GTX 470 SLI or HD 7950?

I have a single GTX 470 and I have the option to either get a second GTX 470 to do SLI or I can get a single HD 7950. Which one is better?

Deleted
    Isn't HD 7950 just barely better than a single gtx 470? You should probably post about your whole rig before asking for advice, personally I wouldn't advice anyone to get SLI setups without knowing what's under the hood.

Don't know anything about your comp, but another 470 would be better. I'd say save your money and get a gtx 770 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubsoda View Post
    Isn't HD 7950 just barely better than a single gtx 470? You should probably post about your whole rig before asking for advice, personally I wouldn't advice anyone to get SLI setups without knowing what's under the hood.
    A 7950 has 3gb of VRAM vs 1GB of VRAM in the gtx 470. And based on the reviews, it averages 20fps higher than the 470 on games like Metro at 2k resolution.

I don't have all of the specs. It's for a friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd personally go wit the dual SLI if you have a good mobo and I would highly recommend sticking with nvidia due to the terrible experiences I had with AMD based cards.. In my opinion they're just cheaply made no matter what company you go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubsoda View Post
    A GTX 470 is 3 tiers below a 7950...So no a 750 is not just barely better than a single 470.
    Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html

Depending on the price of the 2nd 470 you would have to check benchmarks for the games you play to determine which is the better choice.

Always remember that you can sell your current 470 on ebay to help with the cost of a 7950.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    VRAM is starting to be a concern again, especially now that 1440p is 'commonplace'
    1440p is commonplace?

HD 7950 without a doubt.

Deleted
    400 series, hot, noisy, and power hungry. I'd absolutely avoid going SLI with them - I'd even hesitate if it was 500 series cards for the same reasons (not quite as bad but still pretty intolerable during load).
    agree

i have a 460 by palit, worst card i ever owned. can't wait to get rid of that piece of shit
    instead of upgrading now and going SLi i would recommend saving a little more and depending on how much time you have to save the cash either go for a 760/770 or wait for the 800 series.

- - - Updated - - -

VRAM is starting to be a concern again, especially now that 1440p is 'commonplace'.
    i thought 1440p is for uber-enthusiasts ...
    i like decent hardware and stuff, but i'll stick to 1080p for now ... that way i can mirror my desktop 1:1 to my tv for couch-gaming with 1440p i'd always have to mess with some settings when i switch from one screen to the other ...