Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Top 10 Subscription MMO in 2013 (WOW NO.1)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wow.../1100-6421191/

For the purposes of the report, "pay-to-play" MMOs are considered any games "that earn revenue from subscriptions, expansion packs, and microtransactions-based virtual items and services (e.g. experience boosts, items, mounts, and server transfer fees)."

World of Warcraft Earns $1.041 Billion Revenue in 2013

Still the most successful subscription-based MMO out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure this will spark reasonable discussion.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by kohan9347 View Post
    Still the most successful subscription-based MMO out there.
    Well this will certainly silence all those imaginary people saying it wasn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    NCSoft with 4 games up there, wow. Happy for SWTOR as well for hanging in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancing Minstrel View Post
    Well this will certainly silence all those imaginary people saying it wasn't.
    It should silence the people saying it's a dead or dying game or that other games are taking the throne (which will never happen or at least not any time soon).
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

10+ Year Old Account
    inb4 someone accuses Blizzard of doctoring numbers.

Also inb4 "lol wildstar will end that!"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Well there's no doubting it. I mean, it's not by a bit, it's by miles. 36% versus the next highest at 9% (and that's Lineage 1... I guess it's still massive in Asia).

Not bad for a decade old game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I am surprised to see Lord of the Rings Online on there, I did not know it was that popular

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well there's no doubting it. I mean, it's not by a bit, it's by miles. 36% versus the next highest at 9% (and that's Lineage 1... I guess it's still massive in Asia).

Not bad for a decade old game.
    Lineage is still the number one MMO played in Korea, they are crazy with it over there

Now lets compare it to all the various other genres.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    How many other genres do you even have the option to pay a subscription?

Okay.

WoW: 6-7 million subscribers
    non-sub based games: 0 subscribers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Happy to see SWTOR in there aswell. Always thought the game had something to it, even though it kind of went pay to play when it free to play

Too big to fail, probably around the same satisfaction rating as other things too big to fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom
    No. After the Cataclysm there will be an expansion for the zerg, and then an expansion for the protoss.

Idk why but I would of thought Eve would of been ahead of Lord of the rings. Isnt Lord of the rings shutting down, or not putting out new content or something along those lines?

no shit with all the freaking mounts and pets they sell.... and race changes, name changes, faction changes, and server transfers. but i gotta say wow is best mmo i have tried so far even though it gets boring every now and then. i just wish they created more 5 man dungeons.... and made them hard!!!! * and by hard i dont mean on timer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    How many other genres do you even have the option to pay a subscription?
    How big are the games in the graph compared to other games in the video game industry both subscription and non-subscription? What is the market for other AAA game titles and how much do others make? How large is the Indy market in relation to the AAA market?

10+ Year Old Account
    How big are the games in the graph compared to other games in the video game industry both subscription and non-subscription? What is the market for other AAA game titles and how much do others make? How large is the Indy market in relation to the AAA market?
    There are 7 billion people in the world. At the most only 7 million of those people play wow. So its pretty small really. 10% of 1%. Way more people play Angry Birds, or Tetris, or GTA. (The GTA series has sold more than 150 million units, as of September 2013.)
    Last edited by finskee; 2014-07-19 at 03:16 AM.

Is blade and soul released in the US yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    Conclusion: There's at least 15 milllion people out there who rather pay a subscription for something else than WoW.
    True, but then WoW has half of that on a 10 year old game. If that's not ridiculously impressive, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    Happy to see SWTOR in there aswell. Always thought the game had something to it, even though it kind of went pay to play when it free to play
    I still remember buying that game and shaking my head at it. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Of course that was just my opinion and I speak for no one but myself. I quit after a month and never looked back. But it's good to see that it is doing well since it went F2P. Love or hate whatever big budget MMO is out there, it takes an insane amount of work to create. You have to feel for the people that create these large worlds only to have it tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many of these games are dieing or wont be around next year? honestly is the subscription model profitable for any game bar wow?
    Hi