Bloodworms? What. The. Actual. F**k.
    Please don't, Blizzard, please don't.
    Have fun soloing Dreamwalker.

I still don't get why Symbiosis is gone. Symbiosis is awesome.
    Too complicated. Any spell where you need to go to a website to figure out what it does is bad design. I guess they could write all that down on the spell tooltip but the tooltip would take up your whole screen.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-06-23 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Have fun soloing Dreamwalker.
    Better try to get Invincible before it's too late.