Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Thinking of confessing to Blizzard about breaking the game rules.

So, I've been an honest WoW player since I started playing back in early TBC. I've made friends, obtained rare items, and had an ordinary run of the mill experience with the game. Recently, most of my friends have stopped playing. They are planning to return come Warlords of Draenor, but I wasn't done with Mists of Pandaria myself. Following the announcement that Challenge Modes and their rewards will be removed when patch 6.0 hits, I decided to transfer to a more populated server in hopes of finding players to complete all the Challenge Mode Dungeons with.

However, after being on the server for several days, searching for guilds or groups to run said Challenge Modes, I had found nothing. I was feeling bored and frustrated, to the point where I decided to humour one of the many random tradechat spammers about their Challenge Mode boosting services. I had nowhere near enough ingame gold to buy one, and I am and have always been passionately against buying gold with real money. However, I found that the Challenge Mode booster actually offered these Challenge Mode boosts for real money, NOT ingame gold. I was both disgusted and intrigued by this, and in the end my poor judgement got the better of me and I bought a boost for all 9 Challenge Modes. However, even before the deed was finished, I knew I had done something terrible that went against my own philosophy in almost every way possible, as well as, most importantly, Blizzard's Terms of Service.

I've reached a point where I am considering confessing this to Blizzard. I'm a huge fan of WoW and everything Warcraft related, and I've been a fan of Blizzard in general for longer than I can remember. However, despite this I have ruined what was up till now a clean slate. I've accomplished many things ingame since I started playing and now I'm tore between my fear of losing my account and my guilt of breaking the games rules.

What I want to know is, just what kind of consequences am I facing should I choose to do this? A temporary ban and the revoking of all my Challenge Mode rewards is something I am more than prepared for, but from what I've read I could be facing permanent closure of my account should Blizzard become aware of this. I've tried to justify it by telling myself that I am more than capable of earning the Challenge Mode rewards with my own skill had I actually had a group to play with, as I have done a great deal of endgame raiding this expansion, but even on crowded servers most of the runs are just boosts. I've also tried to justify it by telling myself that I was paying to be part of the group, not to be boosted, under the same logic I mentioned before.

But no, I've been proud of my honesty up until now and I feel like I've ruined it. If anyone can learn anything from this, then learn that the feeling of earning something yourself is something you can NEVER buy.

Nothing. No one will care.

Deleted
    Nothing will happen, nobody cares and Blizzard will not do anything. They have alot more important stuff on their plates.

But I do appreciate your honesty, not often you see it in the modern world!

10+ Year Old Account
    You could have tried finding a group on openraid... >.<
    That and similar sites/addons. *cough* OQ.

Too bad you didn't search for other "solutions" before you became involved with those boost-for-real-money-people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    MMO-C is the depressing retirement home of world of warcraft. This is where all the old and retired players come to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone in this arrangement benefits from you "confessing."

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Reporting yourself to Blizzard accomplishes nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Blizzard is going to worry too much about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neyara View Post
    You could have tried finding a group on openraid... >.<
    That and similar sites/addons. *cough* OQ.

Too bad you didn't search for other "solutions" before you became involved with those boost-for-real-money-people.
    OQ... O.M.G. the amount of CM's going on are insane. It's quite easy now to get in to them even if you don't
    have gold with a previous toon, sooooo many people want them done.

Blizzard doesn't care what you do pal, just keep forking over that sub fee every month and all is forgiven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reporting yourself is beyond stupid. If you pulled your weight in that group that it is perfectly sound to justify it to yourself as paying for the convenience of being part of that group. If you really can't live with yourself go earn them again.

I wouldn't worry much about it, man. Blizzard probably won't do anything about it either.

How would you benefit from reporting yourself? A clean conscience? How you feel about yourself wouldn't change because you still commited the act. Just know that you learned from your mistake and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jofrien View Post
    So, I've been an honest WoW player since I started playing back in early TBC. I've made friends, obtained rare items, and had an ordinary run of the mill experience with the game. Recently, most of my friends have stopped playing. They are planning to return come Warlords of Draenor, but I wasn't done with Mists of Pandaria myself. Following the announcement that Challenge Modes and their rewards will be removed when patch 6.0 hits, I decided to transfer to a more populated server in hopes of finding players to complete all the Challenge Mode Dungeons with.

However, after being on the server for several days, searching for guilds or groups to run said Challenge Modes, I had found nothing. I was feeling bored and frustrated, to the point where I decided to humour one of the many random tradechat spammers about their Challenge Mode boosting services. I had nowhere near enough ingame gold to buy one, and I am and have always been passionately against buying gold with real money. However, I found that the Challenge Mode booster actually offered these Challenge Mode boosts for real money, NOT ingame gold. I was both disgusted and intrigued by this, and in the end my poor judgement got the better of me and I bought a boost for all 9 Challenge Modes. However, even before the deed was finished, I knew I had done something terrible that went against my own philosophy in almost every way possible, as well as, most importantly, Blizzard's Terms of Service.

I've reached a point where I am considering confessing this to Blizzard. I'm a huge fan of WoW and everything Warcraft related, and I've been a fan of Blizzard in general for longer than I can remember. However, despite this I have ruined what was up till now a clean slate. I've accomplished many things ingame since I started playing and now I'm tore between my fear of losing my account and my guilt of breaking the games rules.

What I want to know is, just what kind of consequences am I facing should I choose to do this? A temporary ban and the revoking of all my Challenge Mode rewards is something I am more than prepared for, but from what I've read I could be facing permanent closure of my account should Blizzard become aware of this. I've tried to justify it by telling myself that I am more than capable of earning the Challenge Mode rewards with my own skill had I actually had a group to play with, as I have done a great deal of endgame raiding this expansion, but even on crowded servers most of the runs are just boosts. I've also tried to justify it by telling myself that I was paying to be part of the group, not to be boosted, under the same logic I mentioned before.

But no, I've been proud of my honesty up until now and I feel like I've ruined it. If anyone can learn anything from this, then learn that the feeling of earning something yourself is something you can NEVER buy.
    No need to say anything. Just don't do it again and you'll be fine. We all make mistakes. Just learn from them.

Pretty much nothing will happen honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    No need to say anything. Just don't do it again and you'll be fine. We all make mistakes. Just learn from them.
    ^^ This. It's clear from how you feel about the situation that you've already learned from your mistake. What would additional punishment accomplish?
    Chiqaboom / Proudmoore-US

Forget about it, you didn't break any rules because you didn't purchase any in-game gold and the money transfer has nothing to do with what Blizzard is worried about. If you purchased in game gold, then there may be an issue.....but other than that you are clear.

Deleted
    Nothing will happen, don't flatter yourself...nobody gives a damn about some individual who isn't even breaking any rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post
    ^^ This. It's clear from how you feel about the situation that you've already learned from your mistake. What would additional punishment accomplish?
    What makes, the only thing he is guilty of is being a wuss...I don't mean it in the insulting manner but rather in the "too nice" sense.

Deleted
    Kudos to you OP for being a honest man. I thought your kind has long since gone extinct.
    I doubt Blizzard will get out of their way to go after you. I guess you can give yourself a self punishment like not playing WoW for a month or so... or you could just delete that transmog gear and never restore it.

Deleted
    they don't give a damn.

I've done a lot more shady stuff than this and nothing has ever happened.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Doubt I would do it personally, but it's a victimless crime so at the end of the day, who cares?

Service rendered for money, once upon a time power leveling existed and was frowned upon and now it's sold at the blizzard store.