Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo View Post
    I don't understand the joy of watching someone play a game. Even with sports I'd much rather play the game than watch someone else do it.
    People don't watch the game, they watch the player. Skill is irrelevant you just have to be entertaining.

Us swedes are awesome, true story

10+ Year Old Account
    I can not stand this chap, kudos to him though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Insane, completely insane.

I find a lot of his stuff funny but I would never be able to explain why he is so popular. I'm jelly.
    I have 100 subscribers and my highest viewed video only hase 60k views.
    He is funny for a lot of ppl with his over exaggerating style (I dont watch him because of this) + he is handsome for the little fan girls so there you have the best formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Absolutely disgusting.
    Ar you lookin in to mirror??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    The only reason I've even heard of him before this thread is because a streamer I watch was talking about this guy being a total bigot.

While I think it's amazing that a gamer can make good money just being a gamer, this guy .... ehhhhh.
    I heard his name before and actually watched one of his videos now. The way he said his name at the beginning: cringeworthy. I had to stop after 26seconds.

Apparently two threads on this, but I shall post my thoughts here.
    That is just insane. 4Million in ad sales? No wander game makers are all over youtube lets play people. That is an incredible amount of money. I wander how much of that he gets. Either way, I think it a little on the ridiculous side that he could so easily make a living off of nothing more then playing video games. Not testing them or helping in their development, just playing them on youtube. That just strikes me as a bit dumb. I mean, without those games he wouldn't be making any money. I mean sure he has a lot of subscribers, but his recent videos only hit like 3million views. Idk, I just don't find it a really legitimate way or something to be proud of that you make money purely because of someone else product. Itd be like a guy on youtube getting a livable wage just because he likes driving in circles in different cars or fishing or just sitting in different chairs. At this point hes just an advertiser that you cannot control nor get to advertise the proper products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Apparently two threads on this, but I shall post my thoughts here.
    That is just insane. 4Million in ad sales? No wander game makers are all over youtube lets play people. That is an incredible amount of money. I wander how much of that he gets. Either way, I think it a little on the ridiculous side that he could so easily make a living off of nothing more then playing video games. Not testing them or helping in their development, just playing them on youtube. That just strikes me as a bit dumb. I mean, without those games he wouldn't be making any money. I mean sure he has a lot of subscribers, but his recent videos only hit like 3million views. Idk, I just don't find it a really legitimate way or something to be proud of that you make money purely because of someone else product. Itd be like a guy on youtube getting a livable wage just because he likes driving in circles in different cars or fishing or just sitting in different chairs. At this point hes just an advertiser that you cannot control nor get to advertise the proper products.
    You do realise that game developers actively seek out this guy, its called Pewdie Bait, if you can name me one marketing ploy that would attract 8 million views for a tiny indie company like goat simulators then let me hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    You do realise that game developers actively seek out this guy, its called Pewdie Bait, if you can name me one marketing ploy that would attract 8 million views for a tiny indie company like goat simulators then let me hear it.
    I stand by my point. And they don't attract 8million views from this one guy. I looked and his most recent video had 3mil views. I saw the game goat simulator in various other places long before pewdiepie. He seems pretty annoying to most adults, you know, the ones with the money. A large portion of his fan base seems to be the younger audience who can only ask their parents for money. I will admit, youtube is a good way for indie games without a big name backing them to get exposure. However, the fact that pewdiepie is the reason is arguable. He is not a professional and probably just plays what ever games he wants to play while giving no real info about its game play, plot, or features. At least he didn't in any of the videos my brother was watching or that I tried to watch.

I would suspect that they would want to do some research into other ways to market themselves. Facebook is a good one. If a game is really good, word will get around about it. If one guy is what makes or breaks a game, a guy that seems to be annoying to most adults, then they probably don't have a very good game. They need to get to the people with money, not their kids. I am not implying all of his viewers are kids, but a lot of them are in the younger, don't have a lot if any of their own money range.

Not to mention, they probably watch pewdiepie for him and not the games. Sure, they might find the game interesting, but they probably find him a lot more interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    He seems pretty annoying to most adults, you know, the ones with the money. A large portion of his fan base seems to be the younger audience who can only ask their parents for money.
    You're talking as if the 'younger audience who can only ask their parents for money' demographic is somehow an inferior decision? It's one of the most exploitable markets out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    You're talking as if the 'younger audience who can only ask their parents for money' demographic is somehow an inferior decision? It's one of the most exploitable markets out there.
    Easily exploitable yes. However, to what extent will the parents act on their child's every whim for every indie game this guy plays? It is easy to influence a younger audience, but you still have to see about the parents paying. I know my parents never acted on my whims, nor could they afford to. Neither did my grandparents. Sure once in a while they would, but not often. So how would targeting the kids create more money? Unless this is a case of puppy dog eyes get the money from the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    How is this coming from a guy with a Pokemon for his avatar? That's one of the best examples to prove that kids are indeed profitable to market towards.
    What does my avatar have to do with attempting to prove the point I am discussing? I got pokemon games for my birthday when I was growing up. I never once just Randomly got one. I didn't get a game or a system unless it was a special occasion. Now that I am older, I get them myself. The main player base is actually adults. The toys is what the kids usually get. Games are a lot more expensive. If they are indie games and are only bought on line, that alone will push some people off because kids Are easily manipulated. They may not trust a no body with their card info. Those are much cheaper then a game. So, wanna run this one by me one more time? Like, whats the point and what are you trying to state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easily exploitable yes. However, to what extent will the parents act on their child's every whim for every indie game this guy plays? It is easy to influence a younger audience, but you still have to see about the parents paying. I know my parents never acted on my whims, nor could they afford to. Neither did my grandparents. Sure once in a while they would, but not often. So how would targeting the kids create more money? Unless this is a case of puppy dog eyes get the money from the parents.
    1. Make child want product
    2. Child nags
    3. Average western parent with money to afford video games but no child-rearing backbone purchases

I'd say it's the norm rather than the occasion.

- - - Updated - - -

What does my avatar have to do with attempting to prove the point I am discussing? I got pokemon games for my birthday when I was growing up. I never once just Randomly got one. I didn't get a game or a system unless it was a special occasion. Now that I am older, I get them myself. The main player base is actually adults. The toys is what the kids usually get. Games are a lot more expensive. If they are indie games and are only bought on line, that alone will push some people off because kids Are easily manipulated. They may not trust a no body with their card info. Those are much cheaper then a game. So, wanna run this one by me one more time? Like, whats the point and what are you trying to state.
    His point is that Pokemon makes a ton of money from advertising to children, which it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    1. Make child want product
    2. Child nags
    3. Average western parent with money to afford video games but no child-rearing backbone purchases

I'd say it's the norm rather than the occasion.
    Sad that that is the norm.

His point is that Pokemon makes a ton of money from advertising to children, which it does.
    Well, pokemon is vastly popular as games with adults. So I wouldn't know how well it does as a game for kids since I mostly see adults or teens playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad that that is the norm.
    It's not a new thing either, though backbone was a little more common a generation or two ago. Children are their parent's psychological weakpoint, at least in the cases where the parents actually love their children. Even the parents with backbone will occasionally buckle to their child if the child wants that game enough.

Well, pokemon is vastly popular as games with adults. So I wouldn't know how well it does as a game for kids since I mostly see adults or teens playing it.
    I'm a 23 year old that owns a 3DS and a personal copy of Pokemon Y, trust me I know that adults play the game too. But the amount of games/figurines/cards/etc I was able to wean out of my mum between birthdays, christmas, 'just this one times', 'you did your chores', etc as a child over the years was eventually astronomical. As an adult I only really get the core product and don't bother with any of the frilly extras. Also take note that any kids who played the first generation of pokemon are adults now, and not everyone grows out of those kinds of interests completely.

After weeks of YT recommending me his videos/channel everywhere it could, I took the dive. He's hilarious, genuine, and a nice guy. You can't argue with a guy that busts his ass to donate to charity, and does what he loves.

If you're jelly, make your own YouTube channel and earn a slice of that...

pie!

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand by my point. And they don't attract 8million views from this one guy. I looked and his most recent video had 3mil views.
    Well, they did and here too and 11 million for slender i could go on and on.

The rest of your post is conjecture so I wont delve in to that.

Didn't PewDiePie start the whole "Slender Man" craze that resurfaced as of late?

Deleted
    sorry, no hate but he is like a 12 year old boy trapped inside a man's body. i don't like him because he is immature, but sure, i am happy he made a fortune . lucky guy

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    sorry, no hate but he is like a 12 year old boy trapped inside a man's body. i don't like him because he is immature, but sure, i am happy he made a fortune . lucky guy
    Ever think that's the persona he plays, and not how he really acts? I mean, if I could be raking in even 6 figures by acting like a retarded spaz while streaming/recording myself playing games, you be your ass I would.

I'm at least assuming that he actually acts differently in real life. No clue, as I can't be bothered to watch any more of his vids (watched one...once, was more than enough for me).